• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    The Land of the Rising Sun
    It has been some time since I have last been on, but I have a question about NFA. I currently have an NFA trust and own a SBR, SBS, and a couple suppressors. I own several AR's now and my SBR was purchased from the factory a few years ago. I want to register one of my lowers (built by me and does have a stock) to make it an SBR.

Where do I go from here? Do I take it to a NFA dealer? Do I complete the paperwork myself? Do I take the stock off? I have a few other stripped lowers not yet built. I also do not have any upper as of yet.

Thanks for any help. I know there are probably a thousand threads, but I do not have the time to go sifting through them all. Appreciate it.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    Leaving the stock on your lower is a bit more difficult to consider. Since you already have a registered sbr, the short upper would be accounted for, but it still leaves the possibility of being placed on an unregistered lower that has no upper. If you had a spare 16"+ upper you could put that on and not worry, or turn it into a pistol and get rid of the stock completely. It's the fact that it is a completed lower with a stock that you need to account for it. Stripped lower, not so much.

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    No worries there. The SBR I have is a factory SIG 556 SBR. No way in hell that will work on a traditional AR lower. But . . . I do have an AR pistol. Just to be safe, I moved the upper to a family members house that does not have any firearms.

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    I know right. Just did some research, which I should have done before typing, and I think I have it figured out. Sorry, three small kids and working well over 100 hours this past two weeks has somewhat diminished my intellect. That, or all the lead I have ingested over the years. Thanks.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I know right. Just did some research, which I should have done before typing, and I think I have it figured out. Sorry, three small kids and working well over 100 hours this past two weeks has somewhat diminished my intellect. That, or all the lead I have ingested over the years. Thanks.
    I recommend shooting not eating the lead bullets or maybe switching to a CA friendly lead free diet? Sucks about the 100 hours of work, hopefully you're of this weekend.

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    True, so true. Now that you mention it, it has been a bit painful to visit the restroom. Maybe a change in diet would work! Yeah man, off the weekend, but running around with the family and stuff. Had to run qualifications and a rifle school last week. Today is day 11 of 12 straight. Appreciate the sympathy.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Leaving the stock on your lower is a bit more difficult to consider. Since you already have a registered sbr, the short upper would be accounted for, but it still leaves the possibility of being placed on an unregistered lower that has no upper. If you had a spare 16"+ upper you could put that on and not worry, or turn it into a pistol and get rid of the stock completely. It's the fact that it is a completed lower with a stock that you need to account for it. Stripped lower, not so much.

Huh? I thought he didn't have a upper for the proposed SBR. If so your fine....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Are you sure that quote was Truman and not Clinton?

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    e-file form 1's are only taking about 5 weeks to come back. I just got mine back for a SBR. Keep in mind that if it is not a rim-fire gun than it will have to have an overall length of 29" or greater. this puts you at about or just over a 10" barrel on an AR.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    e-file form 1's are only taking about 5 weeks to come back. I just got mine back for a SBR. Keep in mind that if it is not a rim-fire gun than it will have to have an overall length of 29" or greater. this puts you at about or just over a 10" barrel on an AR.

Depends on the stock. Some stocks won't get a 10" barreled gun to 29", FYI.

pedals730

Jul 12, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to take a guess here and say that the 29 inch thing is because of the MD law? I figured after 1 Oct last year, SBR's were no longer a go until I finally made it back on MDshooters and read other wise.

I am going to run a 11.5 inch upper and the lower has a magpul CTR stock.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to take a guess here and say that the 29 inch thing is because of the MD law? I figured after 1 Oct last year, SBR's were no longer a go until I finally made it back on MDshooters and read other wise.

I am going to run a 11.5 inch upper and the lower has a magpul CTR stock.

Yes make sure your overall length ends up being >29". ATF will kick back anything <=29 I believe. Mine have all been at least 29.5".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom