• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk911

May 10, 2011
    Church Hill
    Hi all, Im an animal control officer and we carry shotguns and rimfire rifles. We are a small department with only 4 officers. We would like to do our training/qualification in house and my supervisor advised that she would send me to instructor training to do so for our department. Im not sure what the best classes would be to attend or which direction would be best for this type of training. Im assuming NRA classes would be best for this? And also I saw the "bit" training requirement for some of those classes but im not sure what it means. Thanks for any advice to get us going in the right direction.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Hi all, Im an animal control officer and we carry shotguns and rimfire rifles. We are a small department with only 4 officers. We would like to do our training/qualification in house and my supervisor advised that she would send me to instructor training to do so for our department. Im not sure what the best classes would be to attend or which direction would be best for this type of training. Im assuming NRA classes would be best for this? And also I saw the "bit" training requirement for some of those classes but im not sure what it means. Thanks for any advice to get us going in the right direction.

Not sure what type of training or qualification you are looking for.

If you are looking to have yourself become an NRA instructor, you will need to attend an NRA Pistol Instructor class. You will need to pass a pre-qualification test for the discipline (pistol/rifle/shotrun) you wish to become an instructor for. Once you pass the pre-qualification written and practical exams, you will need to take the NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) to become familiar with the NRA instruction methods and procedures. You need to pass the BIT exam with 90% or better in order to attend the instructor class.

Once you pass the BIT, you attend an instructor class in the discipline (pistol/rifle/shotgun). Again, you must pass a written test with a 90% or better , get the approval of the instructor and pay your instructor fees.

The BIT is about 8-9 hours and the discipline classes can run anywhere from 8-16 hours.

I will be doing a NRA Pistol Instructor class this upcoming weekend (May 30-31) at the AGC. The BIT will be on May 30 and the Pistol Instructor class on May 31.

You can find most of the NRA Instructor classes on the NRA website (www.nrainstructors.org). Note that not all classes are listed there and not all classes are open to the general public. Some are special offerings or contractual.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    MCBruzdzinski (above) is a great instructor trainer.

I see your in Queen Anne's, closer to him as well.

As far as classes, We just trained a large contingent of Park Police in NRA Basic Rifle, NRA BIT, NRA Rifle Instructor and NRA RSO.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    CypherPunk From what I gather you are an instructor. I've been looking into getting my instructor certifications but it seems like the classes are few and far between. Are you qualified to teach instructors and if so where do you provide the training? Do you have any classes coming up?

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    CypherPunk From what I gather you are an instructor. I've been looking into getting my instructor certifications but it seems like the classes are few and far between. Are you qualified to teach instructors and if so where do you provide the training? Do you have any classes coming up?

unfortunately instructor courses are far and few between. ya gotta stay on top of the different schedules out there, and expect to drive distances worthy of getting tax deductions for business travel. to the OP, mcbruzdzinski is an excellent instructor and if you wanna get on his good side, take some bacon as payment :D.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    unfortunately instructor courses are far and few between. ya gotta stay on top of the different schedules out there, and expect to drive distances worthy of getting tax deductions for business travel. to the OP, mcbruzdzinski is an excellent instructor and if you wanna get on his good side, take some bacon as payment :D.
    This.

Had to travel 2 hours one way. Its all worth it. :)

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    The instructor courses are well worth the time and money, especially of someone else pays the fees.

It will improve your own skills as a bonus.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

Be sure and check schedules and talk with instructors about prerequisites &/or pre-qualifications for each course. For example, the schedule below shows the pre-req's & any required pre-certs for each course. You can then piece together the progression of courses. (e.g., Basic Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH, BIT, Pistol Inst, PPITH Inst, PPOTH Inst, Adv Def Pistol, etc.)

Also, taking the NRA RSO course is always a good idea, and can usually be taken at any time in that course progression. It's a good class that can help you manage the live-fire portion of any classes you teach or assist with.

Getting invloved with IDPA or USPSA/IPSC at any time along this progression is a good way to stay in regular practice for most of the PPITH/PPOTH skills, and I think is an excellent way for instructors to continue getting better at what they're trying to teach.

MCBruzdzinski is a great instructor trainer.
    Woodstock and lx1x are both good instructors.
    Blaster229 is a diva.

Here is my team's training schedule
    http://www.frederickiwla.org/uploads/Training.pdf

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I have an NRA Pistol Instructor course coming up soon. I am working on the logistics (i.e. class room space). Hopefully in June and one in the fall.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I think that for an Animal Control Officer, NRA Basic classes are a waste of time. You should be leaning more towards a LE firearms instructor course. I would check with Tom Perroni.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster

Do most of you have your own training company to be able to take these as tax deductions? If so I may need to have a sit down and chat with one or 2 of you about it just for more information. Admittedly part of my interest is to make some extra cash as a side thing from my normal job.

I have heard that mcbruzdzinski was a good trainer from a coworker.

Be sure and check schedules and talk with instructors about prerequisites &/or pre-qualifications for each course. For example, the schedule below shows the pre-req's & any required pre-certs for each course. You can then piece together the progression of courses. (e.g., Basic Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH, BIT, Pistol Inst, PPITH Inst, PPOTH Inst, Adv Def Pistol, etc.)
    Also, taking the NRA RSO course is always a good idea, and can usually be taken at any time in that course progression. It's a good class that can help you manage the live-fire portion of any classes you teach or assist with.

Getting invloved with IDPA or USPSA/IPSC at any time along this progression is a good way to stay in regular practice for most of the PPITH/PPOTH skills, and I think is an excellent way for instructors to continue getting better at what they're trying to teach.

The pre-requisites are part of what I'm trying to firgure out as well. I took my first formal training (my father was a former NRA instructor and a US Marine so he taught me quite a bit) this year and loved it. It was the NRA Basic Pistol course. I realized that due to the training I had in the past I knew most of the information as well as learned a ton. What I was initially told was the NRA Basic was the only pre-requisite. From what you have posted it looks like I need to find a few other courses before trying for the instructor course. I'll have to look at the link from home since it appears as though my work is blocking the IWLA site.

The RSO course is one I want to take as well. That's actually VERY high on my list of training courses.

I also have to make sure I can set the money aside for each course. Budget constraints make it difficult to have the money available at a moments notice.

Last edited:

rdblan2

Mar 10, 2007
    I have an NRA Pistol Instructor course coming up soon. I am working on the logistics (i.e. class room space). Hopefully in June and one in the fall.

Wish I would have known about your one at AGC this weekend! That's about 20 minutes from my house. Instead, I'm driving 1.5 hours each way to Fairfax 3 times this weekend.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Yes, I'm independently wealthy from all the money I make teaching firearm safety and fighting pinheads in Annapolis, Sykesville and DC.

I learned about this great income opportunity when MDeng and I first met, eating caviar on ProShooters Learjet, on our way to Bruzdzinski"s yacht for a sail around the islands.

Maxsplat

Apr 11, 2013
    Westmonster
    Yes, I'm independently wealthy from all the money I make teaching firearm safety and fighting pinheads in Annapolis, Sykesville and DC.

I learned about this great income opportunity while MDeng and I met, eating caviar on ProShooters Learjet, on the way to Tom Perroni's yacht.

I sense sarcasm. Lol

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The legal bills I have incurred in the last 72 hours, plus the time away from work, expenses, NRA Instructor insurance, not even taking into account time serving on MSI's board...

I could have taken a 4 week cruise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom