Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Old Salty Dog

Ultimate Member
    Nov 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    I know, I know......
    :)
    The AR-10 I bought from Dan a year ago was handled as regulated. I wasn't looking for one last weekend, but it came up in the conversation that AR-10's weren't regulated. Perhaps confusion is clearing a bit with ARs. Worth a call to Dan when he gets back to see how he would handle a sale now.

Lou thanks for the intel on the HBAR configuration by others than Colt. I was of that same opinion, but it was just that - an opinion and mine don't count for much.
    :D

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    To the best of my knowledge there is nothing made in reference to the AR10 in .308/7.62NATO on the MD "assault weapon" list. This would lead me to believe it is non-regulated. I have sold a few AR10's in the past as non-reg.

Approximately one year ago there had been a big stink amongst some dealers come up about AR15 HBAR's not manufactured by Colt being regulated or non-regulated. After going through the appropiate channels I turned over the findings to the MLFDA. Long story short; if the AR15 (set aside NFA) regardless of manufacturer, is in a bona fide HBAR configuration, it is non-regulated.

What exactly is bona fide HBAR configuration?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Sweet. :party29: Now if only they would open up a store front so I could buy small parts from them directly.

IMO that's the biggest pain in the ass with them :sad20:

I got mine at a show, and IIRC they used top open to the public on certain days but that changed and they went internet only. That sucks because I'm in Savage a lot, it would be nice to stop by.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    IMO that's the biggest pain in the ass with them :sad20:

I got mine at a show, and IIRC they used top open to the public on certain days but that changed and they went internet only. That sucks because I'm in Savage a lot, it would be nice to stop by.

ME too, and I'm always needing LPK's or other small parts. It kills me that they are right there and literally have bins of the stuff and I cannot buy them direct. Instead I have to pay shipping and state sales tax to buy from them.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    What exactly is bona fide HBAR configuration?

It's the copy part of the law, that's makes the cut toward our side. If the barrel says heavy barrel, you're good to go.

http://www.mdsp.org/downloads/assault_weapons.pdf

The barrel to be considered "heavy barrel" or "HBAR" does not have to be marked as such, though it MUST be heavy barrel contour. Some may think the outer exposed portion of the barrel that is readily visible appears to fall into the HBAR contour doesn't necessarily mean it is HBAR. Pull the handguard to be sure the barrel is not tapered thin aft of the front sight/gas block assembly. If it IS tapered thin in this area, it is NOT HBAR. Back in late 2008 I had picked up a quantity of Century C15's for the lower end $$ buyers so they could get an affordable AR before anything would go down politically. The guns were advertised with having heavy barrels. Out of 100 guns, about 10 were NOT heavy barrels. Damned good thing I checked before selling them non-reg.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Its funny all these different opinions on how FFL's handle the AR-10 and HBAR AR-15's and yet we havent heard of any FFL getting in trouble for doing it either way...

I know of a shop in AA County that will only sell Colt HBARs as non reg, a bushmaster in heavy config is transferred as regulated. Thats what I was told.

You guys are in Savage all the time? Im sorry lol(I live close, and am out of that Firehouse)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom