• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott60158

Mar 10, 2013
    Harford
    Is the heavier barrel of the SOCOM necessary for semi auto fire? Does it make the gun too front heavy? I am trying to decide between the SOCOM and the 6920 and don't know if the extra cost is worth it.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    The socom comes with knights ff carbine length rail, ambi safety selector, heavy profile barrel, and matech buis. Also has th estandard m4 stock as opposed to the rogers super stock. Comes with 4 knights armament rail panels, cleaning kit, sling, 2 30 rnd colt mags, and I can't remember anything else. Worked out for me because I didn't want the carry handle, stock, or handgaurd the 6920 comes with.

It's was put out to be an almost identical civilian match to what our military is issued with.

For me it was worth it, and I freakin LOVE mine! Price is also a deal, paid close to that for mine from engage prior to the insanity.

ETA: not cash and carry unfortunately...

I posted this in another thread where the op asked the same question. Main differences listed above. It's really up to you. And no, the heavy profile barrel doesn't make it front heavy. It is only thicker way back under the handguard to my eye.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I posted this in another thread where the op asked the same question. Main differences listed above. It's really up to you. And no, the heavy profile barrel doesn't make it front heavy. It is only thicker way back under the handguard to my eye.

What is a good, decent and great price for the socom (pre craziness and currently). I have a standard 6920 on back order for $1,000. I saw a socom fr about 1450 currently. Thanks

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I got mine for 1550 pre craziness. I would say 1500-1600 is a good price, anything under is a great price pre craziness.

Those prices in today's market should be jumped on immediately!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Have you handled both the socom and light barrel, do you notice a difference?

If weight is an issue, you should probably hold them both before buying. I wouldn't rely on others for that sort of detail. If you can get a 6920 for $1000, prob best to go with that one. That is cheap by even WalMart standards.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have both, I can tell you when running and gunning you do not notice any weight diffrances .i was in the same boat as pmbspyder so it was a good deal for me, I also bought mine precrazyness.

Last edited:

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Negligible difference to me as browning guy said. I had the chance to buy either when I was in the store and went with the socom. I was going to buy the 6920 and swap rails, stocks, grip, etc, so I decided that the socom was a better value. Already comes with all the goodies!

Alphabrew- I can't help myself when I see the titles! It's one of those things where I like it so much, I feel it's my duty to inform others of its awesomeness! I saw you had hands on yours from the ar pic thread...initial thoughts?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    The main reason for the SOCOM in my opinion is collectibility. For just a plain shooter the regular 6920 would be my choice, especially if you might want to put a free float rail on it later (the Knight's rail on the SOCOM is not a free float). However the SOCOM is more unique and will only go up in value with Colt collectors, especially as there is no other way I know of to get the SOCOM barrel. If those ever were to go out of production I think you'd see a substantial jump in value over time.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Alphabrew- I can't help myself when I see the titles! It's one of those things where I like it so much, I feel it's my duty to inform others of its awesomeness! I saw you had hands on yours from the ar pic thread...initial thoughts?

Love it, can't wait to shoot it!! Feels good in my hands. I'm pretty sure my FFL is hoping I don't come back for it! Many thanks for your input before I made the purchase:thumbsup:

Gunny1998

(This Space for Rent)
    Apr 20, 2013
    St. Marys County
    Configuration, application and sense of natural handling is key (IMHO).

I've not shot a SOCOM, but did have several oppotrunities to put hands on them. The version I held had the full length KA quad (extended past the front sight/gas block). Nice weapon, but I really didn't see a need for THAT much rail space and weight. Not sure the heavier barrel would dissuade me from that, and do date have not read of any discernable difference in accuracy over the 6920/6940 barrel.

I've got a LE6920 (w/restricted roll marks) and swapped out the grapefruit sized garbage guards for a Midwest Industries quad, the crap butt stock for a Magpul STR, installed an Ergo Grip, Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard, single point sling adapter on the tube. Depending on what I'm doing, the detachable carry handle swaps out for an EoTech 516 and a Colt/Troy BUIS (same sight on the LE901-16S .308 - stamped Colt as well).

I've also got a LE6940 (w/restricted roll marks), also with a Magpul STR, Ergo Grip, Magpul Enhanced trigger guard, single point sling adapter, and I swapped out the rear stick sight for a Colt/Troy BUIS.

Both are exceptional weapons (IMHO), the only big difference is the co-witness of the 6920 in holo-sight mode (here I prefer the 6940 front sight folding down).

Footnote: if you want to have some serious fun .... get a LE901-16S (.308 AR platform). I find mine much lighter and easier to run/gun maneuver than the DPMS RFLR-OC and I think the ambi controls give it an edge over the Sig 716 (which I have on order too).

OK, I don't mean to sound like a pompus ass ("I have this, I have that") but was the only way I could lend any creedence or validation to my opinions/thoughts.

scott60158

Mar 10, 2013
    Harford
    I am thinking more towards the 6920 since it is $400 less and I have looked at some testing of both platforms. The accuracy between them is very similar. I might want to add a free float rail later but don't see the immediate need. I think I would rather spend that extra $400 on an aimpoint pro. The knights handguard can be found for $150 and the matech rear sight for even less. Since the aimpoint will be the primary optic I don't think the magpul BUIS will be terrible.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Love it, can't wait to shoot it!! Feels good in my hands. I'm pretty sure my FFL is hoping I don't come back for it! Many thanks for your input before I made the purchase:thumbsup:

Hey no problem, glad to help out. We'll be expecting a range report when you get it!!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Shooter's Discount has 6920s and one 6920 SOCOM as I type this. Word of advice, anyone interested in a 6920 SOCOM may want to keep an eye on the Shooter's Discount IP page over the next week or so.:innocent0

scott60158

Mar 10, 2013
    Harford
    Yeah, I have them on my 15-22. Nothing wrong with them at all, good stuff. Nt Troy, but you're also not paying Troy prices either.

what makes the troy better, the metal construction? Better sight picture? I havent heard anything bad about the magpul other than they are polymer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom