• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    If making mistakes is best way to learn, Texas firearms instructor Sgt. Heath Vanek gave his family members a great lesson last month. The Hewitt Police Department officer was teaching them to shoot, and while showing them how to clear the chamber of a jammed semi-automatic … he shot himself in the hand. "(Vanek) said, 'I made a classic mistake,'" Hewitt Police Chief Jim Devlin tells the Waco Tribune. Thanks to the bullet wound in his left hand, Vanek, 35, will be out of work for two months while he recovers from surgery.

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    That sucks for him. I really hope it doesn't affect his job. It rather ridiculous that policeman are punished for incidents like these. Its bad enough the poor guy shot himself and had to live through that embarrassment but further now he has to worry about whether his career will be in jeopardy. One of the few professions where if you hurt yourself off duty with a tool of the trade that it has impacts on your career.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There are two types of instructors. Those who have made mistakes, and those who haven't yet made a mistake.

Personally, I may use this as both a teaching opportunity, and as a reminder to myself to be constantly vigilant.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    wonder what kind of "jam" he had to be able to shoot his hand. double feed, no. stovepipe, not likely. failure to eject, no. hang-fire, well that now is a consideration, depending. head-stamp detonation, no. :smoke: baffled.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    wonder what kind of "jam" he had to be able to shoot his hand. double feed, no. stovepipe, not likely. failure to eject, no. hang-fire, well that now is a consideration, depending. head-stamp detonation, no. :smoke: baffled.

True. I know of no malfunctions that require your hand to be in front of the muzzle. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom