• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buck

I know.. I know..

I have a friend who is insisting that he wants to buy a .32 ACP to keep in his nightstand drawer for home defense. He has a litany of reasons, most of which I disagree with. However, he has come to me to help him make his maker/model choice and to show him around the ranges here in MD.

His mind is made up so I'm not looking to debate calibers here. My problem is I don't have any time shooting and know nothing of .32ACP other than a few Google'fu searches. Does anyone within the MD Shooter world own or have time shooting several models in this caliber and can provide a recommendation on make/model?

The ranges I can handle. I'm happy he is making the decision to arm himself and taking steps to protect his family. Something is better than nothing. My hope is when we take his new handgun out to the range I'll bring a few other handguns in larger calibers too and maybe he'll add to his collection with a second or third purchase in a caliber better suited for home defense.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've got one but it's a older C&R purchase, it a good shooter. I'm sure some manufactuers still make them, but I haven't seen a new gun in 32 ACP in a shop up this way in a very long time.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Do not use non US ammo in the CZ50 and 70's. They only like euro made stuff.

Snobs!

OP, I know you said no ammo debates, but did you try to get him to look at 380? More choice, both in terms of firearms and ammo.

Barring that, maybe you can find something like this:

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    The Kel Tec p32 and the Beretta Tomcat 3032 come to mind. I haven't shot either of them, but have shot their larger .380 ACP cousins. The Tomcat has a lot more grip to hang onto than the Kel Tec.

I kinda want the Beretta, just to add to my collection of Berettas.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Walther PP and PPK are nice. Colt 1903, Remington 51, FN(Browning) 1910, all are reliable, well made, pleasant to shoot.

For that matter, 32 S&W Long in a revolver is also sweet.

It's probably easier to dump a magazine full of 32 ACP into a target than 380, which has much more recoil in pistols that are made light for easy carry.

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Colt 1903 - One of Boggies favorites as he had small hands and they looked like 45acp's.

humphrey+bogart.jpg

BOGART1.jpg

Dillinger liked them too.
    images

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I honestly would not waste any time on him. If he's unable to understand that a .32 is absolutely useless for a HD firearm, but is dead-set on it simply because it "sounds cool", or "some guy told him it was great", or "it's what James Bond used", or his "uncle's father used one once", then he isn't serious about home defense, period.

If he ALREADY HAD a .32, and couldn't afford anything else right now, sure - it might be worth spending some time with him, to help him out.

If he just WANTED a .32 because it seemed like a fun caliber to shoot, or he wanted a particular gun to add to his collection, same thing.

But since he's BUYING a handgun specifically for home defense and INSISTS he needs a .32, that tells me he has poor judgement, no desire to learn, and an inability to take sound advice from anyone.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I would be interested to hear why he's so dead set on .32.

Half-cocked is right, though. This guy's mind-set is all wrong. He's treating this like a child's fantasy game.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The "problem" is that (at least in the US ) all of the currently mfg/ imported .32acps are subcompacts. What your friend needs is a "full sizel .32 an what in the first half of 20th century were known as "Pocket Pistols". There are still a few Walther PPs , and CZ 50/70 in the distribution pipeline. My personal favorite is a FEG P32 - very accurate , and extremely controlable in rapid fire.
    There are lots of older quality .32s , you just have to search them out.

For ammo , the first consideration is reliability.. If the gun's preference is fmj, then select based on accuraccy. If it feeds WW Silvertips have been used enough in real life to establish a suprisingly good track record. In testing , the Gold Dot apears to be at least as good. Don't overlook the Old Days practice of having a high performance load in the chamber , and fmj in the mag. (For the youngsters , that is because feeding is non issue when you carefully hand chamber at your leasure.)

As to the underling question of using a .32acp for defense at all .... No , I won't recomend a .32acp as first choice. But with comparable bullet type (fmj v fmj , jhp v jhp) it is very close to .380 in effectiveness, with better controlability, often better accuraccy , and more penetration w/ fmjs for those who want that. I feel that .32acp is greatly underrated , to similar extent that the .380acp is overratted.

Of course ablebodied people should have a primary gun larger than either.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    Cz-83 in .32 acp would be about the best I can think of.
    15 rounds I think. And should be a real comfortable shooter.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    North American Arms still makes. 32's check here...

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/380guard.html

We have a used NAA 32 ACP in stock. My girlfriend wanted to shoot it so we took it out. She said he didn't like it as much as shooting my kel tec P3AT 380 (much lighter). The NAA has some weird grip angles going on, and it hits your hand different when shooting and is still pretty snappy. I was really surprised honestly. I think the P3AT platform is better than the NAA in those calibers. They're lighter weight and less felt recoil and muzzle flip (at least perceived).

Sirex