Favorite Slugs for Rifled Barrel Shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    What do you all prefer to use for deer hunting?

I recently picked up a Mossberg 500 kit that came with both a smooth and rifled/scoped barrel. I've been practicing with some different slugs to see what works best, but damn those things are expensive so my experimentation hasn't been all that extensive. Also, the only range I have access to on a regular basis is the NRA range in Fairfax, which is 50 yards long.

Previously my only shotgun was an Ithaca Model 37 smooth bore (manufactured in 1958 and still awesome), so I had been using rifled slugs for deer hunting.

So far I have tried:

Hornady SST 300 gr FT Sabot Slug--these seem to work better than anything else I've tried. I put three shots in a row on bullseyes last night using these

Winchester Supreme Elite Sabot Slug --I only bought two boxes and so far have only shot three rounds. They seemed to fly with less consistency than the Hornady. I also had a light strike on one of them.

Remmington Acutip Sabot Slugs --I have no idea. A box of 5 was $19.99 so I passed since I was just going to site in my new gun. Anyone know if it's worth buying these?

Remmington Copper Solid Rifled Slugs --These work well in my old gun but since they're significantly more expensive than federal brand, I have just been buying Federal for practice and for hunting with the Ithaca.

Federal Vital Shock Rifled Slugs --I have a big supply of these because they work very well with my older gun and I found them on sale one time. My brother hit a deer with one of them last year and it dropped where it stood. I tested them out in the rifled barrel out of curiosity. Mossberg doesn't recommend using rifled slugs because they're not as accurate from a rifled barrel. Surprise! Mossberg is absolutely correct. They're fine up to about 25 yards, but past that they fly very erratically and about half the time they yaw and end up hitting the paper at an odd angle. I don't plan to use rifled slugs in the Mossberg anymore--I was just curious and the range only had rifled slugs for sale that day.

So that's all I've tried so far. What do you like to use in your Mossberg 500 rifled barrel, or whatever shotgun you use to hunt deer? I figure one Mossberg probably "likes" the same type of ammo as any other, but I'm certainly interested in hearing about others experiences with others.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    It took a while to find the right slugs for my 870, but found these to be very accurate with the 18.5" barrel: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-1-4-oz-sabot-slugs?a=709629

The are incredibly effective at putting down large boars too.

I tried several of the ones you listed and was surprised at how inconsistent the groupings were with some brands. A friend also has an 870 and he swears by Remington. Seems like each barrel, even same models, can be picky to a particular slug.

Good luck.

Last edited:

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The only thing I use is Remington Copper Solid in my H&R 20.

And those lead slugs are not rifled and they will impart no spin on the slug.

The slugs are nose heavy and are dragged through the air and kept stable with the up-front mass and weight.

Buy what works best in your gun and forget about the cost. When hunting, performance always trumps saving a few bucks.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    honestly I just buy whatever the cheapest sabots are. All of them seem to shoot well. If it was a scoped gun there might be more of a difference.

DanJo

Mar 4, 2010
    Western Howard County
    I love Lightfields as well. They are very accurate out of my 870. They mushroom nicely and put a lot of energy into the deer, not out the other side. Lightfields put deer down fast. They are a bit more expensive, but they're worth it.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Lightfield guys have me thinking now. That slug is 546 grain compared to the 300 grain SST (12 gauge 2 3/4). What kind of drop do you get past 100yrds?

Anyone shoot SSTs and then switch to lightfields?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I love Lightfields as well. They are very accurate out of my 870. They mushroom nicely and put a lot of energy into the deer, not out the other side. Lightfields put deer down fast. They are a bit more expensive, but they're worth it.

:thumbsup:

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I've tried most of the listed brands with my 500. My gun liked the SST's from the 24", ported, isb barrel. It's signed in for 100 but could do some decent groups at 200.

My 512 hated the sst's and can only do 6" groups at 50. I'm still trying to find a load that gun likes at a distance.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    We zero'd in my dad's scope for his H&R 20gauge w/ rifled barrel with Remington Sluggers, then used Lightfields. At 50 yards, the Sluggers were still just fine for deer hunting. He used the sluggers for general practicing and getting familiar with the gun. Cleaning almost between each shot for best accuracy out of the sluggers. It paid off and he made a clean kill on the first shot @ 60 yards with it out of state on a Apprentice hunting day in Sept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom