• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    One of my LEO buddies told me that he just executed three warrants brought to him by MSP for potential violations of Maryland's 2013 Gun Safety law.

Apparently, MSP is subpoenaing sales records for online vendors who will ship parts in to MD, and if the parts don't jive with the current law, warrants are issued.

He mentioned that MSP is also using records from sales of lowers to help target individuals. I don't know how that would be accomplished, but he said that it would be a "flag" to cross reference with the online sales records.

I don't doubt that at least part of this is true (I'd be stupid to doubt ANYTHING like this in this day and age), but it screams a little of big-brother-gov't snooping. The takeaway message for me was to be careful with online purchases.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    No offense but I call BS. No judge in their right mind is gonna sign a warrant for a non Hbar upper purchase or muzzle device or whatever based on MSP lower records!

Maybe illegal attempted sales of banned guns on like armslist or something but NO CHANCE based on like a Midway purchase!

I've had judge decline search warrants with WAY more legit PC

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    my first guess is that your leo friend misunderstood what he was talking about. my second is that you misunderstood what he is talking about. my third guess is that your post is entirely one hundred percent accurate, but that the people named in the warrants were openly flaunting or bragging about breaking the law online, like on a md gun trader page on facebook.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    No offense but I call BS. No judge in their right mind is gonna sign a warrant for a non Hbar upper purchase or muzzle device or whatever based on MSP lower records!

Maybe illegal attempted sales of banned guns on like armslist or something but NO CHANCE based on like a Midway purchase!

I have to agree. Sounds like BS to me.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I know that sometimes prohibited people/felons purchase ammo/parts and through investigation pc for a warrant is found. But that's not random spot checking.

i.e., you're a prohibited drug dealer, your competition or ex gf knows you bought or own stuff, they pull records and develop pc.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    ... people named in the warrants were openly flaunting or bragging about breaking the law online, like on a md gun trader page on facebook.

I think this is the most likely scenario. A personal aquantance of mine was prosecuted and convicted via crossreferencing his Facebook page with his history. He was unaware that he had become a prohibited person.

I suspect that MSP has compiled a database of all prohibited persons in MD and continually or automatically follow them on social media for possible violations.

The software tool would not be that hard to develop.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    lol...

so while there hasn't been one reported case of the state police or any local leo, going to a public range and running serial numbers, measuring barrel thickness or OAL since the bill went into effect. MSP is jumping directly to search warrants.

no... it doesn't work like that. By chance is you buddy messing with you, we love messing with this one retarded guy at work as he quite gullible, we had him believing that Obama signed an executive order that world force him to move out of his house so that it could be turned into section 8 housing.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Maybe i wouldn't put this past some activist judge, but i can't imagine that warrant standing up. But then again you live in a state that taxes you for water falling from the sky. So a warrant searching for mickey mouse under pluto's left ear may be status quo.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    lol...

so while there hasn't been one reported case of the state police or any local leo, going to a public range and running serial numbers, measuring barrel thickness or OAL since the bill went into effect. MSP is jumping directly to search warrants.

no... it doesn't work like that. By chance is you buddy messing with you, we love messing with this one retarded guy at work as he quite gullible, we had him believing that Obama signed an executive order that world force him to move out of his house so that it could be turned into section 8 housing.

I'm still mad the the writers of The Wire for killing Stringer off.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    ...Apparently, MSP is subpoenaing sales records for online vendors who will ship parts in to MD, and if the parts don't jive with the current law, warrants are issued.
    A common mistake, but I believe the word you are looking for is "jibe."

jibe
    verb
    be in accord; agree.

jive
    noun
    1. a lively style of dance popular especially in the 1940s and 1950s, performed to swing music or rock and roll.

•swing music.
    •a style of dance music popular in South Africa.
    "township jive"

a form of slang associated with black American jazz musicians.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    A common mistake, but I believe the word you are looking for is "jibe."

jibe
    verb
    be in accord; agree.

jive
    noun
    1. a lively style of dance popular especially in the 1940s and 1950s, performed to swing music or rock and roll.

•swing music.
    •a style of dance music popular in South Africa.
    "township jive"

a form of slang associated with black American jazz musicians.
    Or the movie Airplane.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

This /\, a hundred times, THIS /\

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    What parts are illegal to buy for repair of legally owned preban firearms?

Mags over 10 rds. Might not be "repair" parts, just online purchases of firearm products.

I can't see the MSP being detail oriented to read invoices and know what the hell they are reading.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

Ehh, no offense, but the courts have shown a near complete disregard when it comes to 2A. It pretty much seems like you could write "guns are bad" and the courts will give you just about anything you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom