• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Don't take it to a Smith. This is a factory defect if there is one. Shoot a different brand of ammo and if its still shooting bad, send it back to Mossberg.

If you let a Smith do something and it still shoots bad then Mossberg wont warranty the rifle. Then your stuck paying for whatever is wrong.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Looks like a factory defect, that looks damaged pretty badly.

Don't touch it, call Mossberg and have them make it right.

Be glad you didn't run it with a can. That could have been expensive.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    out of curiosity .. try shootng it without the thread cover.

maybe the barrel face and thread cover face not being flush is affecting the bullet.

Last edited:

Library Guy

Library Marksmanship Unit
    May 25, 2012
    Mr Montoya,

Could you post a picture of the holes the bullets are making? Sometimes there is some distortion simply from the type target backing used.

LG Roy

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Mr Montoya,

Could you post a picture of the holes the bullets are making? Sometimes there is some distortion simply from the type target backing used.

LG Roy

I didn't take any pics, but the shots were not hitting the same spot consistently and keyholing. I am going to have to send it back to Mossberg.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    That was my first thought too. This rifle has no crown and I was shooting 5.56 ammo.

I picked up a few different types of .223 ammo to test.

I don't understand that the rifle has NO CROWN..?

My gut tells me it SHOULD have a crown..?

What do the rest of you guys think..?

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Looks to me like the crown is unfinished. As if a manufacturing/machining step or two was skipped. I would expect the bore edge to be beveled.

That crown is VERY rough. It needs to have a chamfer. Brownells sells tools for doing this. If you wanted , you could take a brass slotted round head screw, fill the slot with valve grinding compound, place the screw in a drill motor, place the screw head against the end of the barrel ( where the lands and groove are ) and
    SLOWLY rotate the screw just a little. You don't need much. Just a little bit of a chamfer ( bevel if you prefer ).

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That was my first thought too. This rifle has no crown and I was shooting 5.56 ammo.

I picked up a few different types of .223 ammo to test.

just saw this..

is the rifle chambered for 556 or 223?

maybe the cause of tumbling.

hgh pressure.

i have made a mistake once over charged a 9mm in glock34..was tumbling.. dropped my charge and it was shooting fine.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That crown is VERY rough. It needs to have a chamfer. Brownells sells tools for doing this. If you wanted , you could take a brass slotted round head screw, fill the slot with valve grinding compound, place the screw in a drill motor, place the screw head against the end of the barrel ( where the lands and groove are ) and
    SLOWLY rotate the screw just a little. You don't need much. Just a little bit of a chamfer ( bevel if you prefer ).

meh.. op need to send it back rather than doing home remedy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Send it back. They will fix it.

Stuff happens. I have had to send a couple of firearms back. One, a .22 pistol, they managed to forget to mill the feed ramp in the frame. :facepalm:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    just saw this..

is the rifle chambered for 556 or 223?

maybe the cause of tumbling.

hgh pressure.

i have made a mistake once over charged a 9mm in glock34..was tumbling.. dropped my charge and it was shooting fine.
    MVP is chambered in 5.56 not .223. It uses AR mags so I am guessing they chambered it in 5.56 so there would be no safety issues as it is sort of sold as a rifle to add to existing ARs so you have something more accurate. I have both also but I only use the MVP for varmint eradication and keep it down to 50-55g varmint loads. But I realise in a pinch I could slap in one of my AR mags that is loaded with green tip 62g mil-spec ammo without worrying.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Take a q-tip with a drip of CLP or other gun oil on it and run it gently in/out over the crown. If there are any burrs they will catch the cotton fibers and you'll be able to tell really quickly.

A good crown, regardless of shape, does not have any burrs to snag on the bullet. Chamfering the edge is one possible solution, but frankly you shouldn't have to do that on a new gun, and really you have no way of doing it accurately with only hand tools and such an out-of-round starting point.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    MVP is chambered in 5.56 not .223. It uses AR mags so I am guessing they chambered it in 5.56 so there would be no safety issues as it is sort of sold as a rifle to add to existing ARs so you have something more accurate. I have both also but I only use the MVP for varmint eradication and keep it down to 50-55g varmint loads. But I realise in a pinch I could slap in one of my AR mags that is loaded with green tip 62g mil-spec ammo without worrying.

Ok.. Thanks

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Send that back to the manufacturer. I'm with Chad on this.

Some crown examples-

-A little shooter of a factory bone-stock CZ452 .22LR-
    20140827_182255_zps3a4117f5.jpg

-A Kidd barrel .22LR-
    20140827_182041_zps9be948df.jpg

-A .187 MOA .308 from Tactical Operations-
    20140827_181939_zps1aed8015.jpg

-A .183 MOA 6.5x55 Swede from Tactical Operations-
    20140827_181915_zps8285d3ad.jpg

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am likely sending it back. My description of a "crown" was originally referring to a chamfer. I have been told that some of the barrels on the MVPs have had a chamfer and some have not. I am going to go back to the shop I bough it from and have them send it back requesting a new barrel/repair and chamfer.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    As you can see, a visible chamfer isn't always the case. The TacOps rifles show a very obvious chamfer, the Kidd barrel shows a very, very small chamfer and the CZ shows a very small radius chamfer that hardly shows up due to my photography skills but that barrel is a little laser for factory work.

I'm not saying that your rifles keyhole problem lies 100% in the barrel crown. There are 10 other machining operations that could ruin the rifle but no rifle should keyhole with any SAAMI spec ammunition. Period. Send it back. I think you got a dud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom