• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D.Dasher

Mar 14, 2012
    Hello all,please forgive me if this has been answered before,I am not very good at loopholes and confusion of the new Md. laws.

Is the Zastava M76 leagel to buy new in Maryland,I see that Duffys has the Zastava M77 for sale,also a AK type design,any minor differences that disqualify the M76?

Thanks for you time and help,Dee..

Feb 28, 2013
    Interchangeable parts are what makes a copy. That's the thing to remember.

Can't tell ya anything about the M76 though.

sygata

Feb 13, 2012
    Interchangeable parts are what makes a copy. That's the thing to remember.

Can't tell ya anything about the M76 though.

Well, M-70 is definitely an AK, and I believe M-76 buttstock , lower hand-guard, gas tube cover, FCG and trigger guard will interchange with M-70. Not sure if it is enough to disqualify it, though.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Your best bet is to go to a local gun store (LGS for short) and ask if they'd be willing to order and transfer it to you. If they won't, then it's not legal. Try 3 or 4, because some may just say 'nope' as a standard response. Try some of the Industry Partners on the forums here for honest opinions. Ask about transfer fees.

Feb 28, 2013
    Well, M-70 is definitely an AK, and I believe M-76 buttstock , lower hand-guard, gas tube cover, FCG and trigger guard will interchange with M-70. Not sure if it is enough to disqualify it, though.

If the FCG will interchange I'd say it's a no-go.

But SD has a good suggestion in asking a few of our IP's for their take. I would do that myself if I weren't sure.:)

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    The M76 is good to go. The entire receiver is elongated, and the internal parts are not completely interchangeable with any variety of Avtomat Kalashnikov, Dragunov, or NDM-86, so it would not be considered a copy of any of the enumerated banned weapons. It does not fit the description of a copycat weapon either. Therefore, it is legal.

A word of caution though, when buying a M76- make sure you know EXACTLY what you are purchasing and who built it. When I have more time, I'll try to elaborate on the history of these rifles in the US. In short, the early ones that were built by Zastava and imported are excellent rifles. Less than 300 were imported prior to 1989, and they command top dollar- I think around $4k or so. Another group was imported between '89-'94, less than 100 rifles total, and they were slightly neutered. Another 200 or so came in post '94 ban. Mitchell's imported most, if not all, of these.

Outside of those 600 or so Serbian built M76 rifles, the rest are built domestically from parts kits. Ohio Rapid Fire manufactured new receivers and built rifles until the owner died about 5 years ago. His name was Todd Grove, and he was in his early 30s when he died. Some of guns worked well, others were problematic, and there is plenty of reading available online-some positive,some negative- for those interested in doing some research . Afterwards, Century bought up the rest of his stock and finished the guns. We have had to repair a number of these. Century received a pile of stock in various states of completion and went about building them into century quality guns. There are definitely some out of spec receivers. One dead giveaway on a Century gun is the half-assed lightening cuts which they barely milled into the receiver. There's a lot more info, but suffice it to say that if one is considering a M-76, make sure you inspect the actual gun you are buying in person. If possible, make sure it shoots and functions properly. If you get a great deal on one online, just be prepared- you may have to spend a lot of money on the back end to have a gunsmith set it right.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    The M76 is good to go. The entire receiver is elongated, and the internal parts are not completely interchangeable with any variety of Avtomat Kalashnikov, Dragunov, or NDM-86, so it would not be considered a copy of any of the enumerated banned weapons. It does not fit the description of a copycat weapon either. Therefore, it is legal.

A word of caution though, when buying a M76- make sure you know EXACTLY what you are purchasing and who built it. When I have more time, I'll try to elaborate on the history of these rifles in the US. In short, the early ones that were built by Zastava and imported are excellent rifles. Less than 300 were imported prior to 1989, and they command top dollar- I think around $4k or so. Another group was imported between '89-'94, less than 100 rifles total, and they were slightly neutered. Another 200 or so came in post '94 ban. Mitchell's imported most, if not all, of these.

Outside of those 600 or so Serbian built M76 rifles, the rest are built domestically from parts kits. Ohio Rapid Fire manufactured new receivers and built rifles until the owner died about 5 years ago. His name was Todd Grove, and he was in his early 30s when he died. Some of guns worked well, others were problematic, and there is plenty of reading available online-some positive,some negative- for those interested in doing some research . Afterwards, Century bought up the rest of his stock and finished the guns. We have had to repair a number of these. Century received a pile of stock in various states of completion and went about building them into century quality guns. There are definitely some out of spec receivers. One dead giveaway on a Century gun is the half-assed lightening cuts which they barely milled into the receiver. There's a lot more info, but suffice it to say that if one is considering a M-76, make sure you inspect the actual gun you are buying in person. If possible, make sure it shoots and functions properly. If you get a great deal on one online, just be prepared- you may have to spend a lot of money on the back end to have a gunsmith set it right.
    Welcome Back.
    It has been a long time coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom