• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Shot with the Virginia City Marshals tonight. Four stages, 40 rounds, 1 bobble with the rifle. I had no problem keeping empties in the air with this Thunderbolt. Now if they were only available in 44-40...

bigD

Ole Cowboy
    Jun 6, 2012
    Yes, it was an unusual day, I had my first squib in over 60 years of shooting at the June Peppermill Gang match (4th Sunday each month). As always had a bunch of fun. Next time I hope to shoot Wild Bunch, just to give Dan a letter of recognition when he beats me. Thanks for participating Hodge, enjoyed having you as always. (Dakota Ringo here just in case the handle didn't make sense.)

RDavidP

Mar 8, 2007
    Frederick
    I used to do Cowboy action shooting blackpowder cap and ball revolver and cartridge. Got out of it as I did not have much time. That was several years ago. I am curious in knowning how has the powder shortage affected Cowboy Action because I know I went through a lot of black powder shooting just two matches a month. Anyone seeing any affect with the HQL, especially with new shooters? Are there many new shooters coming into the game?

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I used to do Cowboy action shooting blackpowder cap and ball revolver and cartridge. Got out of it as I did not have much time. That was several years ago. I am curious in knowning how has the powder shortage affected Cowboy Action because I know I went through a lot of black powder shooting just two matches a month. Anyone seeing any affect with the HQL, especially with new shooters? Are there many new shooters coming into the game?

The powder shortage has affected smokeless reloaders more than the black soot crowd.

Most pistol powders are in short supply. There are spotting threads in the reloading section.

Not seeing a lot of new shooters. The few I know are just treating it as another hurdle.

Get back out there, RDP!

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Minuteman's a Cowboy Action Shooter! He came out with me to the monthly Mill Creek Wranglers shoot at AAF&G in St. Margaret's.

The dress code is Hawaiian shirts for the July shoot.

013.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I was honored to be invited to shoot in a Cowboy Action event today at Anne Arundel Fish and Game (AAFG). This is the same range I typically shoot a dozen or so times a year, mostly IDPA and 3-gun, but also a few other special events. Although this group of Cowboy Action folks shoot monthly, I consider this a special event for me.

ColYounger1.jpg

It was immediately obvious that these folks knew one another well, and their primary goal was to have fun. This sport is like three hobbies rolled into one: part history buff, part period gun enthusiast and partly competitive. The safety procedures, approach and philosophy about safety was exactly right. The couple times there was anything even remotely questionable, it was gently discussed with that person - and one time it was me! I did not know, but in Cowboy Action shooting you use two pistols. Everyone uses two pistols, you can shoot them several different ways, but everyone has and shoots both pistols. What happened? --> During one of my later courses of fire, I was reholstering (weak handed) an empty revolver and unwittingly touched the hammer enough to 'half-cock' it. My round was over so I holstered it. A few folks rightly noticed this, and I was instructed to lower the hammer, which I did immediately and appropriately. A few minutes later, after showing clear at the clearing table off to the side (different from IDPA or 3-gun); one of the match directors told me that half-cock (even on an obviously empty gun) was a safety, and grounds for a Disqualification (DQ). He related that my round wouldn't be disqualified, in this case. I believe mostly because I was new to Cowboy Action Shooting, never actually posed a hazard and immediately did the right thing to fix it. Every sport has rules that might not be so intuitive to new folks; I really liked the way everyone handled my little mistake.

Mvc-004f.jpg

After the first couple stages, I wished the event was in their customary Cowboy garb; everyone I spoke with had something to say about this cowboy item or that period gun... like I said, it's 3 hobbies in one; that's what I enjoyed the most.

LoneRiders.jpg

Hodgepodge let me use his ammo and guns, and even his spare holster/belt. Very generous of him, and he would only let me buy him lunch in repayment. We traded off guns and he showed me the ropes, helping me load, made sure I understood each stage and generally was in the right place at the right time.

action2.jpg

At one point I found a spent cartridge in my shirt pocked, he related it was from the rifle, then I found a triangular sliver of wood also in my pocket. We searched and finally found the chip missing from his shotgun. I've never seen anything like that, but obviously under recoil, a small piece of wood broke free and landed in my shirt pocket. We're all confident he can fix it with a dab of super glue, but very interesting incident. I hope he takes me up on my offer to let him use my guns/gear at a normal 3-gun or IDPA match.

11780304-large.jpg

A few little things I got a kick out of: In most shooting sports I participate in, each group of shooters is typically called a squad. In Cowboy Action, they call them a 'posse' like from the old west. Even though it was Hawaiian shirt day, most still wore their cowboy hats, boots and other accessories, like big ass bowie knives. The ubiquitous bowie was even featured in one of the stages as a starting prop. Before each stage in IDPA we are asked 'Shooter ready', to which the shooter says or nods 'yes'. In Cowboy Action, the shooter is generally asked if they understand/and are they ready, then the shooter is expected to indicate that they are ready by reciting a few words from the scenario the stage was designed around. What you said didn't have to be perfect, but generally about the scenario, then you next hear the buzzer to start shooting (this element was super cool). Some were: "...I'll have a coffee, he'll have a coffin!", another was, "...I'll cut the cards, or I'll cut you!." It was made much more fun when most of us, would really go with it and yell out the line or improv a bit.

6929639ea373bc429e14638e68301558.jpeg

Most of the regulars had these carts to carry their guns and gear. I've seen a few very serious IDPA shooters do something similar; but the Cowboy Action shooters carts were much more interesting. It was as if they continued the theme of period accurate or at least cowboy western movie accurate. My friend/host, related that obviously real cowboys never had caddies, but it made it much easier to get all the guns and gear to the range, between stages and back to their car. Some were very decorative, hosting saddle bags, drift wood, and resembled 'stage coach boxes' to store ammo and misc cowboy gear. Most had their own caddy, and some had chairs, stools and even umbrellas. This is definitely an expensive sport to get into, but if you do everything right, i.e. join the club, reload, volunteer, etc. nearly anyone can get into it.

Bottom line.

I'm not yet hooked. Although the people were absolutely great Americans, and the conduct of the range was top notch, I just don't see myself taking on another shooting sport that I will be lucky to only participate in a few times this year.

Thanks to everyone that shot with me today that might read this. I would love to attend again soon, when everyone is dressed up in their typical western apparel. That was just as interesting and cool to me as the history of the guns, and the actual shooting competition.

I had a great time, thank you all.

(images from other cowboy action shooting events, not the one I attended)

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    It cost me less $$$ to get into CAS versus 3-Gun. All of my cowboy gear, including extra firearms, cost less than my 3-gun rifle and pistol.

Both can be fairly expensive sports; which is more expensive depends on the cost of the guns, gear and ammo. Most if not all of the Cowboy Action Shooters (CAS) seemed to reload, so that saves a lot of money.

I should have mentioned in my After Action Report (AAR) that just like most other matches I've attended at AAFG, the competitors all had lunch together. The conversation was very friendly and informative. I found the discussion about how CAS competitors routinely out shoot police officers in competition. This doesn't surprise me much as most officers only shoot a few times a year to qualify, and most sports shooters train like crazy.

Doing a little reading on the topic this morning; I'm finding lively debates about who's better between CAS shooters and modern 3-gun shooters.

I would not have thought it would even be close, but I know now that it would really come down to the course of fire, rules, and ultimately the individual shooters themselves (skills, tactics).

If you are unfamiliar with highly competitive CAS shooting, check this out:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If you are unfamiliar with highly competitive CAS shooting, check this out:

Of the matches I've shot at since February, I've seen folks shoot stages in the teens. I'm not there yet :lol:

Is that Bottoms Up Bruce in the background?

I believe I shot with him and Cussin Kate a few months ago at King George, VA. When I heard his alias I laughed as I remember the Kids in the Hall skit about the Bottoms Up club.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    This website says the 'Golden years' of the American Cowboy were from 1866-1886. Does this sound about right to you modern day or wanna-be cowpoke? :)

Yeah, I might go a little past '86, but the great cattle drives were before then. Events like the OK Corral were in the '70s. Once cars came on the scene, things don't seem as "Cowboy".

The reference starts with a quote from The Virginian. Last week was Wister's birthday and the book is planned for the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom