New Bern, NC

Attachments

• scatterpox3.jpg
      scatterpox3.jpg
      24.4 KB · Views: 715

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    As it's my first shotgun, are there any tips I should know about concerning firing/cleaning? It's a smooth bore so there's not much worry about types of shot, I assume.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    As it's my first shotgun, are there any tips I should know about concerning firing/cleaning? It's a smooth bore so there's not much worry about types of shot, I assume.

What choke is it? Check before you fire slugs.

Make sure the action is nicely oiled/lubed. Make sure the barrel is clean and free of obstructions.

You should be able to find a website that tell you exactly what kind of gun it is (Remington, Mossberg, High Standard...whatever) and you should print out the owner's manual.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    It's a Remington 878 and mfg began in June 1967 and ended in 1969. Some were still around in 1970, but are 1969 models.
    9291 of these were Made. Remington referred to them as the "879" on the assembly line and none appeared in any Remington literature.

They featured a Wards checkered pistol grip stock with a Firestone rubber recoil pad. 2 shot magazine.

Great find!

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

Before i shoot a new firearm I field strip and clean it first. make sure all parts look in working order. If i don't know how I google for an owners manual or youtube might have a video.

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Apparently I can get manuals for obsolete Remingtons on their website, so I'll check that out tomorrow morning.

I took it apart as much as possible the other day and everything seems to be in good working order. I don't know much about the piston in there but it looks fine and the spring feels nice and tight. I'm still not sure about the choke but that's something I'd like to find out about soon.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    Good purchase. The 1158 was a good gun, the one right before they started making the 1100. I would scrounge around and find the right cap for it and maybe a replacement recoil spring, as that might have been shortened to make the gun work. I have a buddy who has had one since new... his firt shotgun. He had the receiver nickle plated and the wood refinished after hunting it hard for many years. Really sharp looking now. You might also want to search for an owner's manual for it. Try ebay or some of the auction sites.

As to shooting slugs.... you can shoot foster type slugs or Brenneke (sp?) out of any choke. They are designed that way. They are generally more accurate out of an IC or something close to that.

Last edited:

mybreathyourlung

Aug 16, 2010
    Hagerstown
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Took it to a friends house yesterday and fired shot and slugs from it and it was great. Shot accurately and without any problems. Not bad for $170.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom