• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Just wait 'til they mandate self-driving cars (prior to the eliminate of cars in favour of enforced public transportation). It's coming.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

vinjet700

No one of significance
    Mar 1, 2013
    State of absolute disgust
    Bashing the NRA on national tv is also bad for our cause and what we fight for.

Everyone has their own right to express their opinion. You have yours and I have mine. I don't agree with every organization out there, but the point behind my post was, is this really something worth having your life threatened over? No....

I would think threatening someone would stand out a little more than bad-mouthing an organization.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Of course there's no demand for it among current gun owners. There's no demand amongst bmx riders for training wheels either. It's more about getting someone on the fence into our community.

At what cost to our current freedoms? Frankly, the people that would buy smart guns aren't people I want to have guns.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I finally watched the video and read all of the posts. I agree with Andy, but, like his testimony at SB281 (I testified shortly after he did) he said the right things in the wrong way.

By random chance, I watched a segment on a local Roanoke, VA TV news station (live) tonight. The topic was a wounded warriors benefit skeet shoot. It was so pro veteran and pro gun that this whole thread seems like background noise to me. I will never admit to the folks here that I'm from Maryland. It is the polar opposite of MD here with regard to guns.

Anti-gun folks fear: 1) guns, and 2) people who drink, have tattoos, smoke, have shaved heads like skin heads, and seem prone to becoming excessively angry unexpectedly. This video screwed the proverbial pooch, from a PR perspective. Your image aside, it's how you behaved!

Sorry Andy, but please don't drink and drive, let alone talk about gun rights and post YouTube videos.

I'll anonymously send you $$ because I think your heart is in the right place. Focus on guns, not politics.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    At what cost to our current freedoms? Frankly, the people that would buy smart guns aren't people I want to have guns.

Replace the struck out portion with: Assault weapons, more than one gun, NFA firearms, handguns, etc.

Do you still agree with that statement?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    my thoughts on smart guns...
    Don't poke a bear with a stick. It's not good for the bear and it's not good for you.:thumbsup:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I don't know how I really feel about smart guns at this point. Do I want one with current technology? Hell no! But as technology advances, maybe to a point where there is no discernible difference, it would probably be a good thing. Competition to build a better smart gun will make this happen fast. Just think, the iPhone just came out 7 years ago, and now look at the market. The finger print reader on the smart phones are pretty accurate and instant. Fast forward just 2 years, and the technology will probably be perfected. I understand the apprehension and various arguments I myself battle with. Cost? Forced law? Hacking on current models? Reliability? Etc.... But, I also think about statistics. How many people are killed with their own gun? Most people really don't know how they would react when faced with a scenario where you shoot or don't shoot. You hesitate at the wrong time, and now the bad guy takes your gun out of your hand and then takes your life. How many guns are stolen, and then used in the commission of a crime? How many inquisitive kids pick up their Dads loaded firearm and the worst case scenario unfolds? Now imagine a gun on a charging station next to your bed all the time at the ready. But it only works with pre-set finger prints. I think having one always at the ready would be cool. I see one like that being made within the next 2-3 years. If not sooner. Hell! The charging station can double as an alarm clock. Of course, now if this model is made, I'll get a cut, right?:innocent0 What do you think Chad? Can we do it?

Almost no one is killed with their own gun. Stop watching Sci fi. If the bad guy takes your gun he can pistil whip you and kill you in a single blow to the head.

If its an ad or nd no finger print be will make any difference.

Its all BS.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Almost no one is killed with their own gun. Stop watching Sci fi. If the bad guy takes your gun he can pistil whip you and kill you in a single blow to the head.

If its an ad or nd no finger print be will make any difference.

Its all BS.
    I do watch a lot of sci-fi:innocent0. However, the question remains, and it is just that, a question. I am not a proponent of the smart gun. I think you have me confused as an enemy. But, as the technology improves, owning one, may bring positives we haven't really thought of. Lack of fore sight will not stop the evolution of guns. I'm just trying to see the positives. By the way, how many people do have their guns taken from them, and then used against them? By "almost no one" by your account, do you mean one or two?:confused:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    The Antis are already arguing that, with zero being sold. That horse has left the barn.

I do, but do they? Remember, we're talking about people who know squat about guns, safes, gun culture, etc. At most they have a buddy who took them to the range a couple of times.

Here's my problem with that - you're equating two very different sets of people, and saying that because someone who is comfortable around guns and knows what's what with someone who doesn't, and has been told pretty much since birth that "guns are eeeeebil and will kill your children!!!111oneone" Urban yuppies, suburban soccer moms, etc.

I'm not in favor of mandating that all guns should have this technology. I wouldn't buy one. But I think it should be available. A lot of people see it as "the camel's nose under the tent" towards gun control. I turn that on its head - I see it as a potential nose under the tent towards more widespread gun ownership. "Hi, yeah, I bought this 'smartgun' to take to the range, but it's a POS and won't shoot most of the time." "Well, if you're looking for something a little more reliable, we have this Ruger SR22 over here. It's much more reliable, plus it's only about a third of what you paid for that other one. If you're worried about your kids finding it, we have this small safe over here..."

Let's make social engineering work for us, for a change. We can't keep preaching to the choir and expect to win in the legislatures.

Is it a risk? What in life isn't? But with social surveys consistently saying that gun ownership is declining as a portion of households, we need to do something to make inroads. Otherwise we'll lose elections, and thereby lose the courts through judicial appointments, and the 2A two-step will kill our rights.

I don't worry so much about MY rights... I worry about my kids' rights, and my grandkids'.

Cite one. I expect this is all bs 'data'.

Note well. There is no such think as a safe gun. Only safe practice. No such think as a smart gun. Guns do not think people do. Or at least they had better

This smart gun shit will lead to more unqualified gun owners. It will lead to more ad's and nd's not less. Its more Orwell shit and it Has to stop.

Notice this just reinforces the ' its the guns fault 'mind set.

No not smart guns. Trained owners.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    I do watch a lot of sci-fi:innocent0. However, the question remains, and it is just that, a question. I am not a proponent of the smart gun. I think you have me confused as an enemy. But, as the technology improves, owning one, may bring positives we haven't really thought of. Lack of fore sight will not stop the evolution of guns. I'm just trying to see the positives. By the way, how many people do have their guns taken from them, and then used against them? By "almost no one" by your account, do you mean one or two?:confused:

I mean to small to measure statistically. Like ar-15 used in crime.

If you allow folks to solve problems that do not exist you are in fact enabling the opposition.

There is no proposal to ban new tech, but rather a proposal to ban old tech. It is predicate on several false premises. One is the idea that we have a problem that needs solving. The other is a religious faith in technology. Those who understand tech the most tend to be the most circumspect in their claims. This is because they know its limits. We just lost an entire airliner.. give that some thought as you pray to the gods of tech to free us from the need to know what we are doing... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom