• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    So, here I am with an ambiguous that will undoubtedly yield multiple answers.

I'm separating from the Army next year and will most likely be employed in the Odenton area. I'm back and forth on moving to PA and commuting or moving closer to work and living in MD.

Anyways, I have a Saiga AK I purchased here in NY in 2012. I know I purchased it in Oct of 2012 but I cannot for the life of me find the receipt. If I do move to Maryland what can I do to successfully bring this rifle with me? From what I've been reading on here I purchased it prior to 10/1 and it should be legal?

It kills me this rifle is legal in NY of all places but iffy in Maryland.

Any advice is appreciated!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well conversely, why do you need to prove anything? Let the state prove you didn't. That may not be a good legal strategy, but what else can you do without the receipt.?

IANAL.

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    Well conversely, why do you need to prove anything? Let the state prove you didn't. That may not be a good legal strategy, but what else can you do without the receipt.?

IANAL.

I concur, this is the type of attitude I'm inclined to take. I swear researching & understanding firearms laws in NY & MD can almost be a full time job. No matter how much you read you'll never have the complete answer!

I am going to stop in the gun store I purchased the rifle at and see if it's possible to get a copy of my receipt or 4473. However I'm not confident they will be much help. They're one of those stores we've all been too but don't like going back to.

Last edited:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Contact the FFL that you bought it from. See if he will give you a duplicate receipt. You have the month and year of purchase. It will not be hard for him to find the transaction in his bound book.

killborn

Jun 24, 2013
    Crownsville, MD
    Just finished the process of registering those firearms required after my move up from Texas. Processed in a week and no hassle. Doubt you will need proof, should be fine. If pressed for it for some specific reason, as above you can get confirmation from your FFL used.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Register here. not sure what they ask for. never had to do it

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Here is what they said is required

he new resident registration shall include the make, model, manufacturer’s serial number, caliber, type, barrel length, finish, and country of origin for each regulated firearms. The registration system is accessible online through MyLicense.
    https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx

From this I don't see a proof of purchase date or receipt required.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Register here. not sure what they ask for. never had to do it

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Here is what they said is required

[/URL]

From this I don't see a proof of purchase date or receipt required.
    [/FONT]

What a crock, first time I've seen that page. So... if a Saiga is no longer regulated in MD (because it's now banned), do I still have to register it? They specify only regulated firearms need to be "voluntarily" registered. :cool:

To the OP, burden of proof is on the state to show you DIDN'T purchase it prior to Oct of 2013. My .02 is not to sweat it, it'll likely never cause you an issue unless you shoot someone with it, and in that case you have bigger issues to worry about!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The link is for NEW RESIDENTS --Only if you move into MD and intend to establish residency. You have 90 days to do this. If you are a resident and owned before 10-1-you're ok

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

IANAL.

Agreed. Don't bend over backwards to comply with retarded unconstitutional laws. Why register shit?

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    "Dear Diary,

today I totally bough a sweet saiga with serial #xxxxxx, lawfully at a gun shop in new york. this is the best september 2012 ever.

till next time,
    me"

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    yea you dont have to say hey i just moved into MD and i brought an AK with me.

Uuh, if you become a resident here, which is anyone except active duty military moving here on orders, you DO have register regulated/banned firearms within 90 days.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Agreed. Don't bend over backwards to comply with retarded unconstitutional laws. Why register shit?

Maybe because if you fail to do so and get caught, they could confiscate all your firearms. And depending on charges and outcome of the trial, you cold lose your right to own firearms for the rest of your life.

Your choice.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If push came to shove, and you got questioned, the State would have the burden of proof that you purchased it on or after Oct 1, 2013. But meantime they would probably confiscate it, and make your live hell (legal fees, etc).

Better to see if you can get a copy of the receipt.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yes! Let's all be good peasants.

Some of us don't have the luxury of leaving. It's easy for some who won't lose their right to own a firearm to stand on the outside and encourage people to not follow the law. I'm not giving up my rights to own a firearm to make a statement..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom