• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I wanted an MVP in 5.56 when they first hit the market, then upon hearing rumors that a 308/7.62 nato model was in the works I held out to see what Mossberg would come out with. I wound up grabbing a Savage 10 FCP-SR from Hog Sniper. Can't say enough about the gun, great gun, really great price and even better service!

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes. An 18" barrel on a .308 gives a much more consistent powder burn; from an accuracy and velocity standpoint it's probably only 200ft/s difference.

+1

It also depends on the application. Speed is your best friend at distance given the same projectile ballistics. Slower speed means more drop and less wind resistance. If you are only shooting out a couple hundred yards you will probably be still within the kill zone for most game critters if you are starting with a rig, glass and shooter that can achieve about 1 MOA. YMMV

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm pretty sure that the 7.62 note above was referring to 7.62nato/.308win. I've been looking for a bargain .308 bolt for a while and I have not seen a single instance of a commercial gun chambered ONLY for 7.62. It really wouldn't make sense for a civy rifle but be sure to check carefully on the mfg's data page on their site.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    I'm pretty sure that the 7.62 note above was referring to 7.62nato/.308win. I've been looking for a bargain .308 bolt for a while and I have not seen a single instance of a commercial gun chambered ONLY for 7.62. It really wouldn't make sense for a civy rifle but be sure to check carefully on the mfg's data page on their site.

Yes, NATO.I feel the same way on the Civy part. A couple other forums ,guys have been using 308.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Any luck finding the Ruger in 300 BLK? I think that may be my next purchase. Looks like the perfect hunting rifle for my daughter and a cool suppressor host for me.

Did you see my PM from late last night? Hope you got one. The Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK (in FDE) is now sold out from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. I can find it at one other vendor but a $50 premium.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    They also have these MVP LR & LR Tactical versions now plus the formentioned Scout, making the choice more difficult. I like the 7.62/.308s w/threaded barrel...also looking at the Savage 11 Scout and the 10 FCP-SR...

Attachments

• MVP LR  27697.png
      MVP LR 27697.png
      14.5 KB · Views: 267
    • MVP LR Tactical  27699.jpg
      MVP LR Tactical 27699.jpg
      7.5 KB · Views: 281
    • MVP Scout 27779.png
      MVP Scout 27779.png
      16 KB · Views: 276
    • MVP Patrol  762mm NATO Scoped 27739.png
      MVP Patrol 762mm NATO Scoped 27739.png
      11.5 KB · Views: 278
    • MVP LC Light Chassis 27775.png
      MVP LC Light Chassis 27775.png
      19.5 KB · Views: 274

osu_peanuts

Jan 29, 2015
    I am heading out to the range tomorrow and doing the first fire on the MVP Tactical Scout .223, I will post some images up for everyone. My version is the 4th image you have posted. (bottom right 2nd row)

Also doing the 100 and 200 range run on the Tactical .308 Remington

Wind might be a bit rough but see what I can do with it. I would have preferred a calm day on the first fire but see whats what tomorrow.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They also have these MVP LR & LR Tactical versions now plus the formentioned Scout, making the choice more difficult. I like the 7.62/.308s w/threaded barrel...also looking at the Savage 11 Scout and the 10 FCP-SR...

This is growing on me. I really like my MVP 5.56 but intermediate caliber bolt guns are a think for me. Low recoil, fast follow-up.

I suspect Ill end up with a .308 to sit right beside my GS.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Neco thread revival. After much research and comparison to the Rugers, I bit the bullet on Black Friday on the Mossberg Scout/Scope Combo in .308. And Walmart has been running the Rollback Special on Perfecta .308 at $10.97 :) Plus, I think I found the Mossberg 10 round mags (which are suppose to lock in the well at two points and not wobble) for less than $14 at Brownells!

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Updating Post 58. With the factory mounted scope, and using all available adjustment, I couldn't get it zeroed any better than 8" left at 25 yards. I figure I could throw rocks at least that accurate. So it went back to the factory. They claimed it was a bad barrel which they replaced at no charge and paid the shipping. All better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom