• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rodzilla

Dec 22, 2012
    I live out of state but have friends that live in Baltimore. With everything going on right now, they're concerned for their safety. If I were to transport a firearm to Maryland, as long as I transport it unloaded and it's not an illegal to possess "assault weapon," and I maintain possession of it, I should be legally clear, right?

Also, where can I find the latest list of banned weapons that makes a distinction between illegal-to-buy vs illegal-to-possess?

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I live out of state but have friends that live in Baltimore. With everything going on right now, they're concerned for their safety. If I were to transport a firearm to Maryland, as long as I transport it unloaded and it's not an illegal to possess "assault weapon," and I maintain possession of it, I should be legally clear, right?

Also, where can I find the latest list of banned weapons that makes a distinction between illegal-to-buy vs illegal-to-possess?

There are a few rifles that could be an issue but as far as I know there are no banned handguns that you can't bring into the state. On the rifle side of thing if you bought it before 10/1/2013 you would be safe bring it into the state.

Thanks
    Robert

Rodzilla

Dec 22, 2012
    The best I could find going through state law is that a HQL isn't needed for possession/transport, just purchase/rent/transfer. And that the magazine ban doesn't prohibit possession/transport either. All I found on "assault rifle" possession said transport into the State is illegal *unless* it was purchased before October 1, 2013.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...cle=gcr&section=4-303&ext=html&session=2015RS

Wish I could find a bit more clarity on the handguns though...particularly handguns with > 10 round magazines.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    If your friends live in a part of Baltimore where they really need a gun tonight, you don't want to drive there.

Possession of a >10 round mag is not illegal. You just can't buy one or sell one in state. You might want to look at this thread re transport.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=173755

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are impling a handgun , you need to aware of 4-203 , specifically the allowable destinations to be transporting to.

Presumably you meant to say that you were about to come to your temporary domicile in Baltimore. Once there , your trusty Roscoe needs to stay there ( presuming you won't be going to the shooting range, gunsmith , or dog trials during a riot) .

For greater flexability of transport , bring a long gun instead. In that case also be aware of the Balt City ordance stricter than state law.

Best Option : Invite your friends to visit you for a few days instead.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!

You can not transport into Maryland for the reason you stated.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    A person may transport a handgun if they can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:

To or from a place of legal purchase or sale, or repair shop;
    Between a person’s bona fide residences, or between his residence and place of business, if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person;
    While engaged in, or traveling to and from a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping, or dog obedience training class or show; or
    By a bona fide gun collector who is moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition.

During transportation to and from the above places the handgun must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. An additional penalty is provided for any person convicted of unlawfully wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun, if his deliberate purpose was to injure or kill another person.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    clarification, if you are driving your car, legally transporting your handgun unloaded in an enclosed holster, could you be wearing that holster on your person?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, I've got a better suggestion. Instead of you going there with weapons, invite them to stay with you. That's what I did this morning for my longtime friends who live in Baltimore City.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

It it were me, I would leave my black rifles and my handguns at home. I would transport a shotgun or non-AW in the trunk, unloaded, and otherwise in accordance with FOPA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom