• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Ummm, it is an Opinion from the head Prosecutor of the State of MD, and as such will be used by all other lower prosecutors in the state of MD.

So call it an opinion, but the only way that opinion gets reversed/overturned/nullified is for someone to violate the "opinion" and have a defense attorney challenge it in court, and then have a judge rule against the AG.

Are you volunteering to challenge the "opinion?"

It will be challenged when someone waiting for 100 days to be ND gets the call on October 1 to pick up and doesn't have a HQL.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I can't believe we need to get an HQL just to rent at a shooting range. That is asinine.

An HQL is not needed to rent at a range. It is needed to rent a firearm and take it off of the property.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    I think in the end O'Malley won't require the HQL for pre-Oct 1st purchases simply because requiring it will crash the system--I mean, will crash it more than it already is--, which will be quickly followed by a lawsuit where even a mediocre judge won't be able to accept a de facto embargo on handgun transfers. Not that O'Malley cares at all at the endless delays it would cause, he cares about negative headlines to his HQL baby.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I think in the end O'Malley won't require the HQL for pre-Oct 1st purchases simply because requiring it will crash the system--I mean, will crash it more than it already is--, which will be quickly followed by a lawsuit where even a mediocre judge won't be able to accept a de facto embargo on handgun transfers. Not that O'Malley cares at all at the endless delays it would cause, he cares about negative headlines to his HQL baby.

I want to know how they are going to get them done in 30 days, which requires the MD specified background check, when they can't do them now in 120 days...

Remember folks, they are counting on 68,000 HQL's issued in fiscal year 2014 per the budget. Which means they'll have to do at least 136,000 background checks (for the HQL and at least one purchase for each, otherwise why would a person get one?). They have only done about 32,000 total in the past 8 months, extrapolating that brings the total to 48,000. Next year is going to be bumpy...

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

Exactly which liberal media news outlet is going to give him "negative headlines?"

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Taking the aproach of never think conspiracy when events can be explain by simple stupidity , then O'Mally et al are simply stupid , and haven't thought at all about any consequence of their actions.

But if they have any functioning grey matter , and have given the slightest thought to their actions and goals , then they are Trying to bring the system to a standstill on purpose. Once they think they have eliminated the *loophole* by having no 8 day escape clause in the HQL , they want to styme all of the evil hoarders in the pre 9/30 backlog for as long as possable. They want to make the process seem so drawnout and interminable that most first time buyers won't want to be bothered , and just skip it.

Through either calculation or arrogance , they figure that either the Federal Courts won't stop their de facto ban , or will take so long , they will have already dissuaded a generation of potential first time buyers by then.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Taking the aproach of never think conspiracy when events can be explain by simple stupidity , then O'Mally et al are simply stupid , and haven't thought at all about any consequence of their actions.

But if they have any functioning grey matter , and have given the slightest thought to their actions and goals , then they are Trying to bring the system to a standstill on purpose. Once they think they have eliminated the *loophole* by having no 8 day escape clause in the HQL , they want to styme all of the evil hoarders in the pre 9/30 backlog for as long as possable. They want to make the process seem so drawnout and interminable that most first time buyers won't want to be bothered , and just skip it.

Through either calculation or arrogance , they figure that either the Federal Courts won't stop their de facto ban , or will take so long , they will have already dissuaded a generation of potential first time buyers by then.

As a first time buyer, I've had it up to my eyeballs several times. I honestly became serious about purchasing my first guns last October, and between research, the panic prices I refused to pay, and now sitting on day 111 of my wait, I'm almost a year in and still don't have any guns in my possession.

I had my eye on a few final purchases, but I have backed out since I'm tired of dealing with the BS. Putting the money toward a house out of state. It's more than just firearms for me; I can't stand O'Malley on all fronts, and the bozos coming down the pipe aren't much better than him. I'll offer my support while still here in MD, but I'd rather live with more like-minded people who aren't as brain dead as many Maryland voters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well shoot , I hadn't figured this next angle until now , but the above post had me thinking.

Look at the population , in particular the voting population of Washington DC .for a couple of generations before the handgun purchase ban in the '80s , DC had extreme gun control. So by selfselection anyone who was gunowner , or had any concern over Constitutional Rights did not volentarily move into the District, but to other nearby jurisdiction. Look at the long term effect on the electorate.

Meanwhile in Md , the discussion is about existing residents taking to steps to uproot. But the long term bigger effect is once the nationwide understand get around that Md is the new Cali/ NJ/ NYC , prospective inbound residents will selffilter also .

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Do we have to get this if we already have handguns? I heard mixed opinions on this. I guess we'll know when we see the new applications.

You need it to PURCHASE a hand gun as of 10/1 whether you already own a handgun or not. You do not need it for handguns you already own. There is no ambiguity with this.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    They have had that for at least 40 years.

And like CCW in MD, the granting of FID is NOT mandatory. It is granted by the local LE. A college buddy could not get one (from Boston area) as his city was against issuing them, but the next town over was more like shall issue.

He changed his residency to MD.

So there ARE worst places for 2A than MD.

Take a look at the handguns you are allowed to own in MA sometime.

If it isn't on the list you may not own it or posses it.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster05-2013amended.pdf

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    You need it to PURCHASE a hand gun as of 10/1 whether you already own a handgun or not. You do not need it for handguns you already own. There is no ambiguity with this.

I get this.
    But what about a pistol purchase, say 27 September or already purchased and forms filled but waiting on the 30 day wait to pick up that goes over Oct 1?

Thanks for clarification.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I was planning to have a stripped lower put in my wife's name to avoid the training requirement. Would that satisfy the "lawfully owns a regulated firearm"?

The bill (http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Chapters_noln/CH_427_sb0281e.pdf) says:

5–117.1.
    (E) AN APPLICANT FOR A HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE IS NOT REQUIRED TO COMPLETE A FIREARMS SAFETY TRAINING COURSE UNDER SUBSECTION (D) OF THIS SECTION IF THE APPLICANT:
    or (6) LAWFULLY OWNS A REGULATED FIREARM.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I get this.
    But what about a pistol purchase, say 27 September or already purchased and forms filled but waiting on the 30 day wait to pick up that goes over Oct 1?

Thanks for clarification.

You must have an HQL to take possession of a handgun after Oct 1.

It does not matter when you "purcahsed," paid for, ordered, etc. It only has to with physically taking possession.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, but realize, that come Oct 1, she owns that lower, and you cannot get it back unless you inherit it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom