• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Looks like they dropped to $279. I may have to pick one up...

They're out of the unissued ones and are down to excellent ones with minor holster wear. That's what the price drop is for.

Id prolly get one but the mags are over 10 rounds and hard to find, so it's not worth it for me.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    They're out of the unissued ones and are down to excellent ones with minor holster wear. That's what the price drop is for.

Id prolly get one but the mags are over 10 rounds and hard to find, so it's not worth it for me.

Are they that hard to find? I was under the impression that newer Beretta mags have both mag catch notches.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

Mags aren't really an issue. I have no issues with holster wear either, my biggest mental hurdle is the mag catch location. For $300 I think I can get over it.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Anyone that has any interest in C&R type guns can get over the mag release in that location. Most older European guns have it on the heel of the grip. For me, it's a non-issue.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Anyone that has any interest in C&R type guns can get over the mag release in that location. Most older European guns have it on the heel of the grip. For me, it's a non-issue.

I know. Almost all of my C&R guns have heel releases. For me, it just messes with what I think of as the 92.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I know, but I just keep telling myself these aren't new guns. Some might be unissued, but these are made in the late 70's or early 80's. For this price, I'll get over it quickly.

I know what ur saying though, I have a PT99AF for home defense and I am very familiar and comfortable with it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What about the Beretta M9-A1 9mm - is it any better than the 92FS?

That I don't know. Haven't fired a Beretta since I've owned my 96 way back then. The 96 has a four inch barrel iirc. The 92 is five inch?
    by my experience, I think that would probably be a little more accurate
    My criticism is mainly on slide mounted decockers and safeties. I've seen shooters have a terrible time manipulating them under stress. I won't touch one.
    I think a DAO Beretta would be an acceptable self defense pistol for the average gun owner.
    But for the ones that got up to pretty high round counts, 10k+ levels, didn't they have cracking slide issues?

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Piss! I'm waiting for CMP to charge, thinking about a P64 or one of the 92S's just to pass the time. I'm getting close....

BTW I love my 92FS. No, it's not the ideal battle pistol, but it is my go-to when I need to work on fundamentals or teach them to others. It's not even bad for a carry gun if you need an off-body option.

I think these are probably a deal I want in on.

PISS!!!

Feb 28, 2013
    That I don't know. Haven't fired a Beretta since I've owned my 96 way back then. The 96 has a four inch barrel iirc. The 92 is five inch?
    by my experience, I think that would probably be a little more accurate
    My criticism is mainly on slide mounted decockers and safeties. I've seen shooters have a terrible time manipulating them under stress. I won't touch one.
    I think a DAO Beretta would be an acceptable self defense pistol for the average gun owner.
    But for the ones that got up to pretty high round counts, 10k+ levels, didn't they have cracking slide issues?

If we ever get together at a range we'll have to see what you can do with my Taurus PT-99. The safeties on those are frame mounted, despite otherwise being a clone of the Beretta.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I cannot for the life of me understand why any gun designer would put the safety up there on the slide.

Okay, one time, while drunk, perhaps. But not twice.

Yet there has been a whole slew of pistols made these past 90 years with that horrible misplaced useless safety. Did those sadistic designers really intend to have us tear great chunks of bleeding flesh from our hands while racking the slide? That's what the razor-edged safety on my P38 tries to do.

And that horrible design gets copied and copied, and people buy them!

Last edited:

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Okay I finally handled one of these at the Palmetto State Armory store in Charleston SC on Black Friday. It was pretty...lots of wear on the blue but it had a really nice patina such that I had to check to be sure the frame was not blued steel.

I ordered one from SOG and hope to have it in hand early next week. I should have waited...Dan's has some in "collector grade" for essentially the same price. Damn I wish they were C&R!

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Here it is!

Just got my 92s from SOG. I requested hand pick and "Excellent condition" which amounted to $319; shipping included totaled $352.17. I have no regrets.

I'm going to get her cleaned up...my awesome phone camera shows some leftover cosmo but it is very clean, no rust or pitting, and the chamber and bore look really good. I would put this 95% or better.

Note the mag release and left-side only safety. Some folks have asked about the availability of mags, and I have determined this is not an issue. If you have 92 mags with the same cutout near the bottom right side, they will work just fine. Most of mine do, but the mec-gar and milsurp ones I already owned do not. I have seen plenty of milsurp ones that do have the proper cut (and always wondered why it was there). I am not going to venture into the garage with any of mine to dremel the cut myself, but I guess that is an option.

Enjoy!

jgu5uKu.jpg

YH3kmm2.jpg

9P8XG1e.jpg

CB20Vrf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120