• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I am building out a Suppressed 9mm SBR and thought I would post the build here. Will post pics as things come along.

So far the build consists of the following:

Gemtech Multimount Suppressor
    Gemtech Talon 9mm Upper w/7.5" barrel
    Spikes Tactical Zombie lower
    DPMS Standard LPK
    Spikes Tactical Magwell block
    EOTech holosight (not sure what model)

Will have a Ramped bolt but not sure from who

What do you think?

Dave

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I dont know much about 9mm AR's but the list sounds good so far. From what Ive read CMMG has a very nice ramped 9mm BCG.

Why the Spike's magwell over Hahn or other options? Im not stabbing at your choice Im just trying to learn more about the pros and cons between the different magwells.

Im excited to see how your build comes along.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I dont know much about 9mm AR's but the list sounds good so far. From what Ive read CMMG has a very nice ramped 9mm BCG.

Why the Spike's magwell over Hahn or other options? Im not stabbing at your choice Im just trying to learn more about the pros and cons between the different magwells.

Im excited to see how your build comes along.

It just seemed to be able to handle a lot more variations of 9mm Mags then most of the others. About 4-5 different brands in all with only the UZi mags needing any type of modification to actually work.

They dont make it I dont think, they rebrand it I thiink. Not sure who makes it for them. Might even be Hahn. I saw them in an article.

Will post pics for sure as stuff comes in.

Dave

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Consider a spikes heavy (and longer) 9mm buffer. I have a barely used RRA 9mm buffer I would sell cheap if you don't get the Spikes

Last edited:

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    The talon upper is sweet. My friend has one sbr'd and supressed. Quiet and fun to shoot. Has an aimpoint mounted on it. Cloverleaf groups at 25yrds. The rifle shoots like a lazer

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Dave, IMHO I don't care for Semi SMGs. I would skip it and save for a FA firearm. For two of three of these guns, you can be into a nice FA firearm.

Aside from the WOW factor I never really had a use for FA actually. And, with the price of ammo the way it is I think SA is fine.

One day when I have a relative leave me a boat load of money or hit the lottery I might consider an FA but for me and my budget, SA will do me fine.

Dave

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If this is going to be a dedicated 9mm AR, you may have better luck with a 9mm hammer and a standard 9 bolt. I went that route after I tired of tweaking swapped uppers.

Just to talk you out of my RRA 9mm buffer:
    The heavier Spikes buffer helps keep the bolt closed longer to reduce ejection port noise. I have convinced myself that I can hear the difference.

I have also had empty brass get behind the bolt with the standard 9 buffer. PITA to clear. The longer buffer seems to address this type malfunction as well by limiting rearward bolt travel- which is a good thing.

Good luck!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Dave,

To each his own... For me its the WOW factor behind the trigger. Semi just seems a waste of ammo that could be shot a lot faster these days. You can be into a nice FA SMG in 9mm for under $4k today. The only reason I said anything is I see how much you guys spend on a semi rifle and I just can't see spending that much anymore unless its shooting more than one round at a time. 9mm is also not that expensive still... I grant that you will not be shooting it every other day but I would rather shoot less and enjoy more. But like I said, to each his own. I just like to plant the seed if you know what I mean.

Aside from the WOW factor I never really had a use for FA actually. .....Dave

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Dave,

To each his own... For me its the WOW factor behind the trigger. Semi just seems a waste of ammo that could be shot a lot faster these days. You can be into a nice FA SMG in 9mm for under $4k today. The only reason I said anything is I see how much you guys spend on a semi rifle and I just can't see spending that much anymore unless its shooting more than one round at a time. 9mm is also not that expensive still... I grant that you will not be shooting it every other day but I would rather shoot less and enjoy more. But like I said, to each his own. I just like to plant the seed if you know what I mean.

Well as I have not seen any FAs under $4K I will stick to semi auto for now.

Dave

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    That's not the buffer I am talking about. I don't see it on Spikes site now.

Found it on AIM. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...l+ST-9X+9mm+Stainless+Steel+Buffer&groupid=53

It is the ST-9X. Don't know why it isn't on Spikes site now. I did a short search looking for it and found lots of other fans of this buffer. My Franken-build had some teething problems. Changed lowers, buffers and springs, triggers and hammers, polished everything internal including the CProducts mags, fiddled with the mag block and ejector. Not sure if the ST-9X is solely responsible for my AR running right now, but I am not taking it out.

Hope your build gives you less trouble. It's still the funnest rifle I own and worth the trouble.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Unsure which carbine buffer spring it has now. I swapped between 2 Bushmaster, a RRA and a misc. carbine buffer spring I had from an old Model 1 kit.

The ST-9X does not require a special buffer spring. Don't know if a heavy Wolff would have done anything better or worse. I would like to think I'm done tinkering with the internals so far as reliability is concerned.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads