• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stsltd

Feb 1, 2006
    Our whole household has converted in name only - 4 more voters to affect change and provide some accountability...

Dec 31, 2012
    I like this, can I plagarize? If he does this the media will be asking him why- its going to get a shot of publicity.

Keep in mind we and many others in the past have made this switch not to support a particular candidate but to try to remove a seated member. We will hopefully turn over a seat enough times in the primary that the message finally gets through. This is a long haul but a worthy one.

While I commend Delegate Dwyer for his pro 2A help do not let him think to use this as his personal path to glory. Be in it for the right reasons and with reasonable expectations of the time frame and outcomes. If we turn over a seat enough times then we will eventually get a candidate that listens instead of panders. I will not care what letter is next to that candidate's name if he/she truly represents the electorate.

Tread lightly Delegate Dwyer there are potential pitfalls.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Dino'd last week. Still a bit queasy but have locked the voter registration card in the safe so I don't have to look at it. Get the wife and friends signed up this week.

Lbaucom

Jul 22, 2010
    Severn, MD
    already done that.

My comments/thoughts differ though for someone who is elected vs unelected.

First of all, looking at the 2010 results you handily won by 10,000 votes.

For a senator/delegate that is already elected, I am not sure its such a good strategy. The democratic "machine" may work against you in the primaries, which means you have to effectively run two campaigns (especially if you lose the primary, in which case we are all double screwed).

I would actually encourage people in your district not to go DINO in the Delegate space (not sure who the senator is offhand) because that makes the general election more competitive in 2014.

I personally think a better strategy is perhaps to make sure nearby D cronies get the boot, making the climate all around better - particularly D senators. I live in Howard County. next year I will have a good choice for a pro-2a democrat delegate, but the senator is a crony (no names) and i'd personally like to oust him - please recruit someone who can run and be competitive!

Given the 2010 election results, I would personally not risk a party change that would fire up the D machine- rather I would look to capitalize on it and help give more cronies the boot in higher office.

Now as for the overall DINO strategy, I think that the pushback is that this may discourage a good crop of R to enter the races. I actually think the opposite. Getting the tax-raising gun-grabbing cronies out must be the #1 priority IMO. Once the cronies are out (and inertia is no longer an issue), then the races will be more competitive. But like I said the target should be limited to targeting the D in office who follow MoM like lemmings. For someone already in office I think its a highly risky strategy that could backfire badly - I would harness the inertia.

I raised that concern as well. For the Delegate, I think his support would not waver- he is largely elected by conservative dems in his district.

Sharpster

Jul 22, 2010
    York, PA
    Just switched, I'm a DINO now as of 60 seconds ago. As others have said, it does feel gross seeing that "D" next to my name. Bring on the primary's!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I raised that concern as well. For the Delegate, I think his support would not waver- he is largely elected by conservative dems in his district.

its not the voter support i would worry about. This is a threat to the Dems. I would expect them to stomp hard to punish and make an example of people, to keep it from happening again.

i think DINO only works as a guerilla movement among voters, not elected officials. Now, insofar as putting a "face" to this strategy to scare current D voting for this POS, thats interesting but as i said highly risky.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Damascus
    I made the DINO switch as well.

Just a tip for those that enter your email on the registration form. Create a new email account or use an alias email. That way you can easily block the D based emails.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Now, insofar as putting a "face" to this strategy to scare current D voting for this POS, thats interesting but as i said highly risky.

That was the point behind the creation of www.freestatedinos.com

I didn't come up with the DINO idea but I felt it really needed an easy to access resource where people can see what it is all about. There is a ton of info on MDS about it, but I cannot tell my uncle, who is basically computer illiterate, to go to www.mdshooters.com and do a search for "become a dino." He would have been doomed after he got to mdshooters.

I think if this works and enough of them get the boot, I would expect them to try and craft some BS law that would prevent becoming a DINO, in the same way that they are trying to make referendums harder (another great reason to vote these people out). I am not sure how they would do it, but I wouldn't put it past these people. Fortunately, the democrats in Maryland have long strived to make it as easy as possible to register to vote, so making it hard to register is something they may not want.

Dec 31, 2012
    That was the point behind the creation of www.freestatedinos.com

I didn't come up with the DINO idea but I felt it really needed an easy to access resource where people can see what it is all about. There is a ton of info on MDS about it, but I cannot tell my uncle, who is basically computer illiterate, to go to www.mdshooters.com and do a search for "become a dino." He would have been doomed after he got to mdshooters.

I think if this works and enough of them get the boot, I would expect them to try and craft some BS law that would prevent becoming a DINO, in the same way that they are trying to make referendums harder (another great reason to vote these people out). I am not sure how they would do it, but I wouldn't put it past these people. Fortunately, the democrats in Maryland have long strived to make it as easy as possible to register to vote, so making it hard to register is something they may not want.

Thank you for your efforts. :thumbsup: :)

Turning over the seat and showing them that lifetime power brokers cannot suppress us is the point. Regardless of party they should be here for us not the other way around.

The person who has no stake in the 2A argument(although they really do) is the one I've been thinking of lately. How do we get others on board for reasons other than the 2A? We need their numbers. As you point out sending them to mdshooters is not a real option. The DINO page is a very nice alternative but we still need face time. It starts with talking to your friends about how their vote is disenfranchised by being left out of the primary when we know where the races are decided in most cases. I have two people on the fence now with this argument. If I get them then I likely get their family as well. Leveraging the voter conversions will push us over the tipping point.
    It really does come down to face time networking.
    Do your part and bring along some more people and they may do the same.

patience, persistence, publicity

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    My representatives are pro 2a, not sure if being a DINO does me any good.

Now, this is an interesting case that someone brought up to me a few weeks ago. Initially, you would think that you would want to stay an R as there is no reason to become a DINO. But if you start really thinking about it, there are a few points that may make it worth it-

Point 1- Your legislators are already conservatives. The only thing that becoming a DINO changes is which primary you can vote it. You can still vote for the conservatives in the general election which will ensure your district representatives remain conservative. The danger in this is if there is a RINO trying to get on the ticket and has a chance of knocking off the good guy. Not sure how valid a threat that is in Maryland though. You also wont have a voice if there are any close GOP primaries (ie. Governor).

Point 2- As a DINO, you can vote for the democratic statewide primaries. A few of these people are untouchable IMO, like Mikulski, but it could possibly throw a wrench into the AG race, which Frosh might make a run for (yes, THAT Frosh. Just wait until you see him as AG, he won't have a committe to slow him down). Even at the local level, we could maybe get rid of thugs like Ike Leggett.

So, it's kind of a toss up. I say just pull the trigger and do it.

Dec 31, 2012

Point 2- As a DINO, you can vote for the democratic statewide primaries. A few of these people are untouchable IMO, like Mikulski, but it could possibly throw a wrench into the AG race, which Frosh might make a run for (yes, THAT Frosh. Just wait until you see him as AG, he won't have a committe to slow him down). Even at the local level, we could maybe get rid of thugs like Ike Leggett.

So, it's kind of a toss up. I say just pull the trigger and do it.

Agreed. The Frosh/AG aspect gives all new impetus to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom