• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If your clearance is active, SAIC is big on recruiting prior military. Lockheed and Northrop Grumman, too.

Jim
    Here is my disconnect. I have zero I T experience, etc... What is NG or SAIC gonna do with a non college degree, 16 year law enforcement with the last 9 in Fed LE with TS, bull-in-a-chinashop guy like me? :)

something like this, I believe requires knowing someone on the inside since all vacany announcements I ever see require a degree and would never make it through the HR barbarians at the gate.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Here is my disconnect. I have zero I T experience, etc... What is NG or SAIC gonna do with a non college degree, 16 year law enforcement with the last 9 in Fed LE with TS, bull-in-a-chinashop guy like me? :)

something like this, I believe requires knowing someone on the inside since all vacany announcements I ever see require a degree and would never make it through the HR barbarians at the gate.

They send you to class. Make sure you point out that you have the clearance. Look for entry level stuff. Once you get in work your way up. I don't have a high level clearance but I'm making 6 figures now with no degree after 10 years in IT.

Jim

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD

Funny. I'm just the opposite-Degree, 10 years in IT but no clearance. About 5 years back I applied for a temp job just to get a clearance and we started the "interim clearance" process and I filled out the application, got fingerprinted, the whole 9 yards. 6 weeks or so later, she calls me to tell me that I failed the interim clearance but they don't have to give a reason because they continue the secret clearance process. We couldn't figure out what it might be because I have no criminal record, financial problems, etc. I suspected it was because I have family overseas, but was is just a theory.

Anyway, so about 4 or 5 months after this I never heard anything back so I send an email to her again. Email bounces back and she no longer works there. After several email exchanges with her replacement, it looks like my application was either never filed or somehow got lost or something. She could find no record of me whatsoever. So now I have no idea if I really did fail the interim clearance or if she never turned in my application.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    Funny. I'm just the opposite-Degree, 10 years in IT but no clearance. About 5 years back I applied for a temp job just to get a clearance and we started the "interim clearance" process and I filled out the application, got fingerprinted, the whole 9 yards. 6 weeks or so later, she calls me to tell me that I failed the interim clearance but they don't have to give a reason because they continue the secret clearance process. We couldn't figure out what it might be because I have no criminal record, financial problems, etc. I suspected it was because I have family overseas, but was is just a theory.

Anyway, so about 4 or 5 months after this I never heard anything back so I send an email to her again. Email bounces back and she no longer works there. After several email exchanges with her replacement, it looks like my application was either never filed or somehow got lost or something. She could find no record of me whatsoever. So now I have no idea if I really did fail the interim clearance or if she never turned in my application.

Blood relatives or Spouse who are foreign nationals can impede a clearance.

If there was an actual government security background investigation conducted on you by OMB/DIS or other agency, there is a process to request the results of the investigation under the Freedom of Information Act. You'll need to know the specific agancy that conducted it, dates and names of investigators, then send a notarized request.

They will redact all information that isn't releasable to you such as names of folks contacted/interviewed, but not the statements made.

nuShooter

Nov 26, 2008
    Howard County
    Do you hold any foreign passports, and are both of your parents at the very least naturalized American? This was a concern for me as well, but I was able renounce my other (non-birth) citizenship for my TS/SCI.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Blood relatives or Spouse who are foreign nationals can impede a clearance.

If there was an actual government security background investigation conducted on you by OMB/DIS or other agency, there is a process to request the results of the investigation under the Freedom of Information Act. You'll need to know the specific agancy that conducted it, dates and names of investigators, then send a notarized request.

They will redact all information that isn't releasable to you such as names of folks contacted/interviewed, but not the statements made.

Yeah, wish I could get that information. I have no idea who investigated it, if anybody. I have a feeling it was never sent through. I think I would've heard something at some point after all this time.

Do you hold any foreign passports, and are both of your parents at the very least naturalized American? This was a concern for me as well, but I was able renounce my other (non-birth) citizenship for my TS/SCI.

I do not hold any foreign passports and both of my parents are citizens, however my father was born outside of the US and I have many blood relatives outside of US soil. Can't hurt to try again. Hopefully I can find someone to hire/sponsor me to do it in the future.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    Join the Military as an Intel type and you will get a TS/SCI at the very least.

The military Clearences are not the same as the intelegence agencies. They may HELP you get one but the investigation will need to be redone. Most well paying jobs require Poly/Lifestyle and that is NOT what the mil does. The easiest way is to become a LEO at NSA/CIA/SS/ect.

The clearence is only worth who and how the investigation was conducted. Last time I checked it was around 28-36 month backlog on awarding clearences. It has prob gone down since then.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    The military Clearences are not the same as the intelegence agencies. They may HELP you get one but the investigation will need to be redone. Most well paying jobs require Poly/Lifestyle and that is NOT what the mil does. The easiest way is to become a LEO at NSA/CIA/SS/ect.

The clearence is only worth who and how the investigation was conducted. Last time I checked it was around 28-36 month backlog on awarding clearences. It has prob gone down since then.

There is so much misinformation here I don't even know where to start.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    Really? I have numerious family and friends who work for certain 3 letter agencies around the Balt/DC/VA area who conveyed this.

A TS you get in the Military is not the same as one you get if you are going through DIA/CIA/NSA/SS.

My Secret clearence took 2 days to be awarded from when it was intiated. I have the paperwork. There was no questioning or anything. All they did was a national database search and when I came clean, They awarded it. A Secret doesnt mean shit. You need that to work in half of the non secure DOD facilties. I have coworkers who have submitted their SECRET paperwork over 6 months ago and still have not been awarded yet. I dont think there is the same vetting process for Military & DOD Civ's.

Recruiter for CIA also gave me the same information when i was still on college.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    All of the non-DoD Intel agencies have separate clearances. But a DoD SCI can have a Poly with it, too. Most of the jobs requiring the SCI are of DoD, not CIA, NSA, FBI, or any of the other civilian agencies.

Jim

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    All of the non-DoD Intel agencies have separate clearances. But a DoD SCI can have a Poly with it, too. Most of the jobs requiring the SCI are of DoD, not CIA, NSA, FBI, or any of the other civilian agencies.

Jim

Thanks for the clarification Jim. I was trying to say that if you had a TS from being a S2 dude in the military, your clearence would not always transfer to other agencies who have different methods and standards for their clearances.

On a side note, one of my buddies in my old unit was S2 (intel analyst or something). He had a TS/SCI from another agency before he joined and the basically streamlined him into the job beacuse he already had an active clearence. Not sure if that is a 1 way street or he was blowing smoke up my ass.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the clarification Jim. I was trying to say that if you had a TS from being a S2 dude in the military, your clearence would not always transfer to other agencies who have different methods and standards for their clearances.

On a side note, one of my buddies in my old unit was S2 (intel analyst or something). He had a TS/SCI from another agency before he joined and the basically streamlined him into the job beacuse he already had an active clearence. Not sure if that is a 1 way street or he was blowing smoke up my ass.

CIA to DoD = Easy
    DoD to CIA = Restart

Jim

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Definitely a difference between a DOD clearance(military, en es ay,etc..) and an OPM (office of personnel mgmnt )- your federal govt TS clearance; USSS, FBI, FAMS etc... I think DOE has their own clearance category as well?? For example if someone with an OPM TS, gets hired on at en es ay :) the big glass building on Ft. meade isn't just gonna say " you already have a TS so we don't need to do one" probably won't ring true. They will do their own investigations.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO

9 times out of 10, the degree is waiver-able. Experience trumps degree, they want knowledge with mileage.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    Each of the intel agencies have their own adjudication element and each of the services (Army, Navy, AF) have theirs as well. There is an executive order which states that each organization recognize and accept each others but in reality, each organization feels "they're special" and someone else's adjudication is not adequate. It can be frustrating but your dealing with the unique cultures of each organization. If you think you can get a secret clearance (no local/state/federal record, clean finances) apply for a security guard position with CSC or Vance. They have positions which require clearances and will at least get your foot in the door even if the pay sucks ($13.50 with a secret-$20 with a TS, an hour):o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom