• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Did you ever think that maybe the law isn't the reason they won't sell or ship to Maryland? I know of at least 4 gun shops in Virginia that will not sell any firearms to Maryland residents even though they can simply because they no longer want to deal with the ever changing regulations and liability of processing the sale...How can any manufacturer or distributor know what the law bans if the list seems to grow every week at the whim of the state police? If I were a manufacturer or distributor I wouldn't chance it...not if my business and the livelihood of my employees could be put into jeopardy if I ship something that becomes illegal during the week that the firearm or component is in transit...

I dont disagree with you, but I never understood why any company would pass up a chance to make a buck. To reduce your potential client base by millions doesn't make much sense to me.

Due diligence is necessary for every business. Keeping track of what's legal or not, I would think, is part of that. A simple cost benefit analysis would show, either way, if it makes sense or not. In any case, their choice but i am guessing the other VA businesses are quite happy 4 players are no longer in the mix.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Did you ever think that maybe the law isn't the reason they won't sell or ship to Maryland? I know of at least 4 gun shops in Virginia that will not sell any firearms to Maryland residents even though they can simply because they no longer want to deal with the ever changing regulations and liability of processing the sale...How can any manufacturer or distributor know what the law bans if the list seems to grow every week at the whim of the state police? If I were a manufacturer or distributor I wouldn't chance it...not if my business and the livelihood of my employees could be put into jeopardy if I ship something that becomes illegal during the week that the firearm or component is in transit...

The AR10 wasn't banned by statute and has been re-affirmed by evaluation of the M&P 10. I get your point though.

I'm just asking if anyone has received an AR10/AR15 lower from Brownells since 10/1/2013 since this thread left us hanging.

Last edited:

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Wow, thread back from the dead is right.

Brownells never got back to me, and from what I understand they still do not ship AR10/308 receivers to MD, let alone AR-15 receivers. I think they may ship the receivers if the dealers themselves order them, but not if an individual pays upfront.

It turned out I got a better deal on a Black Rain Ordnance AR-10/308 matching upper/lower receiver set at Firearms4Less, who were more then happy to ship to MD. Good receivers, however as with all AR 308 builds there were fitting and other small discrepancies that had to be worked out before the rifle starting functioning flawlessly.

The AR10 wasn't banned by statute and has been re-affirmed by evaluation of the M&P 10. I get your point though.

I'm just asking if anyone has received an AR10/AR15 lower from Brownells since 10/1/2013 since this thread left us hanging.

I know the AR10 isn't banned. In fact I just got an Oracle on Saturday...But this could be why they have stopped selling the parts in Maryland...A few months ago I purchased an ARES DEFENSE SCR from a distributor in Michigan and had it shipped to an FFL. I was assured by the director of sales at ARES that the gun was legal in all 50 states even though it has an AR upper with a standard (not HBAR) barrel. My FFL would not release it to me because there was no ruling on it from MSP. I had to have the President of ARES DEFENSE call my FFL to convince him that the rifle was legal. While this was going on, the FFL had contacted MSP to get a ruling. It took 3 weeks for them to confirm that the gun was indeed OK to transfer...What company wants to deal with this kind of nonsense? Sometimes it's just easier to forgo the potential profit...it's not worth the headaches and possible litigation and liability...

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I know the AR10 isn't banned. In fact I just got an Oracle on Saturday...But this could be why they have stopped selling the parts in Maryland...A few months ago I purchased an ARES DEFENSE SCR from a distributor in Michigan and had it shipped to an FFL. I was assured by the director of sales at ARES that the gun was legal in all 50 states even though it has an AR upper with a standard (not HBAR) barrel. My FFL would not release it to me because there was no ruling on it from MSP. I had to have the President of ARES DEFENSE call my FFL to convince him that the rifle was legal. While this was going on, the FFL had contacted MSP to get a ruling. It took 3 weeks for them to confirm that the gun was indeed OK to transfer...What company wants to deal with this kind of nonsense? Sometimes it's just easier to forgo the potential profit...it's not worth the headaches and possible litigation and liability...

I have to ask this, but on what grounds did MSP say that rifle was legal. Does your FFL have an exact quote from them? Just curious what MSP's opinion is on rifles like that.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    What am I missing? AFAIK, AR-15 lowers are not banned. I bought one cash-and-carry last year from a MD dealer. They only become banned if you put a non-H-bar upper on them. Given that AR-15 lowers are perfectly legal, I can't understand why an AR-10 lower would be any issue.

NoMoreTreadingOnUs

Apr 2, 2013
    Garrett County
    Slightly OT but I tried to purchase an AR10 at the Harrisburg gun show on Saturday but the dealer would not sell to MD residents. Nice guy but felt the MD regs are too confusing (i.e. why would AR10 be OK when many AR15 are not?) and didn't want to take the risk. Heard similar response from 2 other dealers. The experience reignited my disgust for our esteemed legislators.

shiner500

Jul 8, 2011
    Maryland
    What am I missing? AFAIK, AR-15 lowers are not banned. I bought one cash-and-carry last year from a MD dealer. They only become banned if you put a non-H-bar upper on them. Given that AR-15 lowers are perfectly legal, I can't understand why an AR-10 lower would be any issue.

You bought an ar-15 lower as cash and carry?

I have to ask this, but on what grounds did MSP say that rifle was legal. Does your FFL have an exact quote from them? Just curious what MSP's opinion is on rifles like that.

Of course not. MSP doesn't provide reasoning...because it's arbitrary and there is no real reason other than "because we say so".

The reason why ARES says it's legal is because the gun is shipped with none of the "scary" black rifle features...it has an 870 style butt stock, no pistol grip, no flash hider/muzzle brake, no sights, no lug, no nothing. it is meant to be completely customizable. It has a standard AR upper that can be changed along with the bolt to fire any caliber that an AR 15 can comes in.... but since the states that have banned AR15s describe their reasoning for their bans by citing these scary features and this rifle has none, it's legal everywhere...

Slightly OT but I tried to purchase an AR10 at the Harrisburg gun show on Saturday but the dealer would not sell to MD residents. Nice guy but felt the MD regs are too confusing (i.e. why would AR10 be OK when many AR15 are not?) and didn't want to take the risk. Heard similar response from 2 other dealers. The experience reignited my disgust for our esteemed legislators.

Yep, tried the same thing..More and more out of state stores are turning Md residents away. I'm not surprised. Why take the chance when MSP can arbitrarily deny you the RIGHT to own anything they deem regulated and banned? There is no rhyme or reason behind much of it and it's my opinion it was done like this on purpose. Just like refusing to define GOOD AND SUBSTANTIAL...It's all done to create chaos within the community...

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    very interesting thread. Hadn't thought about the fact that AR15 lowers are legal - good point. Regarding the whole buying an AR10 lower I wonder what would happen if a FFL called the company to order the lower and then - legally - transferred to you. I wonder if Brownells would go for that (or any of the other folks not selling to MD).

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    CTD isn't cheap either. I find the best deals no matter where they are. I have stuff shipped from Colorado to a MD FFL and saved hundreds.

In fact, most huge stores are way more expensive then other smaller online places. Cabelas, Dicks, Brownells, Bass Pro, CTD, all WAY overpriced when they should be the cheapest of them all. Rarely buy from any of them.

Scarab

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm, they HAVE to ship to an MD FFL. An MD FFL can legally receive ANYTHING, and sell ANYTHING, as long as banned items are not sold to MD residents.

So how is an out of state dealer liable???????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom