• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

I am looking to install a home security system. Nothing extravagent - contact sensors for doors/windows and maybe some backup glass breaks. am looking at going wireless since the effort to run the wires to all doors and windows seems to be huge.

I live in Bel Air (21015). I will be making some calls today to try and setup appointments so if you are interested, please PM me sooner than later.

Thanks.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Get the X-10 system and DIY.. It's super easy. I have had mine and done installs on the side for 5 years now. I would offer to help you do the install but I'm about to move so time is an issue for me now. It's easy enough to install it yourself, though. The door/window sensors are also shock sensitive. They have remote control key fobs to arm/disarm. It's very inexpensive for a wireless system. Best of all, The system calls YOU in an alarm state.. No monitoring fees.. Check it out..

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Get the X-10 system and DIY.. It's super easy. I have had mine and done installs on the side for 5 years now. I would offer to help you do the install but I'm about to move so time is an issue for me now. It's easy enough to install it yourself, though. The door/window sensors are also shock sensitive. They have remote control key fobs to arm/disarm. It's very inexpensive for a wireless system. Best of all, The system calls YOU in an alarm state.. No monitoring fees.. Check it out..

Interesting thought - will look into it. How many false positives can I expect monthly when using X10?

Any recommend websites to use for purchasing their equipment?

Thanks.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    man... i was just about to post and ask...

i've beend oing alot of research on home security systems...

VIVINT
    FRONT
    ADT
    etc....

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Interesting thought - will look into it. How many false positives can I expect monthly when using X10?

Any recommend websites to use for purchasing their equipment?

Thanks.

I've NEVER had a false alarm from this system.. Here you go... The X-10 SecurLink system is the newest model...

http://www.x10.com/promotions/sc1200_99_home_security_system_v2.html?TWENTY11

ETA: I have a door window sensor on a shed that is over 100' from the base and it works perfectly.. A good way to add a alarm to an outbuilding. The batteries last over a year too...

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    I should note I wouldn't recommend the above system for anyone that doesn't have some DIY programming/electronics experience. the x10 model is probably much more beginner friendly

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    http://www.aesecurity.com/

These guys are great to deal with. I've been a customer for about 8 years. No "contracts" BS, no high pressure sales tactics, etc. Do some research to see if a DIY install is for you. Many systems make a DIY job fairly easy. If you opt for monitoring they have a great referral too.

You can get a very high quality alarm for an excellent price. :thumbsup:

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I have ADT. They're ok. Not really impressed to be honest. I just had my front door replaced and they wanted $149 to re-install my front door sensor. And that's for the first 30 minutes. After that, it's $39 every 15 minutes. I think alarms are over-rated. I never had one growing up or living in GA.

samuraiRS

Apr 14, 2008
    I'm in the same boat as well. Simplisafe looks intriguing. Question to anyone that has one installed. They recommend a motion sensor for areas with 3 or more windows instead of individual sensors for each window. Our kitchen/sunroom has a bunch of windows/sliding glass door so I am thinking motion sensor for that area, but what if I have it armed at night and I go down to the kitchen to get a glass of water? Do I have to unarm it before going through a motion sensored area and does it immediately go into siren mode?

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I have the system. There are two "armed" security settings. Away and Home. You can program individual sensors to be active in either or both settings. Most folks have the "Home" setting configured so that motion sensors are not active. The siren has a delay that you can set, ie. when you open the door to enter the house you have an adjustable delay to disarm the system before the alarm sounds. If you want, I can mess with it a bit tomorrow to see if the motion sensor alert is immediate or if there is a delay to disarm like the door sensors. The (not so) short answer to your last question I believe would be that if you walk through the motion sensor area it is going to sound the alarm, that is what it is supposed to do.

Well said. You can opt for backups like glass break sensors and such to cover the areas already covered by contacts etc when you have the motion detectors off in "stay" mode. When nobody's home, just have the whole shebang on in "away" mode. There is a lot of cool stuff out there but for me I think what's important is to find a company/person in the biz you trust and ask a lot of questions. We did do a service contract and I know a lot of people don't care for that (which is totally cool), but I'm not tech savy to do my own set up etc, and I don't mind a monthly fee for some peace of mind... Especially when I'm not home. I have a wife and two kids and they are what's most important to me. Having had a home broken into years ago (pre-children) I'm a bit bias I suppose.

What's just as important IMHO is to make sure to check the locks on all windows, doors, cars, and even check the stove and burners at night. I do this religiously and I'm also preaching to my wife to never leave the garage door open during the day too. Things are tough out there for many people and some people are just plain bad all the way thru. I want them to have as little a chance to do harm to me or my family as I possibly can and I prepare accordingly, but the fact is if they want to try they're going to try. Sad but true.

Good luck to the OP in his choice either way. I have a guy (famous words I know). Let me know if I can help in any way.

Ryan

samuraiRS

Apr 14, 2008
    Whoops. Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack. Didn't realize this was posted in the jobs board. Do appreciate the responses though. Good luck op.

TimGB

Jul 10, 2011
    If you are considering the DIY version, you can definitely save a lot of money. With the wireless systems, all you need to do is hook up the central panel which needs power and phone (or you can go cellular). I bought my system from safemart.com and get monitoring thru occusafe.com for $108/year. My system is Simon 3 but I think the current system is Simon XT, really easy to install.

buffalodan

Feb 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    What's just as important IMHO is to make sure to check the locks on all windows, doors, cars, and even check the stove and burners at night. I do this religiously and I'm also preaching to my wife to never leave the garage door open during the day too.

This is true, another important thing to remember is most often they are going to go to the easiest target. If you keep your doors closed and locked, leave an outside light on at night (or a motion detection light) there is a good chance they will move on to another house. Not a guarantee but still betters your odds and it's very simple to do.

Moneymaker

Mar 7, 2012
    College Park, MD
    I have mostly wireless system installed by a local company called CRIMPCO. Have not had any problems and they are very clean when they install everything. Monitoring fees are about $30 a month. Hope that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom