• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Had a couple cheap folders from relatives I would carry occasionally, but first EDC I remember was a Buck crosslock carried all the time, usually paired with an early Gerber Multiplier. Then too many to remember.

cb51

amoebicmagician;3443687 I bought a schrade knife maybe four years ago out of nostalgia and it was PURE CRAP I don't know what the hell happened but the knives suck butt now.[/QUOTE said:
    What happened is, they went out of business, and the name got bought by the Chinese and they are made in China now by people who don't care about quality, just profit from junk.

Same thing with Camillus. They ain't the New York based knife company more either.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    Classic 4 blade scout knife for me too. I was probably 7 or 8 and purchased it myself. (Believe it or not, in the small PA. town where I grew up in the 60s, 7,8,9 year old kids freely walked and rode their bikes throughout the area without adult supervison.) I can't imagine any store selling a pocket knife to an 8 year old today without a parent present.

Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    tenth birthday. Mom and Dad got me a Swiss army "Tinker" in red with the belt sheath.

I really wish I still had it. God only knows where it is now. But Now I either carry my Buck110 or my Gerber multi-tool. or both!

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My first knife was a fixed blade made in China, faux stag handle hunting knife. I think I was about 6. It was a Christmas present and both my older brother and I got the same knives. I still have mine hanging on my work bench. It's cheap and won't hold an edge, but I will keep it forever.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    when I was about 4 or 5 my uncle gave me a tiny folding knife that looked like a little shoe. my grandma found it in my pocket and took it away from me. I got another and the same thing happened over and over until I was about 8 when she gave up and quit taking them. when she passed about 45 years later I got them back out of her safe when we went thru her papers to arrange her funeral. I have them in my safe now.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Mine also was one of The Cub Scout 4 blades,don't remember what happened to it or the Boy Scout knife that replaced it

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Like most I had a Scout knife, a 2 bladed "whittler", and carried it everyplace. Got it at about age 10 - 11, and back then actually carried it in school everyday with no problems! (This was in the mid 60's.)

These days I carry a Swiss Army Knife.

cb51

Like most I had a Scout knife, a 2 bladed "whittler", and carried it everyplace. Got it at about age 10 - 11, and back then actually carried it in school everyday with no problems! (This was in the mid 60's.)

These days I carry a Swiss Army Knife.

Ahhh, the Swiss Army knife. My love/hate relationship.

I got my very first SAK in 1969, and it was cool. It opened cans bottles, screwed screws, punched leather, anymore. Then I went into the army and left it home as I thought it would just get confiscated at boot camp. After boot camp I was with the engineers, and the supply room handed out Camillus TL-29's like lollypops. The stainless demo knife was not hard to get either. I carried a carbon steel Camillus for years, alternating with a SAK, but the edge holding of the Camillus carbon steel blades was so much better.

After the army, I switched back to SAK's for a while because of all the stuff on them, but then I;d get annoyed at how it didn't hold an edge as well as other knives, and switch back. Been like that ever since. I love/hate the Swiss Army knife, but theres no denying it's a handy thing to have around, and Victorinox QA is head and shoulders above everyone else.

I love my carbon steel Northwoods stockman, but as good as the edge holding is, it can't deal with near what a Swiss Army knife can. Loose radiator hose clamp, no problem. Get that stock off the rifle to clean it, no problem. The pull tab brake off the can so you need a real can opener? The Swiss Army knife can do. Dog gets a thorn up between the pads of her paw, the SAK tweezers gets it out.

There's no doubt about it, a SAK is a great thing to have in a pocket!

14504302427_3253769170_c.jpg

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    5 years old an won the single bladed penknife at the Maryland State Fair. One of the 10¢ games with the arm the pushes the prize off the wheel. Cut the hell out of the thumb that night. Carried that knife for sixteen years till it was lost in a boating accident :)

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    1972, so I was 8. On vacation in Florida and talked my Dad into getting me a souvenir knife from Busch Gardens. Pretty small folder with a fake antler texture handle and a pewter parrot on the side. There are apparently no images of a similar knife on the entire internet.

Edit: I lied. Didn't just find a pic, but one on eBay! Very similar if not identical. https://www.etsy.com/listing/174604794/busch-gardens-souvenier-knife-key-ring

Edit 2: what the eff is etsy??? Never heard of it....

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    The first knife I got was a barlow knife that was my grandfather's, I was about 10. When his 2nd wife died, his children (mom & 2 uncles) got the house and I got the Barlow and one other, it was a small Schrade maybe. I carried it everywhere, including school and the teachers knew I had it and often asked me to come up front and cut or open something. A year or so latter I got a Swiss Army knife and carried it every day and funny thing is no mass stabings ever occured. I would still suspended from school if I did that today.

rstickle

Jul 12, 2008
    Laurel, MD
    Then I went into the army and left it home as I thought it would just get confiscated at boot camp. After boot camp I was with the engineers, and the supply room handed out Camillus TL-29's like lollypops. The stainless demo knife was not hard to get either. I carried a carbon steel Camillus for years, alternating with a SAK, but the edge holding of the Camillus carbon steel blades was so much better.

Spent 19 years in Army EOD and never did figure out what a "demo knife" really was. Most of us carried a TL-29, a pair of lineman's pliers, and crimpers in a leather lineman's pouch. Later added a Navy MKII to the kit for heavy range use (Taped the pouch to the knife sheath).

Never had a real problem keeping a god edge on the SAK, but for some reason it always seemed the smaller blade held the better edge. But the deciding factor has always been the extra "tools" being handy when needed. (Always went for the model with the Phillips over the corkscrew, ran into more screws than corks.)

durkspunk2112

Aug 23, 2014
    Frederick County, Md.
    My first "real" knife was a Western brand, leather wrap handle, fixed blade. I was 18 and purchased it for hunting. It still sits on top of my dresser today.

I've also started the tradition of giving by sons the knife that I gut their first deer with. After showing them how to do it, I hand them the knife and tell them it's their knife now. It's always a Schrade Old Timers w/ gut hook. Cheap knife but they don't care.

cb51

Spent 19 years in Army EOD and never did figure out what a "demo knife" really was. Most of us carried a TL-29, a pair of lineman's pliers, and crimpers in a leather lineman's pouch. Later added a Navy MKII to the kit for heavy range use (Taped the pouch to the knife sheath).

Never had a real problem keeping a god edge on the SAK, but for some reason it always seemed the smaller blade held the better edge. But the deciding factor has always been the extra "tools" being handy when needed. (Always went for the model with the Phillips over the corkscrew, ran into more screws than corks.)

I never had a problem putting a good edge on a SAK, but I just wanted something a bit longer lasting in my more persnickety younger days. But it's hard to deny how darn handy the SAK's are, and they do keep an edge for a decent amount of time, and they are very easy to re-sharpen. I think I've swore off SAK's at least 4 or 5 times, but always go back.

Considering how handy they are, and Lowes has some recruits for 14.95, it's hard to say no to a SAK. I think the smaller pen blade seems to hold an edge longer is that they are sooo thin, it just cuts better,even when getting a little dull. LIke the blade of a Stanley Utility knife. On a blade, thin is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom