• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I have decided that I want to buy/build another gun. Primary use of said gun would be target shooting and maybe hunting. The AR10 would be built from a stripped lower from the ground up. The Rem 700 would be bought cleaned find the right glass and call it a day. I'm so torn help me decide haha.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It depends on the kind of hunting you plan on doing. If you are looking to do a lot of walking while hunting, do you really want to lug around a heavy rifle? Light, skinny barreled rifles are fine for a few rounds but groups open up after four or five shots.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    In my opinion, the Rem 700 x 308 with a min 20" barrel will give you a very accurate rifle shot after shot out to 300 yards, ammo is cheap & readily available...

Buy a really good 6 x 20 scope, mount it, sight it in = done...

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Can't talk to the "hunting" aspects, but from a target perspective, the .308 is accurate and effective WAY past 300yds. I have had mine past 1000yds.

AR10's are nice, but they are heavy pigs. Go with the bolt and be happy.

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    Just buy a NEMO and call it a day :D Gun is 6 grand ammo over 50 a box but hey no more worries with 20 rounds of 300 win mag going down range in a few seconds:lol2:

Attachments

• nemo.jpg
      nemo.jpg
      16.4 KB · Views: 538

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Id go with a Remington 700 or a savage 20" barrel and call it a day. More than likely both will be 3/4 MOA rifles with factory match ammo. I have an AR10 and it's heavy as chit, my 20" bolt gun gets much more use

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I agree with the previous posters, if you are carrying it a long way go with a bolt gun but don't limit yourself to the 700. Savage is making great and accurate rifles these days for a very good price and they have pretty much the same aftermarket gadgets available. Hog Hunter in .308 is next on my list.

I'd love me some AR10 goodness but going cyclic with .308 might involve raiding the 401k.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    The S&W MP10 is about 8 lbs. There seem to be many buyers of that rifle without buyer's remorse.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    It might not be an issue for you but some states don't allow hunting with a semi-auto. It's why I bought a bolt action slug shotgun.

thai

May 8, 2013
    This is a valid question, since your intended use is fairly flexible. You want something versatile that can perform multiple duties. I would suggest the AR10. It is fairly accurate and with 20 rd magazines, add the benefits of a 16" barrel and adjustable stock and a drop in trigger group, I would give the nod in the AR direction.

For hunting around here, anytime I can take a rifle, I would rather take my ar10 rather than my Weatherby 30-06.

I always wanted to do a river rafting moose trip. I would love to take an AR 10 loaded with 20rds of Winchester failsafes for bear medicine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom