• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    At Cabelas today and had me thinking are some calibers not worth reloading ?

Looking at 45 brass , 100 count unprimed was 38.99 while a 100 count of rounds was 46.99 .

for 8 dollars without the cost of primers , powder or bullets seems that 45 isn't worth reloading.

I see that once I fire these 100 rounds I will have the brass so it would be cost effective but how many times can you reload the spent brass?

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    It's a lot cheaper per round than boxed ammo and you can tune your loads to your guns.
    BUT, the more you reload, the more you shoot so it is nothing but another way to spend more money.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    45, you keep reloading it until the brass shrinks to oblivion (semi-joking).

I've got casings that are beyond their 12th loading, still going strong.

Depending on caliber, it can be VERY cost-effective.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    At Cabelas today and had me thinking are some calibers not worth reloading ?

Looking at 45 brass , 100 count unprimed was 38.99 while a 100 count of rounds was 46.99 .

for 8 dollars without the cost of primers , powder or bullets seems that 45 isn't worth reloading.

I see that once I fire these 100 rounds I will have the brass so it would be cost effective but how many times can you reload the spent brass?

Buy the 100 rounds for $46.99 and reload that brass the next 1000 shots will be about $15 per 100.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I load .45 ACP at $0.137 a round. It's not particularly cost effective to load FMJ, so use cast or plated. I pay $0.094 per for my cast slugs from Missouri Bullet (their 230gr Softball).

My range has plenty of brass. I've never bought .45 ACP brass because there's so much lying around. I've heard of people getting 140 reloads out of .45 ACP and .38 Spc cases. I have a few cases that I picked up that have clearly been loaded a lot such as ones where the rims are so dinged up that they look like gears, ones with the headstamp almost illegible, and nickle cases with almost no more nickle on the rims.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Geez, yet another "economics of reloading" thread...

Short answer is yes and no. After almost 30 years of reloading experience I reload over 30 different calibers to feed my toys. Some toys could not have range days otherwise.

The OP asks about reloading 45acp. Using free range cases I've accumulated and home cast boolits I reload the round for < 10 cents each.

Is reloading worth the time and effort? It is for me.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Guns are expensive. Factory ammo is expensive. Reloading equipment and components are expensive. But with handloading, you shoot larger volumes of tailored ammunition than you could otherwise shoot with the same expense. Which means that because you can shoot more, you can avail to yourself the opportunity to shoot more rounds more often. And tailored rounds combined with greater repetition tends to allow you to shoot better. To me, the sum of the parts equates to priceless.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    If you have kids and/or a needy partner it may not be worth it in the long run when it starts taking you away from the family.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I reload 37mm, cause if I didn't it runs around 13.00 a round. Other than that, I stick to russian ammo 14.00 per 50.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Let's see here. I reload 308 "match" ammo for 50c per round, where FGMM is going for $1.50-2.00 a round. You never compare your reload prices to the cheap stuff at the store, you compare it to "match grade" ammo.

I did the math on 223 reloading and found that I can make "match grade" varmint ammo for about 25c per round, but to buy FGMM it is about $1.00 per round.

Is 2-3 hours out of my life, per 1k rounds, worth me saving $750 on 1k rounds of 223 or $1500 on 1k rounds of 308? Your damned right it is!!! But then again, what do I know? I did spend the money on a Dillon 550 progressive press.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    If you have kids and/or a needy partner it may not be worth it in the long run when it starts taking you away from the family.

I have had some of the best times and conversations with my son while we are both spending time in the reloading room. And I am too old to tolerate a needy partner.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think a lot of it depends on how you want to look at reloading. It can be time consuming, but most people reload as part of their hobby, so they (I) don't mind putting in the time and don't factor the time into the cost.

Here's something to consider:

A box of 50 of basic Winchester 240 grain jacketed .44 mag ammo is currently running $46.99 at Midway USA. This isn't a special ammo - more like a plinking ammo, if you consider anything with 44 mag "plinking."

My Dad had a bullet casting setup, and he had a setup with the local Farmer's Co-oP where he'd get a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights a couple of times of year.

So when you consider that once he was tooled up, he was casting bullets essentially for free, minus his time of course, back then it was about 2 cents per primer and about a penny's worth of powder, so 3 cents per round. Compare that to Winchester WW .44 mag ammo:

$46.99 per box of 50
    vs
    $1.50 per box of 50

I realize that not everyone is into casting, so let's factor what a box of plated .44 mag bullets costs from XTreme bullets - $61.50 per box of 500, or a touch over 12 cents a bullet. At today's rates, it's about 3 cents per primer and about a penny's worth of powder, which runs our cost up to about 17 cents per round, or $8.50 per box.

That's still WAY cheaper than buying .44 mag ammo with the added bonus that you get to choose how to put the load together.

Of course you'll need brass, but that's easy enough - buy some bulk ammo with reloadable brass, save it, scrounge any extra you can at the range, and over time you'll wind up with a fair amount of brass. As for how many times it can be reloaded, that depends on certain factors, but generally you reload until you start seeing signs that it's done for - typically cracks and that sort of thing.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Nice post! I primarily load for handgun, and since all I'm doing at the moment is punching holes in paper at the range, I'm doing everything I can to keep it as cheap as I can get it, although I recently moved to plated bullets from hard cast bullets - they make for a cleaner shooting experience all around - less smoke, less smoke/powder residue and it eliminates the issue of leading in the barrel, which is aside from the fact that I can shoot them in my polygonal rifled USP barrel.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    OK, so if I were to make the investment to get into reloading, which of these calibers I shoot would be "cheapest" to consider reloading:

9mm
    40S&W
    45ACP
    30-30
    7.62x54R
    12G - Trap & Sporting clays from an Autoloader if it matters

Also, what gear would a newb best get started with, new or used...

TIA

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    OK, so if I were to make the investment to get into reloading, which of these calibers I shoot would be "cheapest" to consider reloading:

9mm
    40S&W
    45ACP
    30-30
    7.62x54R
    12G - Trap & Sporting clays from an Autoloader if it matters

Also, what gear would a newb best get started with, new or used...

TIA

All of them, except for the 12G.

You will see massive savings on the 762x54R versus buying brass cased stuff at the store. Same thing with 30-30 and 223. Your margins will drop some when you get into pistol calibers, but you will still be saving a decent amount.

The real question I have to ask is what do you shoot the most of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom