So DC gets constitutional carry, but not Md ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So if I was a Criminal in D.C. I would just start doing my crimes in Criminal friendly May Issue Maryland. "Ripe for the Pickin" comes to mind.

Oh yeah!

Maryland's new Motto.

Bring us your well Armed criminals, your degenerates and those that wish to prey on our citizens.
    One of the things that was mentioned in the book "Guns, Crime and Freedom" was that when incarcerated criminals were interviewed about their biggest fear when committing crimes, particularly when breaking into a home, it was the fear of being shot by an armed homeowner. (Or something to that effect - it's been a while since I read the book.)

Bringing that forward, if DC criminals are all of a sudden somewhat fearful of being shot by an armed DC citizen, it actually makes sense for them to go a few miles to the north, crossing into MD where the gun laws for the law abiding are much more strict, and bordering counties may way see an uptick in crime rates if people in DC are allowed to carry.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Someone pointed out if DC appeals, it goes to the DC Circuit, which has already established a precedent in Heller. They have to abide by that precedent. DC has some very tough decisions to make.

IANAL

DC has no choice but to appeal! They need a stay to keep the law-abiding guns off the street, otherwise the antis have no arguments left.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Nah. You guys will get it just before us here in NJ.

You never know. Last year would you have believed that people would be legally carrying in Chicago?

The more restrictive the gun laws, the more vulnerable they are to attack.

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    who will first post a photo of themselves OCing their side arm infront of the Washington Monument?

Whoever does this should pose with their attorney, and have a video camera running, because I'm pretty sure the first MPD officers on the scene, after the mass DC resident hysteria & calls to 911, are unlikely to know the law.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Open carry in DC

:innocent0

So who is going to be the first person to open carry in the district ? This will be interesting, to say the least. Might want to wear a vest...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My take...

DC still does not allow carry, DC may still appeal and still may ask for a stay. Until DC formally comments on this I would not take it to mean that they have been notified, nor the information to have trickled down.

DC still does not recognize carry permits from other jurisdictions.

DC is in a tight spot at this time, they cannot go "may issue" like Maryland, read the opinion, the judge affirmed the right fundamental according to precedent and said it was subject to due process provisions.

If you go back and re-read every petition with regards to may issue, you will note this is exactly what we wanted to attain, the ruling spells out exactly that any new law written, would have to meet the guidance the judge gave. The judge also left hints as to training etc.

If DC tries to go dumb, it will kill them outright and they stand absolutely no chance.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I hereby nominate Adam Kokesh.

Go get 'em big boy !!

:D

I bet that ruling has some interesting implications for Adam Kokesh's police home invasion based on the fact that DC's ban on carrying was found unconstitutional.

MrNiceGuy

Dec 9, 2013
    DC is in a tight spot at this time, they cannot go "may issue" like Maryland, read the opinion, the judge affirmed the right fundamental according to precedent and said it was subject to due process provisions.

Sure they can; effectively anyway. They'll tap dance right on the edge of the order, taking every inch of ambiguity or "misunderstanding" possible and they'll drag it out in court for another five years. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I think the ruling is fantastic, but think about the implications of this ruling: the government of the nation's capital has been violating the highest law in the land for decades.

If they're fine with violating the highest law in the land for decades, what on Earth would prevent them from violating the spirit of this one ruling? They're going to ask for stays, appeals, implement clearly unlawful licensing schemes or restrictions, etc. In the end, I still think we'll win. In fact, I think 20 years from now we'll have constitutional carry in just about every state and we'll be knocking on the door of the NFA. But make no mistake, DC is going to use every trick in every law book they can find to drag this out as long as they possibly can and along the way they're going to attack the "problem" of armed citizens in ways you'd never expect (e.g. making it illegal to possess spent shell casings).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    so has dcpd issued any kind of statement on this? can folks legally open carry now, or is there some process that needs to follow the court's finding?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    so has dcpd issued any kind of statement on this? can folks legally open carry now, or is there some process that needs to follow the court's finding?

Nothing issued yet, look for two things in the next 48 - 72 hours, a request for a stay, and a notification of intent to appeal.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sure they can; effectively anyway. They'll tap dance right on the edge of the order, taking every inch of ambiguity or "misunderstanding" possible and they'll drag it out in court for another five years. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade and I think the ruling is fantastic, but think about the implications of this ruling: the government of the nation's capital has been violating the highest law in the land for decades.

If they're fine with violating the highest law in the land for decades, what on Earth would prevent them from violating the spirit of this one ruling? They're going to ask for stays, appeals, implement clearly unlawful licensing schemes or restrictions, etc. In the end, I still think we'll win. In fact, I think 20 years from now we'll have constitutional carry in just about every state and we'll be knocking on the door of the NFA. But make no mistake, DC is going to use every trick in every law book they can find to drag this out as long as they possibly can and along the way they're going to attack the "problem" of armed citizens in ways you'd never expect (e.g. making it illegal to possess spent shell casings).

They can certainly try, but they will get slapped down almost as quickly and severely as Chicago did when they tried to play games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom