• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It's not a risk to the childs life, its a risk to the child's hearing.

The state of the science is: Sheep should not fire howitzers 20 times. It will break the hair cells in the inner ear which will cause some (unknown) amount of hearing loss.

Short of sheep firing howitzers, other things with noise levels similar to a shotgun: Fireworks, NASCAR and drag races, rock concerts, construction sites, and airports (jet engines).

It not single exposure either, it's cumulative exposure. And, protection - outdoors sound dissipates more than indoors (where it reflects), clothing absorbs sound, etc. A three hour indoor rock concert next to the speakers is (potentially) worse than the same time outdoors dove hunting in hunting gear.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    It's not a risk to the childs life, its a risk to the child's hearing.

The state of the science is: Sheep should not fire howitzers 20 times. It will break the hair cells in the inner ear which will cause some (unknown) amount of hearing loss.

Short of sheep firing howitzers, other things with noise levels similar to a shotgun: Fireworks, NASCAR and drag races, rock concerts, construction sites, and airports (jet engines).

It not single exposure either, it's cumulative exposure. And, protection - outdoors sound dissipates more than indoors (where it reflects), clothing absorbs sound, etc. A three hour indoor rock concert next to the speakers is (potentially) worse than the same time outdoors dove hunting in hunting gear.

x2

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Do you know what my favorite part of this thread is??

How a bunch of guys without vaginas or uterus's are arguing about what's best for those of us who do have them and occasionally use them to grow lifeforms. It's so reminiscent of the abortion battle it's almost spooky.

You don't see me walking into a men's forum and commenting about the best ways to check testicles for cancerous tumors, but men as a whole feel it's not only acceptable but ideal for them to comment on women's health issues.

Then again, no doubt all of you, especially those using derogatory terms for those who disagree with your stance, are all medical doctors and other such experts on female bodies, pregnancy and fetal health. :rolleyes: What a joke.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

How a bunch of guys without vaginas or uterus's are arguing about what's best for those of us who do have them and occasionally use them to grow lifeforms. It's so reminiscent of the abortion battle it's almost spooky.

You don't see me walking into a men's forum and commenting about the best ways to check testicles for cancerous tumors, but men as a whole feel it's not only acceptable but ideal for them to comment on women's health issues.

Then again, no doubt all of you, especially those using derogatory terms for those who disagree with your stance, are all medical doctors and other such experts on female bodies, pregnancy and fetal health. :rolleyes: What a joke.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

I love it. Two Snaps up.. :lol2::lol2: Go girl
    Coop

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie

Yup. Cause we're not allowed to know anything about science because we don't have vaginas. That makes sense. Of course it has nothing to do with the fact that this is a predominantly male forum; nope, we must be actively preventing females from participating in the discussion. I mean, there's no possible way a pregnant woman has or could ask one of us, knowing that we are firearms enthusiasts, if shooting while pregnant is safe, and we'd like to know what to tell them. We just want to tell women how to run their lives, right? :sarcasm:

Since you have all the requisite parts, why don't you educate us troglodytes about how your field of expertise relates to our hobby?

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Pregnant women should only shoot suppressed firearms. It's good for the baby.

I would not be terribly concerned about lead. I see several shooters as patients who shoot frequently and cast their own boolits. They have asked for lead levels. All have come back low.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    No doubt she would have made out just fine. However, what about the unborn fetus? That is the question.
    I understand, but not entering in that debate,sorry.. lol

Just happened to be at that shoot with SE and her better half and some other shooters. It was not a blast fest, the birds were a bit slow, but she shot, killed and had fun doing it. I actually applaud her effort. It was hot.. lol

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    Only thing bugging me is sound travels through water almost unhindered. The fetus is at present, suspended in amniotic fluid, right? Or has this already been said?

We know two things from this thread:

1- There was a study posted above on sheep fetuses. Pregnant sheep should not fire howitzers 20 times or some of the hair cells in their inner ear will break. If you are a pregnant sheep, you might consider this.

2- Everyone has an opinion on what pregnant women should or should not do. From experience, when my wife was pregnant, this is not confined to MDShooters. Everyone on the planet seems to feel qualified to offer an opinion on child rearing and pregnancy. The funniest of course is my SIL who is now doing all the things she swore she would never do and told us not to do.

Everything outside of 1 and 2 is speculation or at best an educated guess. My advice, don't tell pregnant women with guns what to do, or not do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

1- There was a study posted above on sheep fetuses. Pregnant sheep should not fire howitzers 20 times or some of the hair cells in their inner ear will break. If you are a pregnant sheep, you might consider this.

2- Everyone has an opinion on what pregnant women should or should not do. From experience, when my wife was pregnant, this is not confined to MDShooters. Everyone on the planet seems to feel qualified to offer an opinion on child rearing and pregnancy. The funniest of course is my SIL who is now doing all the things she swore she would never do and told us not to do.

Everything outside of 1 and 2 is speculation or at best an educated guess. My advice, don't tell pregnant women with guns what to do, or not do.

Sounds like a good ending to this thread. I'm done :deadhorse:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

I could care less what other people do while pregnant or while raising their children, unless it happens to be my wife and happens to be my child.

Then again, if they are letting them eat lead paint chips such that the kid is going to be disabled for life and a ward of the state, that is my tax dollars at work for their screw up. Then, how many of us on here blame the state of the country on terrible child rearing? I know I do sometimes.

So....................

Back to the crux of the thread. If somebody wants to take the risk of harming their unborn fetus, that is entirely up to them as long as they are willing to deal with the consequences.

Feb 28, 2013

Obviously I don't have your genitalia, or your knowledge of the female body.

But I would have to agree with ProShooter in that I would absolutely NOT take a pregnant woman hunting or shooting. In my mind the risk just by far outweighs any benefit.

The little one waiting to be born deserves better.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I have kids. Do you? I know it really grinds your gears but I had a say during pregnancy and my wife listened. Just like how I don't do things with the kids that she doesn't like. Its called mutual respect and proper parenting. Yeah, please school me on that. Having 5 kids and being involved with firearms I educated myself on what my pregnant wife and unborn kids were safe around.

Men get to the their wives what to do and women get to do the same. That's like some caveman stuff isn't it.

Good of you to bring up your support of "choice" to terminate a baby. Pat yourself on the back. Yay.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Pregnant women should only shoot suppressed firearms. It's good for the baby.

I would not be terribly concerned about lead. I see several shooters as patients who shoot frequently and cast their own boolits. They have asked for lead levels. All have come back low.

Can you tell these people how long it take for the lead to leave your body? I am sure that most of them will be surprised to know that it leaves very quickly.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Just because one doesn't have a vagina doesn't mean they cannot make comments on pregnancy related issues. People have knowledge of various topics. Pregnancy is an issue that men are, in fact, concerned about. We love our wives and love our children. In this instance, shooting while pregnant is something many members have probably given some thought to. Nobody is telling you when you should get mammograms or what the appropriate pap smear interval is. Women who feel men cannot comment on women's health issues because they don't have a vagina drive me nuts.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Can you tell these people how long it take for the lead to leave your body? I am sure that most of them will be surprised to know that it leaves very quickly.

If you ingest lead, it is gone within a couple of weeks. About 1% is stored in bone and it takes about 10 years to be eliminated. Children excrete lead a little differently. They retain most of it. Poisoning requires prolonged ingestion.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I could care less what other people do while pregnant or while raising their children, unless it happens to be my wife and happens to be my child.

Then again, if they are letting them eat lead paint chips such that the kid is going to be disabled for life and a ward of the state, that is my tax dollars at work for their screw up. Then, how many of us on here blame the state of the country on terrible child rearing? I know I do sometimes.

So....................

Back to the crux of the thread. If somebody wants to take the risk of harming their unborn fetus, that is entirely up to them as long as they are willing to deal with the consequences.

True. At the same time people are very bad risk managers. They tend to overstate the risk of unusual or sensational things (plane crash, mass shooting, pregnant woman at the gun range, omg!) and understate the risk of mundane things (fatty food like fries and burgers, hot/cold weather, chemicals under the sink, the drive to the grocery store). They also tend to think that they are "avoiding" risk, when in fact they are trading one risk for another. The correct answer to most risk management questions is "it depends."

Personally, I blame the state of the country on too many people butting into other peoples lives trying to make decisions for them. When enough buttinskies get together, they pass a law. It's the curse of cushy lives, people do not have enough of their own problems to address, so they try to solve other peoples.

I also find it kind of amusing that 2nd amendment "supporters" think there is some exception for pregnant women. As in: I don't serve pregnant women because they don't have 2nd Amendment rights? Firearms are dangerous. They are dangerous in different ways for different people. MD gun laws are pretty heavy on the "dont do this for your own good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom