• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxmanb

Sep 30, 2012
    You think this news is bad, wait until it takes 6 month to get our "HQL". :mad54:

Yup. I hope someone files a lawsuit and seeks an injunction over SP281. They could effectively put some dealers out of business... which is probably part of their plan.

HiballHiside

Apr 10, 2013
    I was curious about that as well, but since I deal with FFL's which release on time I am no longer worried about it. I sent an email to MSP regarding necessity of the HQL for applications dating pre-October 1st. This is obviously not a definitive answer so take it with a grain of salt.

If I start the transfer process on a handgun (The paperwork is filed on August 01 of 2013 for example) and I am not able to take possession until November due to the backlog, will I be required to have a new handgun 'license' before taking the item home, or am I good to go without?

It's my understanding that you will be good.

Please bear in mind that we shouldn't forget the people who will be suffering because of this legislation, all of us should remain worried. Just because we were fortunate enough to have an FFL releasing on time or have previously purchased doesn't mean we can rest easy.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Please bear in mind that we shouldn't forget the people who will be suffering because of this legislation, all of us should remain worried. Just because we were fortunate enough to have an FFL releasing on time or have previously purchased doesn't mean we can rest easy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We still need to think about others. Not just ourselves. Good post.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I can't believe you even asked that.
    You are, frivolously, comparing a private party negotiation (salary increases) with a state providing enhanced consideration in rights-infringement based upon "service". That, sir, is ******** of the highest order. The two issues have NOTHING to do with each other.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    You are, frivolously, comparing a private party negotiation (salary increases) with a state providing enhanced consideration in rights-infringement based upon "service". That, sir, is ******** of the highest order. The two issues have NOTHING to do with each other.

UMM!!! NO!!!

We're talking about reaping rewards for serving/services provided.

As in, thank you for doing what most people refuse to do and enjoy the perks.

What is your stance on Handi-Capped parking??? How about signs that reads: Those with no legs can park in the back of the lot with the rest of the lot.

Clever play on words which I couldn't resist. I do that a lot.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sb281 said if you had a bill of sale prior to oct 1 then you could take possession without a hql? Did that language get struck from final version?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Sb281 said if you had a bill of sale prior to oct 1 then you could take possession without a hql? Did that language get struck from final version?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Purchase Order only applies to the soon-to-be banned "assault long guns". Covered in other threads here.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    WTF does this have to do with the price of tea in China?
    I agree, I did not serve, and I thank all of you that do or did very much. You get many benefits from retiring from the military that I don't have and you deserve them. However, it should not make you more privileged in the civilian world when it comes to requirements to own or posess a firearm.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    You quoted this from the MSP web site, not SB281, right? If so, you are just perpetuating bad info from MSP.

From SB281 (the HQL section):

5–117.1
    (A) THIS SECTION DOES NOT APPLY TO:

(1) A LICENSED FIREARMS MANUFACTURER;

(2) A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR PERSON WHO IS RETIRED IN GOOD STANDING FROM SERVICE WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES, THE STATE, OR A LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THE STATE;

(3) A MEMBER OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR, OR THE NATIONAL GUARD OR

(4) A PERSON PURCHASING, RENTING, OR RECEIVING AN ANTIQUE, CURIO, OR RELIC FIREARM, AS DEFINED IN FEDERAL LAW OR IN DETERMINATIONS PUBLISHED BY THE BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS AND EXPLOSIVES.
    Ok, so then who in the hell do we listen too or believe?

To solve this right now, every dealer that has been holding a firearm past 8 days with no response should release TODAY.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    not sure if I agree that these groups are being given "titles of nobility". I think the case will be argued that these groups of people have already received firearm training that exceeds the requirement of SB281/HQL (what ever they decide that requirement will be)... for example. in the service I was fingerprinted, I took firearms safety courses with range time, regular requalification, and had a background check, etc. basically I did way more than the HQL (as outlined in the bill) requires. just my two cents...the big picture is that we shouldn't even have to arguing about this type of sh!t because we have the second amendment in the constitution....but I do like your train of thought of using their own BS against them....

I would agree that there is not really a "title" per se granted, more of a pro forma title. I understand that part of the reasoning is that the exemption stems from training has already been accomplished (and to that there is some inherent understanding) and should not be required again. The courts will have to decide what level of training (if any) is constructional with "well regulated." It would be a far cry for our society to think unorganized militia meeting regularly or offering our kids classes on marksmanship in high school would satisfy this requirement.

The "titles of nobility" argument is rock solid on a constitutional basis from the standpoint of being able to demonstrate that natural and civil rights are not reserved for people with such titles. Obviously, such titles could be used and granted as a partisan tool. The underlying principle of "titles of nobility" is little different than the practice of and reasons for deeming people as 3/5ths human. In either case, the purpose is to create serfs/slaves with few or no rights.

Correct.

Time to chime in.

You "Titles of Nobility" / "Armchair Constitutionalists" need to get over it and yourselves.

Only 1 - 1-1/2 percent of the population serve actively in the Military. It's a tough road serving long enough to RETIRE with bennies. I personally worked 70 hours a week or more and when I put to sea it was much, much more. As in no time off other than sleep.

So. No titles. Just BENNIES.

Again, get over it.

or

Serve and see what it's like.

or

Go play Wannabe and polish your commercial AR-15.

or

Simply shut-up about it.

No one in their right mind is demeaning your benefits...no one in their right mind is saying you don't deserve a beer in every bar in the country as a thanks for your service or that you shouldn't be shown a level of respect above the average citizen. That said, there are others in this country whom have chosen a different road and by their equal, natural rights, are entitled to their opinion as well as equal and fair treatment under the eyes of the law (emphasis added).

This is not some "arm chair" theory either...it is new and forward thinking opinions of some well respected 2A and Constitutional lawyers whom I happen to read. Please, go take it up with them. Of if you want a more informed opinion than your 11 short paragraphs, go read this...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...lians-are-more-equal-than-others-again-still/

And we aren't the ones here to blame! Blame Annapolis! Use every possible argument to prove the blatant tyranny that is before us in court.

And no...no one is making the poor analogy between folks whom have physical handicaps through (most likely) no faults of their own, and enumerated, natural and fundamental rights. Saying that legless folks should park in the back of a parking lot does not equal fair and equal treatment of a civil right under the law.

WTF does this have to do with the price of tea in China?

That's a good question. But...I'll shut my "Arm-chair Constitutionalists" yap since, I guess, as a peon citizen of this state and country I am incapable of reading history, law reviews, and other well crafted articles and essays upon the subject of our republic. I guess it is not right to crowd-source potential attacks at this garbage. Maybe the lawyers arguing our side will say "we don't need it." Who knows...but I brought it up and put it out there...maybe a few folks get something out of this little bit of history and our compact document.

Hopefully we can get back on track to complaining about the law and the politicians.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We still need to think about others. Not just ourselves. Good post.

Just because some of us (i.e., me) are fortunate enough to get through this mess with some purchases does NOT mean that are rights are not being infringed. I will NOT be able to get one of every banned assault weapon before this things comes to a head. Not even close. Nor will I be able to buy one of every handgun out there. So, while I will have a smile on my face while shooting all the new stuff I bought, I will still be seething inside that I CANNOT buy anything on the banned list and that if I want another handgun I will have to jump through hoops to get the HQL.

Anybody that thinks this thing does not affect them because they bought what they want right now, is not thinking long term.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just got the call from Bass Pro.

Hot Damn.

And I don't have to claim "Nobility" / "Retired" status either.

How long did you have to wait? Just saw Smokey, a Bass Pro employee, post something about "Pick up your phones people". Just wondering if Bass Pro has had a change of policy/heart, because it is really starting to piss me off and I don't even have a handgun in prison over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom