• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I was told that ONLY the MSP can sign off on ATF forms. I dont have a trust.

You were told wrong.

See Instruction F on the Form 1. Adobe won't let me copy/paste it here.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here:

f. Law Enforcement Certification. The chief law enforcement officer is
    considered to be the Chief of Police for the maker’s city or town of residence,
    the Sheriff for the maker’s county of residence; the Head of the State Police for
    the maker’s State of residence; a State or local district attorney or prosecutor
    having jurisdiction in the maker’s area of residence; or another person whose
    certifcation is acceptable to the Director, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
    Firearms and Explosives. If someone has specific delegated authority to sign
    on behalf of the Chief of Police, Sheriff, etc., this fact must be noted by
    printing the Chief’s, Sheriff’s, or other authorized official’s name and title,
    followed by the word “by” and the full signature and title of the delegated
    person. Item 13 must be completed for an individual maker. The certification
    must be dated no more than one year prior to the date of receipt of the
    application

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    I wouldn't engrave until you get the approval. I would suggest you get a trust setup then submit. Its a lot quicker than sending the forms off to MSP then ATF and you don't need fingerprints or pictures.

If building a SBR (via Trust and Form 1) from a registered lower, am I required to engrave the lower? As this is my first NFA, I assume BATFE issues a NFA/SBR number and that is what gets engraved on the lower? Thanks in advance for any help.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If building a SBR (via Trust and Form 1) from a registered lower, am I required to engrave the lower? As this is my first NFA, I assume BATFE issues a NFA/SBR number and that is what gets engraved on the lower? Thanks in advance for any help.

What you'd need to have engraved onto the lower is your Trust name and city and state of said trust.

*If I forgot anything, anyone feel free to add to it.

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    Here is my revised process as of 9/25

1. Purchase Items to be SBR'd

2. Fill out form 1 with Rifle info. http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

3. Get Live scan fingerprints sent to the MSP VIA a Livescan authorized location. http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

4. While doing live scan also do 2 ATF fingerprint cards on FBO form FD-258 ONLY!!! (The Ink FBI fingerprint cards can be done at a later date prior to sending the forms off to the ATF.)

5. Drop ATF Form 1 and Live Scan transaction ID number off at MSP barracks.

6. Wait 3 months for FORM 1 return from the state.

7. Mail ATF Form 1, (2) INK Fingerprint cards, ATF Compliance form http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf and a $200 check to ATF.

8. Wait 6-9 months for paperwork to return back from ATF

9. Engrave Items with exact woding that was on the Form 1 document.

10. Modify weapon and ENjoy!!!!

Please note this is for people that DO NOT have a TRUST. I spoke to several people at the MSP and they all said that CLEO's cannot sign ATF forms. I am probably wrong but I am not going to risk my paperwork being kicked back this close to 10/1 by the ATF.

ALSO NOTE!!!!! I spoke to the MSP about the Live Scan ID number for the MSP barracks and she notified me that the livescan ID for the MSP has CHANGED!!!!! The original number of 94XXXXXX is no longer valid and you need to use 1000000680 to get the fingerprints to the right MSP department. Failure to use the correct number will result in the MSP no being able to retrieve your fingerprints and the subsequent rejection of the ATF form.

Again, all the information I have put in here is the process of what I did. Your situation might be different than mine.

Clutch

Jan 10, 2013
    Severn
    What you'd need to have engraved onto the lower is your Trust name and city and state of said trust.

*If I forgot anything, anyone feel free to add to it.

Thank you. I later found this in the NFA FAQ thread which I hadn't even noticed earlier. Nonetheless, I appreciate the direct response. Now if I could just get the damn ATF E-forms site to actually work so I can submit my form 1..... If I had more hair I'd be willing to pull some out at this point.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Yeah, I get it, but what Ize confuzled about is how do both photos get affixed to the F1? There appears to be room for two photos to be affixed, but one of the spaces is greyed out and has no instruction to affix anything there.

You need an original and a copy of the form 1. It says right at the top of the page "Submit in duplicate". 1 photo for each form 1. And also, the check is made to Department of Justice now.

Last edited:

Watchmyshoes

Nov 8, 2012
    If you sbr a stripped lower do you put the company ( ie. engage armamant Rockville, md) in the original manufacturer (4a) and the serial number they put in 4g or do you follow the instructions as though you are making it from parts??

Also is "short barrel rifle" sufficient for type of firearm to be made??

Lastly what would be the model for item 4d??

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere...

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you sbr a stripped lower do you put the company ( ie. engage armamant Rockville, md) in the original manufacturer (4a) and the serial number they put in 4g or do you follow the instructions as though you are making it from parts??

Also is "short barrel rifle" sufficient for type of firearm to be made??

Lastly what would be the model for item 4d??

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere...
    It has been answered, but:
    They ask for the name of the original manufacturer, so use it. In your example, Engage Armament LLC.

If the lower is serialed, then use that number. If it was built from an 80% it wouldn't have a serial, but you'd have to get one engraved on it anyway I think, so in that case you could use whatever number you wanted.

Short barrel rifle is sufficient.

Model is whatever it was given by the original manufacturer. In your example, it would be E4.

Unless you're submitting it today, you're probably going to be SOL getting LEO signoff on a Form 1, unless you're using a trust.

Watchmyshoes

Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks for all your help fellas. I was able to get out to pikesville this morning and just when I thought I couldn't incur anymore speed bumps I was told my paperwork could not be submitted because the form was not printed front/back. Quick thinking (because of course the females working there were no help) I went to the library across the street and got it copied and in at the last minute.

Ronin9

Jun 11, 2013
    Good 'ole "Fredneck" County
    Carroll County- call Sue at Sheriff Tregoning's office and make an appointment she is his secretary. He is a great Sheriff and supporter of the 2A. You shouldnt have any problem he did 5 for me Monday AM.

Don't suppose anyone knows if the Frederick County sheriff's office is 2A friendly as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom