Still confused, Can I drive to range with non HBAR AR15 which I owned before new law?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sar315

Feb 25, 2012
    Still confused, Can I drive to range with non HBAR AR15 which I owned before new law ?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can even drive to a range out of MD and bring it back.

Basically, there are no different limits for a pre-10/1/13 rifle that is now banned, than any other rifle.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    In flying, there is a thing called a "ramp check", where an FAA official actually requests to see "your papers". In 30+ years of flying all over the east coast, I've never been approached to see my papers. As to pre 2013 rifles, if "I borrow one" , have it at a range does anyone check if it is mine?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As with the ramp check, are the consequences of NOT being legal worth it?

I have been ramp checked once. But I was flying a show plane (T-34) at the Frederick air show.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... As to pre 2013 rifles, if "I borrow one" , have it at a range does anyone check if it is mine?

No one will check your papers.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    While at the range the other day (Savage) the ranger showed up and checked my permit. Didn't ask what guns I was shooting or what size magazines I had or anything like that. :shrug:

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    While at the range the other day (Savage) the ranger showed up and checked my permit. Didn't ask what guns I was shooting or what size magazines I had or anything like that. :shrug:

What 'ranger'? Do you mean range officer?
    What permit would that be? Anything you owned prior to SB 281 would not need a permit, so what is there to check?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    What permit would that be? Anything you owned prior to SB 281 would not need a permit, so what is there to check?

Park rangers. Savage range is part of the state park system.

They stop by to see if you paid for the day permit, or season pass.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD

What kind of permit would you have to have with you for anything you acquired after SB281 was passed? That is assuming you do not have a machine gun, a suppressor, or some other item covered under the NFA.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What kind of permit would you have to have with you for anything you acquired after SB281 was passed? That is assuming you do not have a machine gun, a suppressor, or some other item covered under the NFA.

I believe all of the ranges at the State Parks in Maryland, require you to either pay a daily fee or purchase a yearly pass, both purchases give you a "Permit to use the range" that must be presented on request for the Park Rangers.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Never been to Savage but if it's a state park you can probably buy your pass at Wal Mart.
    There is probably somewhere onsite as well.

I buy my yearly pass to Elk Neck State Forest at Wal Mart.

edit: You can also get them online at the DNR website

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never been to Savage but if it's a state park you can probably buy your pass at Wal Mart.

Thanks, MJ!

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Perfectly legal, just keep ammo in a separate location from the weapon. Cable lock goes a long way too, though, not required.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Where do you go to get the permit? Ranger station on the right(headed west)?

They have a box at the range with envelopes in it. Fill out name and date, put $5 in the envelope and tear off the receipt portion to keep, that's what they check. There's a secure stand/box to deposit the envelope in.

After talking to the ranger on Saturday I don't believe that's the case. He suggested I get a yearly permit by writing to the address on the receipt for details. I believe the one you're talking about is for DNR run ranges vs. Savage as it is a State Forrest/ State Park? The DNR ones run from August to August so you have to watch when you purchase one. He stated the one for Savage was good for 1 year from when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom