• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    3. A centerfire rifle will be a banned "copycat" if it meets any one of these three tests:
    (1) Has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds; or
    (2) has an overall length of less than 29 inches; or
    (3) has two of the following attributes: (i) folding stock, (ii) grenade or flare launcher, or (iii) flash suppressor.

Were "pistol grip" and "thumbhole stock" removed from the evil feature list??

If so, does the "HBAR exception" survive this law for fixed-stock rifles?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Fantastic work. This summary should be sticky'd to the top. MSI maybe could come out with another pamphlet explaining the final bill details that we could hand to friends and family?

I believe this is in progress. waiting to see the final printed bill

couple things wrong on the OP:

the copycat features is any TWO of the features

reporting stolen firearms applies to ALL firearms (except antiques) not just regulated firearms

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009

yes and yes

HBAR needs further understanding, and I don't want to go further into that until after sine die

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

Yes. That's why my summary does not mention those features.

The bill does not change the list of regulated rifles or the exceptions that were part of that list. But understand this: The so-called "copycat" ban is entirely separate. A hypothetical rifle that is exempt under the list/copy provision can be banned under the "copycat"/features provision, or vice versa. They are two separate tests -- in effect, two separate bans.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Nope

couple things wrong on the OP:

the copycat features is any TWO of the features

reporting stolen firearms applies to ALL firearms (except antiques) not just regulated firearms

You are dead wrong on both points, and the OP is accurate on both points. Under the bill, a centerfire rifle is a banned copycat if it meets any one of the following three tests. The third test is indeed a two-features test -- but the rifle is banned if it is described in (1), OR in (2), OR in (3).

(3) has two of the following attributes: (i) folding stock, (ii) grenade or flare launcher, or (iii) flash suppressor.

My summary also accurately describes the "copycat" provisions for shotguns and pistols, both of which are covered by single-feature tests.

The lost-stolen firearms provision was amended on the floor to apply to regulated firearms only.

I hope you'll fix your post to avoid engendering confusion among readers.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    What about handguns that accept a magazine that is not in the hand grip?

A semiautomatic pistol will be a banned as an assault/copycat weapon only if it has a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds; this applies to both rimfire and centerfire. That's it. It doesn't matter where the fixed magazine is.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    How about the "purchase order" situation? Is it still vague, or will we be able to buy banned firearms prior to Oct 1 and receive them after Oct 1?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Is the 10 round mag only apply to new magazines and new guns? Or does it actually outlaw anything larger without grandfathering like NY state's new law?

The ban on sale and transfer applies to all detachable magazines with plus-10 capacity, whether associated with new guns, old guns, or no guns, and whether the magazines were made yesterday or 100 years ago. It is not a ban on possession.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    How about the "purchase order" situation? Is it still vague, or will we be able to buy banned firearms prior to Oct 1 and receive them after Oct 1?

If you have submitted a purchase order for an "assault"/"copycat" firearm by October 1, it is grandfathered. There is no such provision for handguns, so in my opinion, after October 1 you will need to possess the handgun qualification license to receive transfer of a handgun, with certain exceptions that are discussed in the OP summary.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I'm wondering if lurkers can use threads like this to find loopholes and tighten them up. Just a thought...

Presumably the lurkers have access to the same documents I do and can read the bill. I am simply explaining what the bill says or does not say on certain points.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    18. The bill imposes blanket firearms disqualifications on various broad new classes of persons. By "blanket firearms disqualification," I mean a prohibition on acquisition or possession of any type of handgun or long gun, except those defined in state law as antiques, or any type of ammunition. These include: (a) people who "suffer from a mental disorder as defined in §10-101(F)(2) of the Health-General Article and have a history of violent behavior against the firearm applicant or another." (b) Anyone "found incompetent to stand trial under §3-106 of the Criminal Procedure Article." (c) Anyone "found not criminally responsible under §3-110 of the Criminal Procedure Article." (d) Anyone who has ever "been voluntarily admitted for more than 30 consecutive days to a facility as defined in §10-101 of the Health-General Article." (e) Anyone who has ever "been involuntarily committed to a facility as defined in §10-101 of the Health-General Article," for any length of time. (f) Anyone for whom a guardian has been appointed under either §13-201(C) (guardianship of property for adults) or §13-705 (guardianship of the person) of the Estates and Trust Article, "except for cases in which the appointment of a guardian is solely the result of a physical disability." (g) Anyone against whom a protective order has been issued by a Maryland court or a court in any other state (see paragraph no. 12 above). (f) Anyone who has received a Probation Before Judgment for certain enumerated crimes, unless it has been expunged -- this is the Simmons Amendment, described in paragraph no. 15 above, and in much greater detail here. Anyone who is disqualified under the mental health or guardianship provisions may apply to the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene for "relief," meaning partial or complete restoration of firearms rights. Such an application must be accompanied by extensive documentation, including a statement by a psychiatrist or psychologist stating an opinion as to whether the applicant would be a danger to himself or others (these licensed professionals are granted immunity from liability for these opinions), authorization to view all medical records, "three statements . . . attesting to the applicant's reputation and character relevant to firearms ownership and possession including . . . at least two statements provided by an individual who is not related to the applicant," and so forth. The department is supposed to grant or deny the application within 60 days. If denied, the applicant has a right to request a hearing, or appeal to the circuit court. This so-called "restoration" process does not apply to disqualifications imposed by the Simmons Amendment, which can be lifted only by the legal process of expungment.

Does this mean that if someone has a restraining order (same as protective order?) against you, for any reason, you lose all gun rights? cant own anything? is this different than current law?

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You are dead wrong on both points. Under the bill, a centerfire rifle is a banned copycat if it meets any one of the following three tests. The third test is indeed a two-features test -- but the rifle is banned if it is described in (1), OR in (2), OR in (3).

My summary also accurately describes the "copycat" provisions for shotguns and pistols, both of which are covered by single-feature tests.

The lost-stolen firearms provision was amended on the floor to apply to regulated firearms only.

easy... lighten up!

OK - semantics on the first item. understood. copycat test is two, but the way you worded your post any one (meaning either of the two categories) makes it banned.

as for the amendment, I missed that. do you have the amendment number? I just went through all the house amendments and don't see it.

thanks.

bshedwick

Apr 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The ban on sale and transfer applies to all detachable magazines with plus-10 capacity, whether associated with new guns, old guns, or no guns, and whether the magazines were made yesterday or 100 years ago. It is not a ban on possession.

Thanks. I was concerned that MD would go all NY state and cuomo on us

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    protective orders

Does this mean that if someone has a restraining order (same as protective order?) against you, for any reason, you lose all gun rights? cant own anything? is this different than current law?

An entire thread should probably be devoted to this subject, which received virtually no attention during the public debates in the legislature, either in committees or on the House and Senate floor. With respect to domestic-partner protective orders issued by Maryland courts, judges are already empowered by current law to remove firearms when issuing an ex parte temporary order, and firearms removal is mandatory upon issuance of a long-term order. An ex parte order is one issued without advance notice to the targeted person, and therefore, without any opportunity to contest the order or present a defense. A long-term order can be issued only after an opportunity for the targeted person to context it at an adversarial hearing.

The bill contains a new provision that imposes a complete and instant firearms disqualification when a "protective" order is issued by an out-of-state court. By my reading, because the bill ties this new provision into a definition already found in the Maryland code that is extremely expansive, it would apply to all out-of-state restraining orders, no matter who seeks them, including those issued ex parte -- which, again, means without advance notice to the targeted party -- that merely prohibit communication or contact with an annoyed person. Such orders may be sought and obtained easily in many jurisdictions, sometimes by persons who have motives that are malicious, delusional, or even criminal.

A prominent and intelligent legislator told me she thought the bill provision did not mean what I think, and that it would be limited to out-of-state domestic-partner protective orders. I do not see language in the bill to support her interpretation, but I would welcome some impartial expert on family law telling me that she was right.

Under either her interpretation or mine, the bill does not apply to temporary ex parte "peace orders" issued by Maryland magistrates or courts, which can be sought by anybody and are issued essentially on request.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    easy... lighten up!

OK - semantics on the first item. understood. copycat test is two, but the way you worded your post any one (meaning either of the two categories) makes it banned.

I don't see how my post can possibly be read that way, or how it could be expressed any more clearly (and I have not changed this language in days). Here it is again:

3. A centerfire rifle will be a banned "copycat" if it meets any one of these three tests:

I don't know what you mean when you say "either of the two categories." I wrote nothing about "two categories." I wrote that there are three "tests," and that is correct. If the rifle flunks any one of the three "tests," it is banned. The first test is a one-feature test. The second test is a one-feature test. Only the third test is a two-features test -- as I wrote, the rifle flunks the third test if it "has two of the following attributes." But the rifle has flunked either test 1 OR test 2, then the third test -- the two-feature test -- is entirely irrelevant. It is already banned.

as for the amendment, I missed that. do you have the amendment number? I just went through all the house amendments and don't see it.thanks.

It is the Dumais Amendment no. SB0281/563221/1, and it was discussed during the House floor debate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom