• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave_E71

Nov 11, 2009
    I'm shopping (which is between tire kicking and buying) right now and have been looking at factory Colt full auto AR-15s, converted ARs and Thompsons. I'm seeing examples of all three in the range of what I'm willing to spend.

I really would like a Thompson and my first (of many I'm sure) question is, are there any issues I need to be aware of with the West Hurley guns, in particular the 1928?

Thanks,
    Dave

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    It's heavy as hell. Cost 20K+. Magazines aren't cheap anymore. Have to buy the magazines out of state.

They are easy to work on and lots of spare are still on the market.

Hit the big shows and you'll find

Dennis A. Todd
    239 Baltimore Pike
    Springfield, PA 19064
    Phone: (610) 543-7300
    FAX: (610) 543-7909

with a few.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Some of the West Hurley guns do need a little tweaking to make them run better. That said, the 1928 is on my to buy list also and it will probably end up being a WH.

You should come out to our Maryland Thompson Collector's Association Open House and MG Display at AGC on 3/23. About 1:00-4:00. We'll probalby have a hundred+ MG's and other NFA weapons on display. One of our members has 4 or 5 Thompsons and is very familiar with the ins and outs of West Hurley's. BTW, I love shooting his 1928 WH, and have NEVER had an issue with it functioning.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I'm shopping (which is between tire kicking and buying) right now and have been looking at factory Colt full auto AR-15s, converted ARs and Thompsons. I'm seeing examples of all three in the range of what I'm willing to spend.

I really would like a Thompson and my first (of many I'm sure) question is, are there any issues I need to be aware of with the West Hurley guns, in particular the 1928?

Thanks,
    Dave

So a M16 or a Thompson huh? M16 give much more flexibility but its hard to be the Thompsons cool and historical factor.

Yes WH guns are not all equal. I hear they are hit or miss. Some work great. Others require tweaking. Best to know how it shoots before you buy. At least all Thompsons are C&R, no matter the date now. So get your C&R license. WH are going to be about half as much as any other 1928 style Gun. So you get a good price but be careful.

You should come out to our Maryland Thompson Collector's Association Open House and MG Display at AGC on 3/23. About 1:00-4:00. We'll probalby have a hundred+ MG's and other NFA weapons on display. One of our members has 4 or 5 Thompsons and is very familiar with the ins and outs of West Hurley's. BTW, I love shooting his 1928 WH, and have NEVER had an issue with it functioning.

Yes! I agree!

I used a WH 1928 to win first price at the second TCA national shoot at the AGC and came in second overall. WH can be very nice but sometimes they do leave a little to be desired, especially when it comes to the furniture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom