• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Can I transfer a stripped AR lower to my BIL for the use of an AR pistol that he is building? We would go through police barracks to do the transfer but I find they know the least about the law. I probably won't do it anyway since it is one of my grandfathered lowers that I might build one day but it came up in conversation.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah, you'd both be better off if he just bought one from an IP. Buying yours doesn't get him anything special (other than maybe a great price if you're generous) but you lose the grandfathered status.

I'd just go buy one from an IP if I were him.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Why do you need an HQL for a stripped lower? It can be built as a rifle in a legal configuration. It should be transferred as an "other".

Because MSP says you do.

The legality of that is questionable, but right now them's the rules.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you purchased or transferred a lower as an O, no HQL is required. It can legally be built into an HBAR or a pistol and be legal.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    he does not need an hql .stop spreading disinformation.

Calm down, Beavis. It was a mistake.

I don't know what I was thinking about this morning, but no you don't need an HQL. You DO need to do the 77R for transferring a regulated firearm, though. I read HQL this morning and saw 77R, and wrote HQL when I meant 77R. Honest mistake.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007

I don't know what I was thinking about this morning, but no you don't need an HQL. You DO need to do the 77R for transferring a regulated firearm, though. I read HQL this morning and saw 77R, and wrote HQL when I meant 77R. Honest mistake.

OK butthead but do your homework first.:rolleyes:

trap

Sep 26, 2010
    Germantown
    Can I transfer a stripped AR lower to my BIL for the use of an AR pistol that he is building? We would go through police barracks to do the transfer but I find they know the least about the law. I probably won't do it anyway since it is one of my grandfathered lowers that I might build one day but it came up in conversation.

United Gun Shop in Rockville has Spikes and Anderson stripped lower receiver. If I'm not mistaken, 119 for the Spikes.

Shadow503

Jul 9, 2014

Wait, isn't a stripped lower cash & carry for private sale?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom