• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I should have my rifle checked by a Smith. It is a cmmg mk3 308 ar.

Long and the short, I realized that a 9 mm brass fired casing had worked itself between the bolt and the carrier on the opposite side of the dust cover jamming up my action ( I was at home getting the rifle ready for cleaning).

Anyhow I ended up mortaring the rifle and getting the fired 9mm case out( brass). Should I go to a Smith? Everything at first appearance looks okay, but I'm worried about the gas tube.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Pull the bolt head out of the carrier and slowly drop the carrier into the upper and onto the gas-tube, if there's excessive resistance, have it checked out by a 'smith - might have to replace gas-tube/gas-key.

If there's no excessive drag, you might have lucked out and not damaged anything.

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    So I took her apart and ran the carrier without bolt down the upper. The key offers a itty bit of added friction slightly on the gas tube, but only if I move the carrier slowly in. No issues with hanging up if I run it a little faster or gravity drop it. With my other 308 carrier from my other rifle it is slightly better, but no real hang ups with either carrier.

The anodizing has a nice scratch opposite the dust cover in the upper...do I need to get it reanodized?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds you like you lucked out.

I wouldn't worry about a scratch, it was going to happen sooner or later. At least it's on the interior and not on the exterior for the world to see.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    If it were mine and i got it out and nothing looks bent or broke, id give it a shot. Your mileage may very..

I had this happen in my rifle two weeks ago. Lucky no one was hurt, my buddy had just fired the rifle and the mag blew apart and locked the rifle up. I cleaned it double checked it all and ran 40 rounds through it this past week.

Attachments

• Kaboom wolf 308.jpg
      Kaboom wolf 308.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads