• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I just picked up this Taurus Thunderbolt, which is a Colt Lightning rifle replica, and she's next to my Uberti 1860. Both have case colored receivers.

lightning2_zps1df21dcc.jpg

lightning1_zps5db00c47.jpg

Testing out the Thunderbolt this weekend, she seems to feed my cowboy loads, let's see if she'll work at SASS speeds.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I ran a full mag through the Taurus. It likes the LRNFP loads but not the SWC loads. Slam firing was quite interesting, too.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when I ran a full mag through the Taurus. It likes the LRNFP loads but not the SWC loads. Slam firing was quite interesting, too.

I only shot the 250grain roundnose lead through mine. The only problem I had was operator error, when I didn't pull the slide all the way back. Slam firing was good for effect but I couldn't really hit much. It was a fun rifle and seemed well made.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I only shot the 250grain roundnose lead through mine. The only problem I had was operator error, when I didn't pull the slide all the way back. Slam firing was good for effect but I couldn't really hit much. It was a fun rifle and seemed well made.

It seems these Taurus rifles had problems feeding properly. I wonder how much of that was due to user error or ammo the rifle didn't like? I think I'm going to track down some .45 Schofield and see how it likes it.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    It seems these Taurus rifles had problems feeding properly. I wonder how much of that was due to user error or ammo the rifle didn't like? I think I'm going to track down some .45 Schofield and see how it likes it.

I know the early ones had feeding problems but it was supposed to be fixed later on in production. I think they got a bad reputation on the CAS forums and it killed sales. They're out of production now. I probably put 200+ rounds through mine with only 2-3, if that, operator error feed problems. I used factory ammo and reloads from NSK (Neil Kravitz) who does Maryland gunshows.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Since they've been out of production for a while I'm curious where you found it. I haven't seen any for sale for quite a while.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Taurus had parts left over so they're finishing those and shipping them out at a loss. I got mine from an estate sale, the guy who bought it died the night he bought it, so I have an unfired used rifle. Weird, I know.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I had not heard about Taurus building more Thunderbolts. I think the first bad reviews really hurt sales as I believe they were trying to get into the CAS market. That market seems to be dominated by the Uberti 1873's which have a myriad of aftermarket products to enhance performance in competition.
    Kind of a sucks for the original purchaser. Hopefully your purchase will help his widow, or whoever survived him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom