• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    If an individual were going the individual route (i.e. non-trust) for a From 1/4, is it required that the individual go through MSP for sign-off, or would your local CLEO (County Sheriff) suffice? Is their any Maryland law stating that MSP must sign-off on all NFA forms?

Thanks fellas!

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Most counties have an unwritten agreement with MSP that MSP does the signoff.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I'm out in Carroll County with Sheriff Ken Tregoning, and the last time I talked with him concerning notification of my C&R license, I brought up other items such as suppressors. He stated that he "really didn't care as long as it didn't bother my neighbors" when I told him I was considering purchasing NFA items in the future. So... from what I gather here, is that most CLEO's differ to MSP for NFA sign-off due to professional curtsey, and there's really nothing specifically written in Maryland law to the contrary. Would that statement be correct?

That being said, I've been doing NFA transfers via my trust for years. But, I just now have some friends who are starting to get into NFA items, but live in different parts of the state. Just trying to provide them with valid information, concerning with whether going thorough MSP is required, or if a willing CLEO sign-off will suffice.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    If you could get a local judge, state's attorney, or CLEO, you'd be all set. There aren't many counties in MD where you have willing candidates though. Probably just MSP.

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    If you live in a municipality, the local chief may sign off as well. Once again many may differ to MSP though. If you live in Frederick County, Sheriff Jenkins signs off on them and returns them in a couple of days.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have friends in Carroll County and the Sheriff signed off on theirs, no problem and quick. A willing CLEO will suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom