• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    so last time i used my AR it started raining and i put it in the bag, i let it air out later that day but after revisiting it now i have some rust coloring on the flash hider and couple specs down the barrel.
    what is best to clean this off?

i have tried multiple, multi-purpose cleaners and mineral spirits. any recommendations on getting all of it off?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Any light oil and fine (000 or 0000) steel wool will remove light rust without harming the finish.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I wouldn't worry too much all out an AR and 0000 wool and lots of oil
    will be fine

For sensitive finishes I like to us brass or bronze ultrafine wool

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I would start with ballistol and a tooth brush. Keep working it until it stops taking off the rust. If there is some deeper rust use a wire brass brush and ballistol. Keep it well oiled with fresh oil while working it. After you get it as clean as it will get or good enough for your standards rinse and wipe clean with ballistol, than get a good coating of eezox on it to prevent a flare up of rust again.
    In my experience of humping around an M4 through the snow, rain, mud, and desert for 8+ years the flash hider is the hardest to keep rust free. It seems once it rusts over it will keep rusting over. You really got to stay on top of it. The steps I posted have lead to the best results to keep it clean and flare ups down.
    Next time if it does get wet don't put it in a case, maybe cover it with a blanket for travel just to keep some air on it. And spray it liberally with your oil of choice. At the end of my range sessions I spray my guns down with break free inside and out, than use chads http://www.scotts-gunsmithing.com/f-a-q/gunsmith-related-f-a-q/firearm-cleaning-tips/ method of cleaning when I get around to it.

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    so last time i used my AR it started raining and i put it in the bag, i let it air out later that day but after revisiting it now i have some rust coloring on the flash hider and couple specs down the barrel.
    what is best to clean this off?

i have tried multiple, multi-purpose cleaners and mineral spirits. any recommendations on getting all of it off?
    Try "Evaporust" <http://www.evapo-rust.com/> is for sale at Tractor Supply locally and also on-line. Best rust remover I have found and have used it to "de-rust" tools that had been abused

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Good thread for me. An LGS lost my new A2 FH while installing an AAC mount. A friend gave me one that was a brand new take off but it has rust in the slots. Sounds like an easy fix as I have all the fore mentioned supplies.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Try "Evaporust" <http://www.evapo-rust.com/> is for sale at Tractor Supply locally and also on-line. Best rust remover I have found and have used it to "de-rust" tools that had been abused

Be carefull with rust removers around firearms.

Bluing is a form of rust, and many rust removers will happily remove the blueing.

Parkerizing is a different process, but may be damaged by rust removers.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Light oil and steel wool.

And 20 lashes for letting your firearms develop rust. :spank:

Jul 1, 2012

Be carefull with rust removers around firearms.

Bluing is a form of rust, and many rust removers will happily remove the blueing.

Parkerizing is a different process, but may be damaged by rust removers.

Evapo-Rust is great but it will absolutely remove both bluing and at least some forms of parkerized finish, based on experimentation. It didn't take very long either.

Two other mechanical methods are a broken piece of plexiglas and sharpening the end of a chopstick.

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    Ballistol and 0000 was perfect. Was very little bit, just enough to notice and irritate you. Perfect now, thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom