• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    I thought I read that 16 hrs of training would be required in MD to get a carry permit. I did not see anything in the Stickey above on this topic. What course would you recommend and who offers it.
    Thanks,
    Dan

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I recommend PM'ing member 3rdcn here. He offers the course and is very thorough. He hires a 2A friendly lawyer to offer advice and answer legal questions during the course.

Dan_Br

Jan 19, 2013
    Carroll County
    I recommend PM'ing member 3rdcn here. He offers the course and is very thorough. He hires a 2A friendly lawyer to offer advice and answer legal questions during the course.

tried putting his user name in search and nothing comes up. I also looked in the community list and could not find him

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Kinda.

You can use your CCW course to get your HQL but not the other way around. Clear as mud?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Some people are exempt (people who owned a handgun prior to the law taking effect and others) from HQL class and the Hunter Safety class also qualifies for HQL Training.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You will need the 16 -hour class for your initial application. If you gat your carry permit, when it comes time to renew (assuming nothing changes), you will need to take the 8-hour renewal class.

Many of the instructors on MDS offer the class. Some of us offer it as a one-on-one and others as a group class.

The real issue is not the class as much as it is getting the MSP to issue the permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom