• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    If I have a Utah CC out of state permit is there any reason to get a VA CC out of state permit if I am a MD resident for carrying in this general area?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Mainly to comply with the GFSZA. That requires you to have a permit from the state where the school is located to be in the school zone (1000 feet). Some are of the opinion that if you spend more time in VA having a VA permit may minimize the chance a VA LEO may not acknowledge your UT permit right away. But I've seen no real proof of this.

I happen to have both. The law stipulates "knowingly" so you could use that as a defense if you were to be in violation. It's a Federal statute, not VA.

Attachments

• GFSZA.pdf
      933.2 KB · Views: 107

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's a good idea in general to have a second permit in general. Differing renewal dates incase of a brain fade. Keep one in the billfold or neck ID holder, another in the big wallet about yay thick that you take out of backpocket while driving. Redundency in case two particular states get in a urination contest over each other's permits.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It's a good idea in general to have a second permit in general.Differing renewal dates incase of a brain fade. Keep one in the billfold or neck ID holder, another in the big wallet about yay thick that you take out of backpocket while driving. Redundency in case two particular states get in a urination contest over each other's permits.

Not to mention overlapping coverage of states. I have 7 permits (including UT and VA) for these reasons, fall with different expiration dates. Utah is good in Delaware (think beaches), VA is not.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not to mention overlapping coverage of states. I have 7 permits (including UT and VA) for these reasons, fall with different expiration dates. Utah is good in Delaware (think beaches), VA is not.

Exactly. With Maryland's piss poor reciprocity with other states, and understandably so, one has to get a wallet full of permits if you do any kind of extensive travelling....

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'm in VA 75% of the time and didn't think UT was worth it. Only placed I've wanted to go and couldn't were PA and SC. IIRC, I don't think UT gave me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    For the relatively small fee's for both permits I would and did get both. Find a class that offers both at the same time. That's what I did as a matter of fact I got got fla, UT and VA. all in the same day of class's. you can never have enough permits.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And as noted above , UT is recognized in DE , where Va is not. And the renewals for UT are so inexpensive, it is essentially a one time expendature, where by I let my Va lapse because of the price increase..

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Anyone know of low-cost UT CCW training in/near Montgomery county aside from Gilbert?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Maryland Small Arms in Laural gives discount permit classes. I took my hql and UT permit classes there. Great teacher, He is a member here.

I appreciate the tip.. I saw them earlier while searching.. Probably not worth the two hour round trip to save $20 though

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Duke's Defense is not too far away.

And before the class, you can visit 2A, which is about 3 - 4 doors down. :)

mike20855

Mar 3, 2015
    Where at in MoCo?

These guys www.helpmeshoot.com have a class coming up in Frederick. $50.00/person.

I'm in Gaithersburg.. Frederick is perfect.. I just checked and they also have it this Sunday in Hagerstown. It's $80 for two people.. maybe I'll post a separate topic seeing if anyone wants to go halfsies and save another $10

thanks! :D

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I'm in Gaithersburg.. Frederick is perfect.. I just checked and they also have it this Sunday in Hagerstown. It's $80 for two people.. maybe I'll post a separate topic seeing if anyone wants to go halfsies and save another $10

thanks! :D

No problem.

That class is good for the training requirements for a lot of other states' non res permits and they include either four or six photos so you don't have to spend money on additional photos when applying to other states.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    And as noted above , UT is recognized in DE , where Va is not. And the renewals for UT are so inexpensive, it is essentially a one time expendature, where by I let my Va lapse because of the price increase..

I agree with this. I will let my VA expire bc of the cost. All I need is UT and DE

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom