• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    I think I've narrowed my 9mm handgun search down to these 2 guns.

I just like how they feel in my hand. The triggers do feel different. The PPQ has a long travel and seems to have no resistance/wall before the trigger breaks. I have to go on length of travel and just guess when it's going to break not sure if this is good or bad. The VP9 trigger felt good it had a wall with resistance, but not heavy before it would break.

I'd like your pros and cons on these 2 guns. Thanks

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    Minuteman thanks for posting the YouTube clips. I've yet to lay my hands on a CZ. I looked at G17/19 gen4 but the grip is a tad big I have to rotate my strong hand around to reach slide release.

Well I'm off to the Fredneck Gun Show to do some more shopping.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I've got a PPQ M1 in 9x19. It's got the nicest trigger pull on any striker fired gun I've ever felt, and it's quite accurate to boot.

I think that the VP9 has less felt recoil and muzzle flip, however. They're both very fine handguns and you won't go wrong selecting either one.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Minuteman thanks for posting the YouTube clips. I've yet to lay my hands on a CZ. I looked at G17/19 gen4 but the grip is a tad big I have to rotate my strong hand around to reach slide release.

Well I'm off to the Fredneck Gun Show to do some more shopping.

Just a note on the Glock, you can put an extended slide release on it. It's small from the factory because they intend for the slingshot method of release to be used.

That said, I'd go with the Hk if the budget allows.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    In hindsight, if you plan to only own one handgun; get a DA/SA pistol so you can dry fire practice with it and not develop the bad habit of charging or cocking between each dry fire shot. A very serious trainer once told me that a student of his, during a simulated firefight racked the slide between each shot out of habit from dry fire practice. Student didn't even realize he did this until he watched the video of his own performance.

SP-01 is probably your best option. P07 is also a great option.

Last edited:

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    I have a P-99, just took it out of the safe a month of so ago for the first time in a long time after shooting a Glock 19 mostly.

The P-99 has a mag release lever on the trigger guard like the HK, but it's really short and kind of a pain in the butt.

The PPQ M-1 improved the trigger guard mag release lever by lengthening it more like the HK style, much easier to manipulate with your trigger finger.

The PPQ M-2 canned the trigger guard mag lever and has a large mag release button like most other semi-auto pistols.

If this is a feature you like on the HK, but you're leaning Walther, you might want to shop around for a M-1.

I did the paperwork on a M-2 Tuesday and that was the one thing causing me pause.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Haven't had a chance to handle a vp9 yet, but I can say the ppq is just not for me. Just doesn't feel right in the hand :shrug:

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    In hindsight, if you plan to only own one handgun; get a DA/SA pistol do you can dry fire practice with it and not develop the bad habit of charging or cocking between each dry fire shot. A very serious trainer once told me that a student of his, during a simulated firefight racked the slide between each shot out of habit from dry fire practice. Student didn't even realize he did this until he watched the video of his own performance.

SP-01 is probably your best option. P07 is also a great option.

Minuteman my plan is to own more than 1 handgun. I bought my first handgun April 2014 HK45. Like to get a 9mm and others.

Went to the Fredneck gun show and had a chance to grip and finger some other handguns CZ, Sig weren't to bad. CZ is all metal and price was good.

HumbleEinstein

May 31, 2012
    Falls Church, VA
    They are both good pistols. The PPQ has a better trigger. The VP9 has less felt recoil. The mag release on the VP9 is slightly easier to work; however, if you run your finger low on the trigger, as I do, then the area under the trigger on the VP9 will rub your finger raw. I had a P30 that I had to sell for that reason. Now I have a PPQ M1 to fill that roll.

I have short fingers also. I run my Glocks with all the extended features and I can reach them just fine on the Gen4 models with no back strap.

In addition, the absolute best gun I own is a CZ SP-01 Shadow that I have had a ton of internal custom work done to. I will never ever sell that gun. With the super extended mag release that comes on the SP-01 Shadow model and thin aluminum grips, I can reach the mag release without having to break my grip.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I think I've narrowed my 9mm handgun search down to these 2 guns.

I just like how they feel in my hand. The triggers do feel different. The PPQ has a long travel and seems to have no resistance/wall before the trigger breaks. I have to go on length of travel and just guess when it's going to break not sure if this is good or bad. The VP9 trigger felt good it had a wall with resistance, but not heavy before it would break.

I'd like your pros and cons on these 2 guns. Thanks

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The hump on the rear face of the grip is in the wrong spot. HK fixed this in the VP9.

yup, that's exactly what I didn't like about the ppq. Felt like there was something foreign between my hand and the gun. I haven't seen one review on the vp9 that wasn't glowing. I have to get my hands on one :brows:

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Nutnfancy? He should be called nutnshort. Omg, says the same stuff over and over...

Summaries are provided in the video description for a reason.

yup, that's exactly what I didn't like about the ppq. Felt like there was something foreign between my hand and the gun. I haven't seen one review on the vp9 that wasn't glowing. I have to get my hands on one :brows:

That pretty much has to do with the pricing since this is the first "reasonably" priced new HK. I can guarantee you if they priced this like they did the P30, the reviews would be significantly more negative.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

That pretty much has to do with the pricing since this is the first "reasonably" priced new HK. I can guarantee you if they priced this like they did the P30, the reviews would be significantly more negative.

so what you're saying is this is less a case of its the best gun ever, I'm more a case of it its the best gun in the price range?

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo

I'm pretty sure you're right on the fact that you might have a few more negative reviews...but with that said I've never seen a negative review on the grip of the P30, infact most say it's the best hand grip ever made if not one of the most comfortable. The complaints that most have with the HK P30 is the long spongy trigger you get out the box for the money spent on the firearm. VP9 has fixed this with a better competitive trigger and maintaining the grip design, plus a reasonable price point. This is truly a winner for HK. Also I have a P30 and absolutely hate the long trigger pull, but love the feel of it.

v4kerker

Mar 23, 2014
    Crownsville, MD
    I'm pretty sure you're right on the fact that you might have a few more negative reviews...but with that said I've never seen a negative review on the grip of the P30, infact most say it's the best hand grip ever made if not one of the most comfortable. The complaints that most have with the HK P30 is the long spongy trigger you get out the box for the money spent on the firearm. VP9 has fixed this with a better competitive trigger and maintaining the grip design, plus a reasonable price point. This is truly a winner for HK. Also I have a P30 and absolutely hate the long trigger pull, but love the feel of it.

wailer your right on spot. I have a HK45 Full V1 love the grip don't like the trigger, but working through it(first handgun purchase). My next handguns going to have a better trigger out of the box. I don't want to spend another 150-250 on a 1000 dollar handgun to have a good trigger. Live and learn on the MDshooter forum.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I have both and love both. My PPQ is an M2 which I got for the mag button. A nice addition to the PPQ is that they also make a 22lr version and the CCP carry pistol is very similar (although the jury is still out on it since it is so new.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom