• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've been sidelined with a knee injury for the past week and as a result have spent a good deal of time reading. I came across this article and think it's one the very best I've read on the subject.

How to grip a handgun to shoot fast & accurate

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/01/05/how-to-grip-a-handgun-to-shoot-fast-accurate/

Agreed. Excellent advice.

I watched most of the videos and skimmed the article. Looks good, didn't see anything new, just solid fundamentals. Thanks for posting.

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton
    Chasbo00 the thing I take away from this article is the advice about a griping as hard as possible. I suspect it caught your eye too.

Forget the 60-80% grip pressure this way, or that way B.S. that you often hear. The correct amount of grip pressure is to grip the handgun as hard as you can, until you’re shaking, then slightly back off that, and try to maintain that pressure — consistently — until you’re done shooting.

That makes it simple.

To quote “The Great One” Rob Leatham...

“In my three decades of training every level of shooter, I have seen only a handful that held on too tightly. On the flip side, I’ve seen hundreds that hold on too loosely.”

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I need to change the position of my support hand thumb, per the videos.

I want to practice this. Now! It's 2:30 a.m. and it's snowing. Do you think the neighbors would notice if I fired a few magazines?

Thanks for sharing.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Hold it just right. There ya go.

I found this advice coupled with this diagnostic chart to be extremely helpful.
    c02595e448d36a5a43fef7f4799bb28d.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The closer the target, the more you can sacrifice a perfect grip and be "faster". The farther the target, things need to slow down and "aimed" fire becomes key.
    In between those circumstances is where the rubber meets the road and you need to engage your mind. Herein lies the important part of a good shot.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I took this advice to the range and almost all of it worked for me. The one part I had a problem with is pointing the strong hand thumb up. On my SIG P225 (I have very short fingers and can't handle most double stack handguns; on the P225 I had to install a shorter trigger and the thinnest grips I could find), if I don't keep that thumb down, it engages the slide lock when I fire and the slide locks back after each shot. Not so much of a problem on the other guns I shoot regularly (Beretta 70, Walther P4, Hi-Power) but I don't want to be changing something like that from gun to gun.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I took this advice to the range and almost all of it worked for me. The one part I had a problem with is pointing the strong hand thumb up. On my SIG P225 (I have very short fingers and can't handle most double stack handguns; on the P225 I had to install a shorter trigger and the thinnest grips I could find), if I don't keep that thumb down, it engages the slide lock when I fire and the slide locks back after each shot. Not so much of a problem on the other guns I shoot regularly (Beretta 70, Walther P4, Hi-Power) but I don't want to be changing something like that from gun to gun.

Consistency is one of the mental and physical keys to shooting success.

Correct, not everyone has the exact same size and length tendons, muscles and bones. Some people have to modify "what works best for most people" to accomodate their particular physique.

I remember one guy from my basic HVAC class 40 years ago that had the final bone of his thumbs so short the thumbnail looked like it started at the joint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom