• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    When my name was added to a waiting list at Cabela's I certainly didn't hold my breath. A few weeks later when the call came that they had one at the Triadelphia WV store i was surprised as H. Of course I just had to stop by today and bring the rifle home...:innocent0

This little carbine should be a hoot to shoot! Don't know if I can hold out all the way till next Sunday when us Hooligans plan to get together. That's way too much like a waiting period!

Another big shout out to fidelity for his thread. His review made my decision pretty easy. :thumbsup:: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=174016

:party29:

Attachments

• DSC04193.jpg
      DSC04193.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 373
    • DSC04197.jpg
      DSC04197.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 371

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Awesome! You were so fast in getting a scope on it as well. :thumbsup:

I just ordered a bolus of 300 BLK ammo from different suppliers and have been awaiting shipment notices. My favorite loading from Underwood (110 gr Hornady V-Max bullets) is currently out, so experimenting with some new commercial suppliers.

The lightweight rifle and 300 BLK seem to be a great combination, reasonable power and ease to take into the field. It will probably hold me from getting a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 for now.

Looking forward to your range report!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Awesome! You were so fast in getting a scope on it as well. :thumbsup:

I just ordered a bolus of 300 BLK ammo from different suppliers and have been awaiting shipment notices. My favorite loading from Underwood (110 gr Hornady V-Max bullets) is currently out, so experimenting with some new commercial suppliers.

The lightweight rifle and 300 BLK seem to be a great combination, reasonable power and ease to take into the field. It will probably hold me from getting a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 for now.

Looking forward to your range report!

Yep, I figured it would be hard to hit anything without some sort of optics on top. For the time being I picked up a $99 Cabela's 3-9x40 and a cheap set of Leupold rings for $20 just to get the rifle shoot-able. They mounted the scope while I waited. I'll check it with a laser and try to get zero close before range day.

Also picked up the Caldwell bi-pod on sale for $39 that will work fine. They had no muzzle devices in stock that would fit, so that's for next time...

Since I make my own 300 BLK ammo out of .223 cases I have a variety of bullets to try. This should be a LOT of fun.

The folks at the Cabela's store in Triadelphia are VERY helpful. One person may not know the answer to a question, but they'll find someone who does. From "going on the waiting list" to "buying the rifle today" i spoke with six or seven different people. Each and every one of them were just super to work with. Great staff there! :thumbsup:

Range report (with pics - of course) is on the horizon! :party29:

:D

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Love mine, especially with the 762sdn6 on it. It's a fun gun to shoot. I love most of what Ruger has offered.

60a3f1f9ab4cf6a20b1eee32ad8d6415.jpg

Last edited:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I like it too. Wish it was in a few more calibers. 762×39 and maybe a varmint chamber other than .223. I guess they cover that with the predator line tho.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Range Report

First, what a FUN rifle! It is almost boringly accurate out of the box! :thumbsup:

The Ruger made its range debut at today's Hooligan shoot: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=179322

I had several different loads to try - all supers - all loaded with IMR4227:
    - My usual 150 gr flat base FMJ's with 17 gr of powder. (I also use those bullets in my Garand ammo).
    - Some 165 gr Sierra Spitzer BT's loaded with 16.2 gr.
    - Some 110 gr jacketed RN SP's I use in my 30 carbine loads powered with 17.6 gr.
    - My 300 BLK CB load with GC'd 150 gr on top of 16.5 gr.

After tweaking elevation and windage to get close at 50 yards we turned our attention to the small steel plate StanW brought and set out at 100 yards. Quite frankly, it was almost hard to miss the gong! When we did miss it was shooter error, not the Ruger!

Its favorite food seemed to be the 150 gr FMJ's although the CB's were pretty close to the same performance. The rifle seemed to like everything but the 110 gr loads. They shot higher, but of course that was expected. I'll load some more 110's and try again.

I'm thrilled with the way the little rifle shoots. Definitely a keeper! :thumbsup: 4227 is a great propellant in 300 BLK. I plan to pick up some H110 and experiment with a different powder next.

The only downside is the 5 round mag. I definitely need extras so we spend more time shooting and less time loading!

Hooli gives the Ruger 9 out of 10 :thumbsup:'s

:D

Attachments

• DSC04209.jpg
      DSC04209.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 201
    • DSC04210.jpg
      DSC04210.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 199
    • DSC04234.jpg
      DSC04234.jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 205
    • DSC04222.jpg
      DSC04222.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 202
    • DSC04212.jpg
      DSC04212.jpg
      41.3 KB · Views: 205

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Great report! It's good that you had a number of Hooligans try the Ruger American and obtained similar results. Might be interesting to test a couple of Ruger Americans in 300 BLK in the future (yes, volunteering mine for when I get out there ;) ), to see if there's consistency.

I got spare mags from Grabagun (obviously Ruger is selling the same mags in their 5.56 platform so they're sometimes labeled 223/5.56) ...

http://grabagun.com/ruger-90440-amer-extra-mag.html

Vizards also has a good price and may have free shipping according to Slickguns ...

http://vizardsgunsandammo.com/ruger...-5-56-nato-300-blackout-7-62x35mm-5-rd-blk-1/

Here is the complete Slickguns cost comparison of these mags and their availability ...

http://www.slickguns.com/search/apachesolr_search/736676904402

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Ruger needs to make factory 15 or 20 round mags for their 300.

Designing the gun to take factory AR15 mags should have been a no-brainer.

A bolt gun that takes AK47 mags would be nice also. Even easier to design and make.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    Thanks for the review and photos. As I'm suppressor-equipped, I'm interested to see how subsonics do at 50 and 100. I might even be willing to send you a handful of 208's if you'd be inclined. 4198 seems to work pretty well around 10 grains give or take (barrel length can be a factor of course).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Damnit! You are killing me over here!!!!

When are you getting the MVP? :D

I checked Slickguns. No-one has it currently. Should be about $550. I would need to sell the Ruger American first - but I hate, hate selling my guns.

For the price/performance, the Ruger is really a sweet buy, despite the pending MVP competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom