• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Actually made it to the range for an hour. Ran two mags through a new AR build, and brought my S&W 629 along for the ride. Haven't shot a big bore revolver in a while.

Anyway, I had targets set up at 25, 50 and 100 yards for the rifle, and decided to shoot the 629 at them too (it was easy enough to see the .44 holes as compared to the tiny AR holes in the target.)

I was able to put 3/6 shots on an 16" target @50, and 1 @100 - standing/off-hand, no bench rest. It got me thinking, that I could realistically improve these results with a bit of practice. Does anyone else shoot handguns at longer distances, and how often do you practice? Any tips? I've got to think that with a little bit of practice, I should be able to put all 6 on a 12" target @50. Not sure about 100 yards and beyond without a scope.

So who shoots off-hand for distance and how do you improve, other than trigger time? And good drills, etc?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Small targets closer and if you have access to a nice visible tree line. Place a target far away and practice dry fire. The fundamentals are just as important at 3 yards as 300.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only thing that really benefits is practice.

SCARCQB and I used to shoot at 105 yards on a somewhat regular basis, he's better at it - I got comfortable and stopped practicing, so I suck again.

20 oz. soda bottle at 105 yards makes for a good and challenging target once you have some practice. It's easier to start out with a B27 target at that distance.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I shoot my Buckmark at a 6" shoot n' see target pretty regularly at 100 yards. I have it zeroed for a center hold at 10 yards so I put the 6" target so the top is about 4" below the top of the target backing then try to center hold the top of the target backing board. With a rest I can keep at least half the shots on target that way most days. It is completely pointless but what the hell.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It gets easier when you figure out how much drop you have to account for, realistically.

My 4" M&P .45, I normally have to hold off about 16.5" - 17" high, I also give about 6" to the left since I tend to pull some when at distance.

I've witnessed SCARCQB nearly bullseye one of those large diamond sight-in targets with a Commander size 1911, cold-bore shot. He was only about 2 inches low from a solid bullseye. Astounding cold-bore shot.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I regularly shoot handguns at 100 yards at myrtle grove. It is best to shoot during dry windless days. The dustcloud gives you instant feed back on targets and helps adjusting for holdover.

Been practicing wih a SW22 with winchester bulk ammo. I have a 70percent hit rate on clay pigeons at 105 yards. Unsupported, open sights, standing. Misses are no more than 6" deviation. I have not shot 45 ACP at that range in two years, so it is safe to say that im not good at it anymore.

Its not that hard with regular practice. Its also a lot of fun

Brad, we are due for some long range pistol sniping.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I regularly shoot handguns at 100 yards at myrtle grove. It is best to shoot during dry windless days. The dustcloud gives you instant feed back on targets and helps adjusting for holdover.

Been practicing wih a SW22 with winchester bulk ammo. I have a 70percent hit rate on clay pigeons at 105 yards. Unsupported, open sights, standing. Misses are no more than 6" deviation. I have not shot 45 ACP at that range in two years, so it is safe to say that im not good at it anymore.

Its not that hard with regular practice. Its also a lot of fun

Brad, we are due for some long range pistol sniping.

Agreed.

I was doing 50 yard sniping with a BHP and the M&P at MSAR earlier today. Wasn't very pretty, but COM was easy enough to maintain.

Perishable skill, I got a bit of rust to knock off.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Try Bullseye Pistol...in a 270 shot match, 90 of those shots are made one-handed at 50 yards (10 shots in 10 minutes). The black on the B-8 target is 8 inches across (that's the 8 ring)...the X-ring is 1.7" across! Great training, great focus on fundamentals..

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Try Bullseye Pistol...in a 270 shot match, 90 of those shots are made one-handed at 50 yards (10 shots in 10 minutes). The black on the B-8 target is 8 inches across (that's the 8 ring)...the X-ring is 1.7" across! Great training, great focus on fundamentals..

This is right on the money. The precision shooting events lay a rock-solid foundation. And when you know you can dump four of five shots into a paper plate-sized target at 50 yards - with one hand - you'll be confident about your shooting.

sweet j

Dec 30, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I use to set up small balloons at Delmarva. Put them at 50 and 100 yards. I could usually hit 3 of them within 6 shots at 50 yards and 1 within 10 shots with my Sr9c. Funny how I'm a better shot with that at long range than my Xdm 9. I really do need to practice more.

BanjoPicker

Aug 29, 2014
    Harford
    I regularly shoot pistol at 100 yards. I find it fun to stretch the limits of what I am able to achieve with a firearm. The loud metal PANG you get hitting a one foot target at 100 yds gives you such a rewarding feeling doesn't it?

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    It fun shooting my Blackhawk in .45 Colt at 100 yds. Shooting dirt clods in the backstop is good because you can adjust just by watching where it hits when the dust flies up.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    Actually made it to the range for an hour. Ran two mags through a new AR build, and brought my S&W 629 along for the ride. Haven't shot a big bore revolver in a while.

Anyway, I had targets set up at 25, 50 and 100 yards for the rifle, and decided to shoot the 629 at them too (it was easy enough to see the .44 holes as compared to the tiny AR holes in the target.)

I was able to put 3/6 shots on an 16" target @50, and 1 @100 - standing/off-hand, no bench rest. It got me thinking, that I could realistically improve these results with a bit of practice. Does anyone else shoot handguns at longer distances, and how often do you practice? Any tips? I've got to think that with a little bit of practice, I should be able to put all 6 on a 12" target @50. Not sure about 100 yards and beyond without a scope.

So who shoots off-hand for distance and how do you improve, other than trigger time? And good drills, etc?

I don't know how far you are from AGC but every Tuesday there is a bullseye match. 25 yards, and if you want to do 50 for slow fire you can.

12th precinct in Annapolis does bullseye every Wednesday.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Every now and then I like to participate in a friendly bullseye match/shoot. I also will shoot a few rounds slow fire at distance; mostly to just be reminded of my limitations. Generally I'm decent, at one time pretty good at bullseye. It's good to also shoot off-handed and around a barricade now and then.

There's some amazing long distance shooting with pistols on YouTube. Jerry Mickolic and Tim Vickers both are really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom