• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Hey Guys,

I'll be posting this on a few of the regional forums.

Every once and a while my buddy and I will do a day trip on the weekend to check out some of the smaller towns that have a few gun shops to see what they have to offer.

Anyone recommend some good gun shops that have a nice collection of older military firearms?

Always looking for a new town to check out. It's fun to get away for the afternoon, nice drive, check out some gun shops and grab a beer and lunch at a local bar.

Any recommendations I'll throw on my "to-visit-list!"

Thanks!

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    In Moorefield there is a shop, can't remember the name, for sure, but it might be Doug's Sporting Goods. It is at the end of the shopping center right off of the end of the exit from Rt. 48. There is a McDonalds and Tractor Supply at the opposite end for reference. On Rt. 33 heading into Elkins, there is Wheelers, it's a nice store, about an hour and fifteen minutes from Moorefield. And over that way is another shop on the 4 lane between Elkins and Beverly, Elza's, near the 84 Lumber. It is about 10 minutes from Wheelers. I think Elza's also handles, four wheelers and such. They could all be hit in a day, but getting there and back might be a weekend road trip. If you've never been there, Elkins is a nice place.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Sounds great I'll add them to my list. Very intriguing prospects. I love checking out smaller gun shops for the old military stff

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For that matter at least 50% of the side of the road independent gas/ general stores will have a gun counter.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    In Moorefield there is a shop, can't remember the name, for sure, but it might be Doug's Sporting Goods. It is at the end of the shopping center right off of the end of the exit from Rt. 48. There is a McDonalds and Tractor Supply at the opposite end for reference. On Rt. 33 heading into Elkins, there is Wheelers, it's a nice store, about an hour and fifteen minutes from Moorefield. And over that way is another shop on the 4 lane between Elkins and Beverly, Elza's, near the 84 Lumber. It is about 10 minutes from Wheelers. I think Elza's also handles, four wheelers and such. They could all be hit in a day, but getting there and back might be a weekend road trip. If you've never been there, Elkins is a nice place.

Indeed that shop in Moorefield is Doug's .

Sound like a good Oct color trip for some :):)

Moorefield / Petersburg areas are very pretty...especially about mid-Oct. Elkins is nice and not too far from Durbin where you can take the Durbin Rocket train ofr the CAss Scenic railroad for a few hours trip up old mountain logging areas. Also, a bit to the north of Elkins is the Blackwater Falls area.

Hey Uncle Duke...how is that South Branch store? I've driven past it many times. I did stop once a number of years ago and it was OK...but not many good used guns or C&Rs which is what I most often look for the last few years. Then again, one time isn't a good representative sample.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province

Moorefield / Petersburg areas are very pretty...especially about mid-Oct. Elkins is nice and not too far from Durbin where you can take the Durbin Rocket train ofr the CAss Scenic railroad for a few hours trip up old mountain logging areas. Also, a bit to the north of Elkins is the Blackwater Falls area.

Hey Uncle Duke...how is that South Branch store? I've driven past it many times. I did stop once a number of years ago and it was OK...but not many good used guns or C&Rs which is what I most often look for the last few years. Then again, one time isn't a good representative sample.

Elkins has the Forest Festival first full weekend of October every year. If you like mountain heritage and culture, it's pretty good. They have rustic re-enactors in City Park, there is the Lumberjack Competition, Gun/Outdoor show at the Armory, music, etc.

http://www.forestfestival.com/

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC

My daughter lives in Elkins and we go to Wheeler's every time we are in town.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

Not to derail, Cass RR is a nice day trip, one also must hit the store there. MMMilshakes! I've been to Blackwater a few times, I seem to remember going to a dirtbike race that ran through the area, probably more than 20 years ago, big weekend party.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Second Amendment Sport and Defense is a good stop in Morgantown.

Just don't count on buying anything semi-auto. I've talked to him about out of state sales to MDers and he hasn't a clue about the law and has no interest in pushing the limits of what is legal. He stated the only thing he would sell are pump shotguns and bolt rifles.

Great spot for grabbing mags, ammo, and anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MontaniSemperLiberi

MD Survivor
    Nov 12, 2011
    West By'God Virginia
    Second Amendment Sport and Defense is a good stop in Morgantown.

Just don't count on buying anything semi-auto. I've talked to him about out of state sales to MDers and he hasn't a clue about the law and has no interest in pushing the limits of what is legal. He stated the only thing he would sell are pump shotguns and bolt rifles.

Great spot for grabbing mags, ammo, and anything else.

Good folks as well...

Can you blame them, though? Their livelihood is dependent on that shop, so why risk not correctly navigating MD law for a small portion of their sales?

As a note, they were one of the first shops to announce they would not process NICS bypasses for WV CHL holders, since it exists only as ATF policy and not law -- too many good shops have been turned into examples by the ATF in WV.

Hollywood Ball

Mountaineer
    Aug 26, 2013
    NC WV
    Good folks as well...

Can you blame them, though? Their livelihood is dependent on that shop, so why risk not correctly navigating MD law for a small portion of their sales?

As a note, they were one of the first shops to announce they would not process NICS bypasses for WV CHL holders, since it exists only as ATF policy and not law -- too many good shops have been turned into examples by the ATF in WV.

Great people.

I don't blame him at all and wasn't complaining about it. It was simply a heads up to those here who might make a trip there in the future.

I had a conversation with him about it just to see where they stood. He even said his ATF contact (based out of Pittsburgh) didn't know what to make of the MD laws in regards to interstate sales, so that's why he's taking the safe route.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I stopped in Elza's last week while in Beverly. I mentioned it in my original response to the OP. It was my first time in the store. Overall, I was not impressed. It is mostly a motocross shop with some hunting and trapping items, and a firearms section. I was not too impressed with the service I received there, and will likely not stop there again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom