• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I think you got ripped off. Of course you should have gotten the 12 round mag with your pistol. Anything up to 20 rounds is legal to transfer within Maryland.

That dealer was either lying, or he was an ignorant fool. Every dealer includes the normal-cap mags, up to 20 rounds, with guns sold in Maryland. It sounds like that guy wanted to get rid of a California magazine, and dumped it on you.

You will have no trouble getting 12 rounders shipped to you.

Please tell us the name of the dealer. He was 100% wrong. If he took advantage of you, he should be exposed here.

They did not take my 12rd mag from me. They just told me for Pistols i could only buy and get shipped 10 rd mags. And they said buying hi-cap mags out of state and bringing them back to MD for personal use was illegal as well.

Did not quite trust their answers so I thought I would get on here and ask. As they are close and reasonable on transfers I rather not urk them. Just not trusting on their gun related law answers.

Dave

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As others have said, the law in MD is capacity 20 or less for purchase/transfer in-state. There is no distinction between rifle/pistol/shotgun mags. Only tube-fed is exempt.

MD law can't regulate what you buy out-of-state. Until standard capacity mags are actually banned for use, it doesn't matter when or how you bought them as long as you didn't do it within state lines.

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    Anyone happen to have any info on the nearest place (out of state) of allegany/garrett county is to purchase some 30 rnd mags for an AR? I have tried in ridgely WV but they want to see ID.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Anyone happen to have any info on the nearest place (out of state) of allegany/garrett county is to purchase some 30 rnd mags for an AR? I have tried in ridgely WV but they want to see ID.

The nations gun show in Chantilly VA, bring cash. . . lots of cash, and buy lots and lots of mags. I bought 24 pmags the last time I was there. :D I will be visiting again to buy a bunch more when I get home from work travel.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... they want to see ID.

Oh, I realize it's the lame idiots at that particular store, but I have to rant:

When you're in West Virginia, you're under West Virginia law!

I can not understand how anybody could think a Marylander somehow carries a restriction with them out of state. There was a post recently about a Virginia dealer with the same insane delusion.

If you go to Nevada, you can gamble and buy prostitutes, right? They won't say, "Oh, Prostitution is illegal in Maryland. Sorry, only residents of Nye County are allowed here."

Where my sister lives in Collin County Texas, it's Dry: Alcohol sales are illegal. When she stops in a liquor store in Dallas they don't check her id and say, "Oh- can't sell to you: you live in Collin County!" It's absurd.

You can drive 80 mph on some roads in Wyoming, even with Maryland tags.

You do not carry your states laws with you. Look at all the Marylanders buying fireworks out of state- and those ARE illegal here! 30 round mags aren't.

Oh the absurdity!

Oh the Fail!

Yet for some reason, people keep asking, "If I'm in Virginia, can I Open Carry?"
    You are not under Maryland law in Virginia!

Okay, got that out of my system.

/Rant

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    If you go up to Phantom, they make you prove that you're not a PA resident.
    Then, they'll sell fireworks to a Marylander all day long.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Oh, I realize it's the lame idiots at that particular store, but I have to rant:

I can not understand how anybody could think a Marylander somehow carries a restriction with them out of state. There was a post recently about a Virginia dealer with the same insane delusion.

If you go to Nevada, you can gamble and buy prostitutes, right? They won't say, "Oh, Prostitution is illegal in Maryland. Sorry, only residents of Nye County are allowed here."

Where my sister lives in Collin County Texas, it's Dry: Alcohol sales are illegal. When she stops in a liquor store in Dallas they don't check her id and say, "Oh- can't sell to you: you live in Collin County!" It's absurd.

You do not carry your states laws with you. Look at all the Marylanders buying fireworks out of state- and those ARE illegal here! 30 round mags aren't.

Oh the absurdity!

Oh the Fail!

Yet for some reason, people keep asking, "If I'm in Virginia, can I Open Carry?"

/Rant

I think you only get to rent the prostitutes :D

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Try Eagle Eye in Keyser, or Knobley Farm sports shop at ridgeville just out of Keyser going toward Romney.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I remember people talking about a way around the CA or the fed AW high cap ban with AR15 pistols, they would weld the mag to the lower and the way they would reload was to disconnect the upper on the back, tip it up and then feed the mag with strippers or something like that.
    I am not totally sure, but I think the MAC 10 can work similarly. Also, it might be possible to remove the floorplate, the spring, the follower and leave the magazine body attached and load from the bottom while upside down and then reassemble if my theory is correct.

Of course this intellectual excercise is pointless when you can do this.....:)

Maybe a long time ago this would work, but CA law states any fixed centerfire magazine of more than ten rounds constitutes an assault weapon (they did this specifically to outlaw SKS). Here is the funny part: An SKS with a fixed 30rd mag in CA is an assault weapon. An M1A with a detachable 20, 25 or 30rd mag (as long as it is in a USGI style stock) is legal.

Or more to the point, If I were to take my M1A and put a device requiring a tool to change mags on it it would, according to CA law, make the gun MORE dangerous by REDUCING functionality.

Pro-Tip: stay out of the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

Oh the absurdity!

Oh the Fail!

/Rant

^^^^ this ^^^^

However, technically, I would recommend never admitting to taking the magazines apart and putting them back together in state. You just constructed a hi-cap. Unfortunately I am quite serious.

Example: In CA you can buy all the parts to make a hi-capacity mag. There is no law against constructive intent(for mags anyway, AWs are a different story). However if you do put them together you have constructed a hi- capacity magazine. But, much like here in Maryland, possession of a high cap is not illegal. However, you better have a good story as to how you came to own them legally (pre-ban, ex-military, inheritance, etc.)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    ^^^^ this ^^^^

However, technically, I would recommend never admitting to taking the magazines apart and putting them back together in state. You just constructed a hi-cap. Unfortunately I am quite serious.

Example: In CA you can buy all the parts to make a hi-capacity mag. There is no law against constructive intent(for mags anyway, AWs are a different story). However if you do put them together you have constructed a hi- capacity magazine. But, much like here in Maryland, possession of a high cap is not illegal. However, you better have a good story as to how you came to own them legally (pre-ban, ex-military, inheritance, etc.)

Why would I need a good story about my hi capacity magazines, they were bought legally in another state and I can legally possess and use them here.
    I've never had a DNR officer or Trooper ever question me about them when they have seen them at the range.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    They did not take my 12rd mag from me. They just told me for Pistols i could only buy and get shipped 10 rd mags. And they said buying hi-cap mags out of state and bringing them back to MD for personal use was illegal as well.

Did not quite trust their answers so I thought I would get on here and ask. As they are close and reasonable on transfers I rather not urk them. Just not trusting on their gun related law answers.

Whoever this FFL is, he's woefully ignorant of Maryland and federal laws. That makes me more concerned that he may actually do something inadvertently illegal, which could get you into trouble later. For example, selling you a new handgun that's not on Maryland's approved roster, or selling you a regulated weapon as non-regulated.

For your own protection, I would strongly suggest finding another FFL - one who knows the law.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    This is what I found on MD gun laws etc:

POSSESSION

No permit is required to possess a rifle or shotgun.
    Possession of a handgun is prohibited by any person who:

a. Has been convicted for a crime of violence.
    b. Has been convicted of a violation of the Maryland Pistol Law.
    c. Is a fugitive from justice.
    d. Is a habitual drunkard.
    e. Is an addict or habitual user of narcotics, barbiturates or amphetamines.
    f. Suffers from a mental disorder and has a history of violate behavior or has been confined for more than 30 consecutive days to a mental facility unless the person possesses a physician's certificate stating that the person is capable of possessing a pistol or revolver without undue danger to the person or others. Such a person is also prohibited from possessing a rifle or shotgun, unless the person possesses an above described physician's certificate.

It is unlawful to possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, or receive a so-called "assault pistol." Current owners may possess such a pistol if it was registered with the state police before August 1, 1994. A registered pistol may be inherited. The following semiautomatic pistols or their copies are "assault pistols":

AA Arms AP-9; Bushmaster; Claridge HI-Tec; D-Max Industries; Encom Mk-IV, MP-9, and MP-45; H & K SP-89 Holmes MP83; Ingram MAC 10/11 and any variations, including Partisan Avenger and SWD Cobray; Intratec TEC-9 and DC-9 (centerfire only); P.A.W.S.; Skorpion; Spectre; Uzi; Weaver Arms "Nighthawk"; Wilkinson Arms "Linda".

After June 1, 1994, It is unlawful to sell, offer to sell, transfer or receive any firearm magazine (except a tube magazine for a .22) that will hold more than 20 rounds. Possession is not prohibited.

Here is a link to the rest of the stated laws:

http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Hey, some awkward things come up now and then when someone digs up an old thread. You weren't the one who brought this ancient thread up, you just noticed Roger's error.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Why would I need a good story about my hi capacity magazines, they were bought legally in another state and I can legally possess and use them here.
    I've never had a DNR officer or Trooper ever question me about them when they have seen them at the range.

It was just an example of how silly magazine laws can be. Obviously MD is better than CA but possession/use in CA is not illegal either. But people get stopped/questioned/detained all the time there. Alls I'm sayin is be aware of the possibility, however slight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom