• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    There won't be any deals and the pistols will be mixed and beat up. This sounds great but I can't see anyone getting a wonderful piece of history out of this.

yurp... agree, anything good will go to auction.
    Have to wait and see, but I'm not selling off my furniture to put aside $$ for these just yet...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    yurp... agree, anything good will go to auction.

And sell for an insane amount due to auction frenzy.

Hopefully there will be enough that they judge to be lower non-auction quality.

I missed the last Kimber target rifle at CMP by less than a week.

People were reselling the Kimbers on Gunbroker at a profit while CMP still had them in stock.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Well, the first time I tried firing a Navy issue, WWII vintage 1911 for record, in 1984, I had 3 stovepipes in 30 rounds.
    At the time, were you a new pistol shooter? The two prime causes of stovepipes is limp-wristing and a bad extractor. I can see a USGI pistol not having it's extractor replaced since WWII.

The LAV has written a few articles about this. He initially began gunsmithing the 1911 because of problems encountered on the old USGI 1911s he was being issued. Many had never had a part replaced in 40 years of service.

This is a maintenance issue, not a 1911 issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    It will be interesting to see if CMP will ship directly to a C&R in Maryland.

They have pretty good lawyers and are pro 2A so I think if they can, they will. No MD law so far would prevent this.

But I too saw where it said MAY so it ain't gonna happen while O'Bozo is still there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    But I too saw where it said MAY so it ain't gonna happen while O'Bozo is still there.

It's possible, but the Army doesn't want to keep these warehoused indefinitely, so it may happen even if the White House would somewhat prefer it didn't. (After all, if it weren't for this issue, it's likely BHO would never have even heard of CMP.). Hopefully, as long as it doesn't create much press, it won't be that big an issue. And it helps a little with the balance sheet.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    The military is weird. They'll have everything from bare frames that have been in a fire, to million round guns that have been rebuilt several times, to pristine, untouched pistols.

It'll be interesting to see what 90,000 new pistols on the market will do to current pricing. Probably not much change because sales will be spaced out over a decade and the interest in 1911s is enormous and cuts across many subcategories of gun nut.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    At the time, were you a new pistol shooter? The two prime causes of stovepipes is limp-wristing and a bad extractor. I can see a USGI pistol not having it's extractor replaced since WWII.

The LAV has written a few articles about this. He initially began gunsmithing the 1911 because of problems encountered on the old USGI 1911s he was being issued. Many had never had a part replaced in 40 years of service.

This is a maintenance issue, not a 1911 issue.

I had been shooting a 9mm for 8 years. This admittedly was my first experience with a 1911.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Navy pistol? Wouldn't suprise me. Up until about the 70s the Navy still had lots of pistols to repel boarders.

Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I received an email from CMP @4pm today with the following?

"The NDAA 2016 has passed. We have no further information concerning the status of the 1911s. We will update our customers as we know more. Please do not email or call with questions regarding the 1911s. Our systems are overloaded.

If you would like to sign up for our Sales Email Updates, please visit our website and SIGN UP!

For eligibility requirements for ordering through the CMP, please visit our website.

Thank you, Mark Johnson, Chief Operating Officer"

Get ready boys. Save up

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    My navy vet cousins who went thru basic in the 70's all say they had training with 1911's

When I went to shoot for qual in 84, I had the choice of 1911, S&W Model 10 (might have actually been old Victory models) or the Ruger Security 6 (The Navy had bought then in the early 80s to fill a handgun shortage -- they were also the standard NIS {NCIS predecessor} issue at the time). By 89, almost all had been replaced with M9s (except NIS, who were carrying SIGs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom