• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    rape, assault, stalker, or doctor, lawyer, politicians friend, prints and paperwork. I think that about covers it doesn't it?

Just being a doctor won't get it. You need to deposit money or transport narcotics.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I help a close friend with her jewelry business and she has agreed to provide a letter that describes my role in delivering diamonds, finished jewelry etc. to her clientele in Maryland. Her business is incorporated in the state and she has a commercial store front. In reviewing the application, I had a question regarding the other documentation. Since my employer is not applying for a permit herself does she include the deposit slip copies and cash flow information with the letter describing my duties? As I will not be making deposits on behalf of the business it does not appear that the cash aspect applies.
    (Excerpt from MSP App.)
    Owner or Employee of a Business: Submit photocopies of the Traders License or Business License, and if the purpose of the permit is for:
    (i) Making deposits: Photocopies of six (6) random deposit slips for the business showing the deposits within a year of the application submission date or a letter from the bank attesting that your business has a monetary flow.
    (ii) Cash Flow: Photocopies of Ten (10) receipts showing purchases for supplies and/or payments received for services.
    (iii) Requesting a permit for one of your employees, or if you are an employee and you have permission from your employer to obtain a permit: A letter from your employer on the business stationery, explaining in detail why you need to carry a gun as part of your duties.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    The requirement (iii) is quite clear. You are correct that deposits and cash flow are irrelevant. Depending on the trooper MSP may ask for a copy of the articles if inc or business license and/or proof of the high value of the items you transport.

Be prepared to produce a IRS W2 as proof of employment, a letter from your employer detailing your duties & endorsing your application, and stating the type of firearm as well as details where it will be secured when you are "off-duty".

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Just received a letter asking for a letter from my broker that says they are "asking that I be armed during my work duties". Problem is they are not my employer, I am self-employed. I explained this to the interviewing trooper. I am going to try and call to speak to the licensing dept tomorrow, but I don't know how they come up with wanting my broker to state that they are asking that I am armed.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Just received a letter asking for a letter from my broker that says they are "asking that I be armed during my work duties". Problem is they are not my employer, I am self-employed. I explained this to the interviewing trooper. I am going to try and call to speak to the licensing dept tomorrow, but I don't know how they come up with wanting my broker to state that they are asking that I am armed.

More likely they asked for a letter from your employer endorsing your application.

If you are self employed, write a letter endorsing your own application, state what type of firearm (model) you plan to carry, and where it will be secured "off duty".

If they keep giving you crap (they still can't fathom the concept of sole proprietorship as a business model), register a trade name ($25) and provide them that license (eg Montoya Realty Team) instead.

Remember, it's not about common sense, or even public safety - it's about creating barriers and hurdles and thoughtless, blind political obedience.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    When did all this "where it will be secured off duty" come into play? As a business owner I was never asked this. Is that for employees of a business only?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Can't make this shit up.......

They did the EXACT SAME THING to me over 10 years ago when I applied as a sales agent. I was working for L&F in Elkton, the wanted a letter from my Broker stating it was required that I carry as part of my duties as an employee, which as you stated, agents are NOT. They aren't dummies and they (MSP) don't want people carrying guns, as much as some of you have been told to the contrary.

What RE Broker wants to be on the hook for giving "permission" for you to carry? It's ridiculous. Wish I still had that letter.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    How they come up with it? Very simple. They want you to go away, they want you to sit there and have to reconcile a conversation between you and your "employer" where you're asking to tote a gun around the office. They want you get as many people in the legal loop of responsibility in the event there is an issue with you while you're carrying. They aim to discourage, .......... period.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    When did all this "where it will be secured off duty" come into play? As a business owner I was never asked this. Is that for employees of a business only?
    When I was one of the original "365" they asked both me and my wife (not an applicant) how I secured my firearms at home.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    The requirement (iii) is quite clear. You are correct that deposits and cash flow are irrelevant. Depending on the trooper MSP may ask for a copy of the articles if inc or business license and/or proof of the high value of the items you transport.

Be prepared to produce a IRS W2 as proof of employment, a letter from your employer detailing your duties & endorsing your application, and stating the type of firearm as well as details where it will be secured when you are "off-duty".

Is there a threshold for the value? You note that the trooper may ask for proof of the "high value" of the articles. FWIW, the average value of these pieces is $10k. As a 1099, I won't have a W2 but I get your point. In the course of my duties a typical task would be to go to the store, pick up jewelry, deliver to clientele and then return home or to the store if there were additional deliveries. Firearm would be secured in my home or in the safe at the store when I was off duty. Thanks for your input on this. I've read the entire thread but don't want to make a misstep on the app if I can avoid it.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Same here. The interviewer asked what model and caliber I would mostly carry but nothing about where it will be stored "off duty".

Are you ever "off duty"? I know I get calls at 10 and 11 pm with fires and pipe bursts. I seldom leave my house when I am not working.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Is there a threshold for the value? You note that the trooper may ask for proof of the "high value" of the articles. FWIW, the average value of these pieces is $10k. As a 1099, I won't have a W2 but I get your point. In the course of my duties a typical task would be to go to the store, pick up jewelry, deliver to clientele and then return home or to the store if there were additional deliveries. Firearm would be secured in my home or in the safe at the store when I was off duty. Thanks for your input on this. I've read the entire thread but don't want to make a misstep on the app if I can avoid it.

A criminal will have no idea if the deposit envelope contains cash, checks, negotiable bonds or non-negotiable instruments.

In my experience, the MSP neither knows, nor cares about the value of the cash, check, or other asset - they are just checking a box on the interview form. Most have zero training that corporations don't have "owners", or that sole proprietorships are the most common and oldest form of business - going back to before Christ.

I might suggest you supply them with an appraisal of various pieces of jewelry you have transported, but the key, IMHO, will be the deposits, because that's what the bureaucrats are familiar with approving.

Also, I would not toy with carrying outside your [unconstitutional] restrictions. Doing so will most likely result in charges (even after a self-defense shooting), and may result in you being prohibited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom