• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    He wants a handgun and has only purchased a shotgun before so he will need the training. Are there any IPs that offer a one stop shop type program for getting the HQL? Thanks

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I hate to endorse any business, but the closest one to the 'dena is Worth-a-shot over in Millersville. I haven't taken a class there, but they advertise you will walk out waiting for mail from MDSP.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I hate to endorse any business, but the closest one to the 'dena is Worth-a-shot over in Millersville. I haven't taken a class there, but they advertise you will walk out waiting for mail from MDSP.

They are acceptable. Earlier reports were that they were not 100% accurate on the MD law section, but its really hard to be so. Reasonable package deal.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    They are acceptable. Earlier reports were that they were not 100% accurate on the MD law section, but its really hard to be so. Reasonable package deal.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. My only business with them was getting a few ink cards, but noticed they offered training. I wish I could say my experience was pleasant, but I was met with attitude and "superior knowledge" at the door. The guy rolling my fingers was super nice!

stank

Lifes Good
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pasadena
    Thanks for the info, he has chosen the Texas hunters safety coarse route and will soon be making his first handgun purchase. I strongly suggested him to buy one even just a .22 prior to the new laws but he ignored me.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Have him but a stripped lower. Then enter the serial # as an already owned regulated firearm.

No need to take the class and a cheap lower is about the same as a class costs. It's like paying for the training and getting the lower for free.:thumbsup:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Either the TX online Hunter Ed course or lower receiver route are likely the easiest. I've posted extensively about either before and would be happy to help in any way I can.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Is the TX hunter course valid for the training requirement to hunt in MD? If not, I also suggest the MD hunter course. It qualifies for the HQL training and allows him to hunt should he ever want to do that.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I hate to burst bubbles here, but I'm pretty sure only a MD Hunter Safety Course will meet the requirement. I know for a fact they do not accept PA Hunter Safety. I believe it is the live fire "range day" portion of the MD course that meets the requirements of safe firearm handling etc etc. Now if you are just looking to purchase a hunting license, that is a different story.

However, others here may know more about this topic than I do.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Is the TX hunter course valid for the training requirement to hunt in MD? If not, I also suggest the MD hunter course. It qualifies for the HQL training and allows him to hunt should he ever want to do that.

Yes, all 48 contiguous states recognize each others hunter education.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I hate to burst bubbles here, but I'm pretty sure only a MD Hunter Safety Course will meet the requirement. I know for a fact they do not accept PA Hunter Safety. I believe it is the live fire "range day" portion of the MD course that meets the requirements of safe firearm handling etc etc. Now if you are just looking to purchase a hunting license, that is a different story.

However, others here may know more about this topic than I do.

How do you know for a fact?

If you have some number associated to your hunter education certificate, it is acceptable.

Some of the older pre-computerization hunter-ed credentials had problems because they weren't standardized. That is the main reason the PA Game commission pulled the hunter education back to their people teaching the curriculum.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    How do you know for a fact?

If you have some number associated to your hunter education certificate, it is acceptable.

Some of the older pre-computerization hunter-ed credentials had problems because they weren't standardized. That is the main reason the PA Game commission pulled the hunter education back to their people teaching the curriculum.

:lol:Never said I knew for a fact they won't accept Texas, I said I'm pretty sure.

When I moved here from PA, I was told by multiple people including MSP that my PA Hunter Safety would not qualify and I needed a live fire. Why would an online course meet it when my in person course didn't?

Maybe the easiest answer for OP is to call MDSP and ask. They are usually pretty helpful. I could have been lied to, but that is my understanding.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    :lol:Never said I knew for a fact they won't accept Texas, I said I'm pretty sure.

When I moved here from PA, I was told by multiple people including MSP that my PA Hunter Safety would not qualify and I needed a live fire. Why would an online course meet it when my in person course didn't?

Maybe the easiest answer for OP is to call MDSP and ask. They are usually pretty helpful.

Yes, yes you did say "knew for a fact", reread your previous posts ;)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Statute 5--117.1

If it's acceptable to MD DNR, the course is recognized. The TX on line hunter safety course is accepted by MD DNR ergo-legal to comply with the training requirement.

IANAL-Nate is

Attachments

• hql.jpg
      hql.jpg
      11.2 KB · Views: 294

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Yes, yes you did say "knew for a fact", reread your previous posts ;)

Yes, I know for a fact they do not accept PA Hunter Safety. Thus, I am pretty sure they do not accept Texas.

Your manhood just grew .5", congratulations.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    ... I was told by multiple people including MSP that my PA Hunter Safety ...

Well this the problem right here! What the MSP gives you for information is so hit and miss that really they are totally unreliable if you absolutely need a correct answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom