MSP has approved the HK MR556, Ruger, and LWRCI M6A2 , why not all pistons?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thai

May 8, 2013
    How difficult would it be get MSP to also approve the KAC SR15 and the PWS MK114 and 116?

I would assume that for every reason they approved the HK and Ruger, shouldn't all pistons qualify also? I would like to purchase a SR15 and an MK 116 but I don't already have one take pictures of side by side to depict to MSP with a request for approval.

Nate, at Engage Armament would prefer we leave requests to MSP for professionals for fear of people blundering through the process and having a negative effect of possible getting more firearms banned. Due to pointing out similarities that are not correct or something or other by mistake.

I would like to try to get more if not all pistons approved.

navyis2

im a grown ass man
    Oct 10, 2013
    Lexington, KY
    They are taking a by model stance, and calculating the compatibility of Bolt, Bolt Carrier, gas system, recoil system, and barrels with banned firearms. Unfortunately due to this, and the other firearms being unique to the company and not listed as copies of the MR556 or vice versa you can not achieve a blanket ruling.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    How difficult would it be get MSP to also approve the KAC SR15 and the PWS MK114 and 116?

I would assume that for every reason they approved the HK and Ruger, shouldn't all pistons qualify also? I would like to purchase a SR15 and an MK 116 but I don't already have one take pictures of side by side to depict to MSP with a request for approval.

Nate, at Engage Armament would prefer we leave requests to MSP for professionals for fear of people blundering through the process and having a negative effect of possible getting more firearms banned. Due to pointing out similarities that are not correct or something or other by mistake.

I don't even know what to say to this.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    ooooooh, I have been wanting a ruger the standard SR-556 (non carbine, non e-model, non varminter) for a while, but I think I'd still rather go for the SR762

I had the good fortune to shoot a few of them, and JESUS CRIMINEY they are incredible rifles. Best of all for a .308 auto loader, they will run with nearly all bullet weights on the initial gas setting, and all others on the "fouled" setting, and you even have a setting after that if you somehow have some trouble or want to fire underpowered reloads.

Ruger makes GREAT AR pattern rifles. I just wish they'd offer a melonited barrel and carrier group to save money and pass that savings on to us. I love the chrome plated EVERYTHING in the guns, but melonite is really quite something, and can be done for about half the cost of chrome plating- doing the carrier the same way could save boku dollars for them, and give me a rifle I would love to pass on to my kids one day

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Can someone clarify what Ruger is being referenced here as being reviewed?

I just looked at the Firearms list and see the HK ruling but the only listing for Ruger is the Mini-14 folder.

Feb 28, 2013
    Can someone clarify what Ruger is being referenced here as being reviewed?

I just looked at the Firearms list and see the HK ruling but the only listing for Ruger is the Mini-14 folder.

The SR-556, gas piston model.
    5902.jpg

am i wrong or are these not all HBARs?

Barrel profile isn't the issue here. It's actually parts interchangeability. Not everything from a piston AR will fit on a DI model.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The Sig 516 Patrol (piston AR) is not listed but is being sold here in MD as well.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    For the price of the HK MR556; one can simply buy 2 USA made Ruger 762 models.

Does the person with the most toys in the sandbox win? :)

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    The Sig 516 Patrol (piston AR) is not listed but is being sold here in MD as well.

Out of State sales must be popular for Sig dealers / FFLs here in MD since we can't buy them anymore :(

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Yep. Clarification by an FFL was requested for the MR556 and M6 so MSP made it definitive by listing them "not banned". I suppose any firearm on which an MSP decision is requested ends up being listed. Makes sense, the decision is then there for all other FFLs to see.

Normally though, it’s left up to an FFL’s discretion to interpret what’s cash and carry.

Xander

Dec 6, 2010
    I don't even know what to say to this.

I do......
    Nate has done more for the 2a in MD than 99.9999% of gun owners, and he hasn't made himself rich doing it. Maybe you should mention how grateful you are to him?

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    Slingblade answered my question now I have another one.

I have a Ruger SR-556 purchased pre 10/1 and properly papered as a md Registered Firearm.

So where does that now leave me with the current status of this rifle?

I did register it pre-10/1 so I am going under the fact that this is still considered a registered weapon as that is how it was received and purchased. I ask because the lower is completely AR-15. Which means I can put any upper I want on it and I have plans to purchase other uppers including maybe another DI upper for it.

This boils down to. if I take my Pre-10/1 SR-556 which was considered and papered as a restricted weapon and I put a DI upper on it how does the new ruling of it now be non-registered status affect the legality of my SR-556 with a DI 5.56 upper?

Just more crap to the pile that is MD gun laws heh.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I do......
    Nate has done more for the 2a in MD than 99.9999% of gun owners, and he hasn't made himself rich doing it. Maybe you should mention how grateful you are to him?

+1

Let someone who is familiar with the system, work the system. It only takes one numb nuts to screw it up for EVERYONE. People need to have patience and let the experts do their job.

Q

Feb 28, 2013
    Slingblade answered my question now I have another one.

I have a Ruger SR-556 purchased pre 10/1 and properly papered as a md Registered Firearm.

So where does that now leave me with the current status of this rifle?

I did register it pre-10/1 so I am going under the fact that this is still considered a registered weapon as that is how it was received and purchased. I ask because the lower is completely AR-15. Which means I can put any upper I want on it and I have plans to purchase other uppers including maybe another DI upper for it.

This boils down to. if I take my Pre-10/1 SR-556 which was considered and papered as a restricted weapon and I put a DI upper on it how does the new ruling of it now be non-registered status affect the legality of my SR-556 with a DI 5.56 upper?

Just more crap to the pile that is MD gun laws heh.

If you bought it before 10-1-13 as regulated, then you have nothing to worry about because it's now grandfathered, and you can do pretty much what you want to it.

Although it really shouldn't have been sold as regulated to begin with because as a piston AR is can't be said that it's a copy. If they're sold as cash-and-carry now, I would think that should negate the "regulated" portion of your purchase. It would be hard to justify some folks having bought a rifle on both a 77R and a 4473, and then others only need the 4473 now.

MichaelTech

Feb 21, 2013
    If you bought it before 10-1-13 as regulated, then you have nothing to worry about because it's now grandfathered, and you can do pretty much what you want to it.

Although it really shouldn't have been sold as regulated to begin with because as a piston AR is can't be said that it's a copy. If they're sold as cash-and-carry now, I would think that should negate the "regulated" portion of your purchase. It would be hard to justify some folks having bought a rifle on both a 77R and a 4473, and then others only need the 4473 now.

I figured that I can do anthing I want to this rifle being a pre-10/1 and registered. But jeebus is this not just a load.

The confusion on something like my SR-556.

I also just thought of this too.

Given the Non -regulated that means that this rifle can be your truck rifle. It now has no restrictions on transport.

So I have a SR-556 that I can do what i want with it because pre 10/1. Because of this I am considering it NOT Negated as Regulated.

So that means I go out and buy a SR-556 today. I now have 2 totally differnt SR-556 in the eyes of the law.

Pre-10/1 SR-556 77r and 4473 I can put different uppers including a DI 5.56 on it. Even if I have it in its orriginal configuration with the piston upper this rifle would fall under the transportation restrictions of a registered firearm.

New Purchased SR-556 4473 only. I can definitely NOT put a different DI 5.56 upper on it. I might be able to put another brand Piston on it, my guess is that the big thing that is going to have the most affect is Bolt Carrier groups swappability as to whether I have turned it into an AR-15 clone. I can also leave this rifle in my car and am not restricted by the transportation rules governing restricted weapons.

Guys I know I am being pedantic and harping but I am just trying to keep my head from exploding as I try to wrap myself around these MD gun laws and the stupidity of it all.

I mean I don't know about you but I don't want to be a test case in all of this and that is why I am talking about it. I know chances are none of these issues will come up.

But also know that earlier this year heading to the range I was almost in between in a road rage incident while heading to the range which also opened my eyes to never say never.

Typical Cecil County back road and I come up on a car and a truck. They were going slow and all of a sudden they stop. Nothing happens for 30 seconds, the guy in front gets out and the car behind him pulls around the truck and the guy throws two punches at the car as it goes buy screaming and hollering at it. I was in good situational awareness and myself had stopped about 100 feet or better behind them. I was never in danger nor felt that I would of been and definitely never thought how do I reach my my guns but it did make me aware that if things had escalated and I was closer I could of been in an accident with one of them as they escaped and or a witness and it would of put me in contact with law enforcement. So I can never say that a million to one shot of an interaction with Law Enforcement while having any of my guns is really a million to one shot. I am not in control of everything. Other peoples actions can influence my path. There is always that variable. Not to mention Cecil County has a huge heroin problem largest in the State.

So many traffic stops with heroin and guns in cars. Law enforcement are hyper vigilant here. Oh well thanks for listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom